My dog catching mice/rats

United States
June 26, 2009 8:45pm CST
I saw a post on here about the dogs eating the mice and rats, however how do I kill the rats and mice without harming my dog whom has become a mouser! My pit bull has gotten quite skilled at catching these disgusting creatures and smearing blood on my kitchen floor, however the problem is so out of control that the rats are everywhere, indoors and outdoors around my house. I have 4 dogs and 3 of which are pups. I am scared to use poisons since my eldest has started hunting the mice down and killing them, but there are too many for her to kill. What can I do that will kill them and not my dog?
1 person likes this
2 responses
@psphacker (1055)
• United States
27 Jun 09
Do not kill the rats and mice because remember everything you do comes back to you.
1 person likes this
• United States
27 Jun 09
This is my home not theirs, I do not mind them when they are outside, however not they have reeked havoc on my terf. I want them gone!
1 person likes this
@Signal20 (2282)
• United States
27 Jun 09
You're right, do NOT use any kind of poison. If your dog eats a rat that ingested poison, you will effectively have poisoned your dog as well. I don't blame you a bit for wanting them gone, haven't dealt with rats in the house, only mice, but it was enough to make me cringe. And, both rats and mice can cause major damage to a house-they'll chew wires and anything in the walls. I know a guy who bought a brand new boat, a rat took up residence somewhere in it and completely ruined the boat by chewing up the wiring. My solution at my house was all the cats that ended up at my house-haven't had a mouse since-inside our outside. Sounds like your dog is bringing them inside? Do you have a doogie door or something? If so, close it so you can restrict what he brings inside with him. For inside the house, I had good luck with glue traps. But, as much as I hated the mice, I still had a hard time actually letting them suffer and die on the traps, I don't believe in purposely harming any critter. So I would do a catch and release, and drop them off in a remote field and pour a little vegetable oil on the trap so they could escape. Otherwise look into some humane traps that catch them and doesn't let them escape. Those are really your only options for non-poisonous methods-and believe me I've looked around. Good luck!
@Signal20 (2282)
• United States
27 Jun 09
Also keep in mind, snakes are attracted to areas where there's a high rodent population. I've dealt with that too, a snake in the house....I don't know which was worse lol, ok the mice was worse :)
• United States
27 Jun 09
The rats and mice have chewed a hole under my sink and have come in from the outside. I do not know how they are getting in, we just bought this house last year and we never had a rodent problem until the vacant house next door went up for sale, now they are coming in my house by the dozens. We had some success with glue traps at first but now they avoid them. Now they are chewing the spark plugs in my car, I no longer have AC in my car because they chewed that up too, they also have chewed the vaccuum hose on my car, and I just got my car 5 months ago. I don't know what else to do, I wish I had snakes, I would feel better. I prefer them to the mice/rats. Any other suggestions on getting rid of them?
1 person likes this
@Signal20 (2282)
• United States
28 Jun 09
Just saw this link, scroll down to where it talks about rats/mice. I've heard of using that one before.... http://www.avianweb.com/safepesticides.html Another thing I forgot to mention, make sure yours dogs are up to date on flea medicine. Rats and mice are known to carry fleas, so be sure to use Frontline or Advantage each month for now so you don't end up with a flea infestation on top of it. Might be a good idea to treat the yard as well.