Leftover Onions can be poisonous

@rosey19 (952)
Philippines
November 11, 2009 2:40am CST
Do believe that leftover onions are not safe to use even if they are place inside the refrigerator? There was an email circulating now giving warning to everybody not to use leftover onions for cooking because it can be poisonous. It was a chemist who said it, since bacteria can easily penetrate to it when it was already slice. Do you have experiences having been poison or having stomach trouble after eating this kind of spice?
3 people like this
5 responses
23 Mar 10
I eat refrigerated left over onions all the time and never had a problem. I love onions, always have. Am i the exception? Billy in Florida
1 person likes this
@rosey19 (952)
• Philippines
27 Mar 10
i also use refrigerated onions and i had never experienced any problem. thanks for sharing your experienced. have a nice day.
@cream97 (29179)
• United States
15 Jan 10
Hi, rosey19. This is the first time that I heard about this. When I slice up my onion, I will save the rest of another time. I do make sure that the onion is still fresh. I am unsure if having stomach problems have come from these onions. My stomach has been feeling funny lately. But, I can't tell where this is coming from. I hope it was the onions. It is like my stomach gets an stomach ache. Thanks for this information. I will need to be more cautious about this now.
1 person likes this
@rosey19 (952)
• Philippines
27 Mar 10
we cannot tell if the reason of your troubled stomach is the onions because i've been using left over onions of my food and we don't feel anything after eating. maybe what happen to you was just a coincidence. just becareful in the preparation of the food maybe it's the cause of your stomachache.
@deebomb (15350)
• United States
11 Nov 09
Hello rosey and welcome to myLot. Onions are a very acidic vegetable and are very low in protein. Only foods high in proteins are at high risk for causing food poisoning. Cut onions do have a lot of moisture that can be a breeding ground for bacteria but because that moisture is acidic it drys too fast for bacteria to form. More than likely any food poisoning that is associated with the onions is because the person prepareing the food did not wash their hands or the prep area good. I have saved left over raw onions in my fridge for years and haven't had a problem. according to snope these ideas come from old wives tales. http://www.snopes.com/food/tainted/cutonions.asp http://chemistkitchen.blogspot.com/2009/04/onions-as-bacteria-magnets.html
@rosey19 (952)
• Philippines
27 Mar 10
i also have doubt if the rumor is true because i also use left over onions tot he next food preparation and so far nothing happened to us. thank you for sharing your experienced and the links you provided. have a great day.
@bluray (408)
• Singapore
11 Nov 09
Thanks for sharing useful information.Personally i dont like to store already cu onion as it create very bad smell in the refrigerator and all the food items too starts getting stink.Anyway i will take care of it and provide this info to all who stores leftover onions.
@rosey19 (952)
• Philippines
11 Nov 09
Thanks for responding quickly. All we need to do is to be vigilance in preparing our food.
@Iriene88 (5352)
• Malaysia
11 Nov 09
Talking about this, I remembered an incident that happened to my second brother lately about one month ago. We ate some 'satay' which its condiments are the 'satay sauce' which makes from grounded groundnut paste, some slices of cucumber and onions. That late evening he experience diarrhoe and vomitting and admitted to the hospital. His stomach crammed and he felt weak for the nest few days. I just wonder whether it is the result of eating those sliced onions which could be exposed to some bacteria earlier on. There could be some 'truth' in those emails.
@rosey19 (952)
• Philippines
11 Nov 09
Thanks for the response. It could be true somehow. All we have to do is to make our food preparation very safe so that nothing will happen to us.