Ladies and Gents

I posted a discussion about the term "lady like" and how it relates to women of today. I got good responses, but some of them brought up a good point. When talking about women being "ladies" shouldn't we also discuss men being "gentleman"? Do you think that women are expected to be ladies while being a gentleman isn't as enforced for men? Are both terms out of date? What do these terms mean to you?
@JoyfulOne (6242)
That's a good question. I'm an older woman, what I see is many people expect women to act right and be a 'lady', yet when a man doesn't act like a gentleman, it's often overlooked or ignored. I think men and women should observe the social graces for the most part. (IE: there is a time and a place for everything, a person would probably be more mannerly at a function as opposed to a back yard barbecue) Anymore, it's as if everyone expects an 'anything goes' attitude no matter where they are. I don't think good manners are ever out of date, those are social graces that make us all easier to live with our neighbors in life. I do think though that many men are afraid of some of the social graces because of the women's movement way back when. Some women are offended when a guy opens a door and stuff like that..and voice their displeasure 'I can do that myself!' Here, the guy's being courteous and gentlemanly, it has nothing to do with her ability to open a door. I don't get it, when somebody goes out of their way to be nice like that, a rebuff is not in order, and a simple 'thank you' will do. In my opinion, he's being a gentleman, but that woman is not being a lady. To me, being a lady OR a gentleman, means showing good manners, and treating people nicely.