How do you feel about equality in America?

Since I posted the last discussion, I thought I'd just simply ask how you guys felt about it.
@teresebry (128)
I feel like there is still a lot of work to be done. It's only in my lifetime that civil rights movement began. We still have work to do in narrowing that gap between minorities and whites and we certainly need to work on equal pay for women.
@JoyfulOne (6242)
I think that equality has made great strides in America, but I think we still have a long way to go. I am not racist, and I did not bring my children up to be that way either. I believe we are all equal as human beings, only the color of our skin may be different; we are all Gods children and equal in his eyes, and not one individual, or group, deserves or merits more than the other. I do have some of my own questions about equality that perplex me. Civil rights went a long way over the years to try and ensure that we are equals in the eyes of each other, in the courts, law, workplace, and everywhere else. I do wonder why NAACP can allow black colleges, have black organizations, and such and think that that is equality...if white folk did that, there'd be heck to pay, and they would all be accused of racism. I wish someone could explain to me why exactly this isn't considered racism, only in the reverse? To me, this doesn't make sense, and indeed is at cross purposes to a total removal of the race system that we have worked so hard to eradicate! I still respect their race, I just don't understand this reasoning... As far as equality with women, it is still a given proveable fact that women are still not equals in the work force. We still receive less pay, in some types of jobs, than the men do. According to IM Diversity (online) full-time women managers earned less than their male counterparts in both 1995 and 2000. In seven of 10 industries, the earnings gap between full-time women and men managers actually widened between 1995 and 2000. Although it is said that we are working for equality in the work place for women, it doesn't appear like it's moving ahead, otherwise there would not still be this obvious discrepancy. For more on this please refer to the info at: http://www.imdiversity.com/Villages/Woman/careers_workplace_employment/career_climate.asp While Americans have all been working towards equality in regards to racism, and addressing women in the workforce fairly, I believe there is much more work to be done before things are truly on an equal basis. I just hope the government and people keep on trying!