Ask your boss for a salary raise?

Is it alright to ask your boss for a raise? How do you ask it in a nicely manner? Is it a good idea or not when you know you deserved it?
@magtibaygom (4864)
I did it once. I was working with a Malaysian company operating in the Philippines and have established good relationship with the country manager. One time, while we were dining out, I delivered a good joke that resulted in his giving me a salary raise!
Wow! Amazing.. thats a good effective joke.. i wish i can joke around with my bosses.. haha
I couldn't do that before; there's just something in me that's against asking that question. It's probably one of the reasons why I'm still freelancing, the freedom of being your own boss is liberating.
Well, you got your point. But i think, if you think you deserve to ask, then why not. After all, your just asking. It means you might get a yes or a no. Its worth giving a try.
@besthope44 (12145)
Well when you feel you deserve it and its your right to ask for it.
@adhyz82 (36263)
i think it`s taboo in my culture. and we are too shy when we want our salary is raised to our bos
Yes, it is alright to ask your boss for a raise if you feel in your heart that you deserve it. There is no other way to ask for it but in a professional way.
@p3ks626 (6550)
I think its okay for you to do that especially if you know that you deserve it. I think it will also depend on the company and the kind of boss you have. In my case, even if I know that I deserve to have more than what I receive now, I dont think my boss is ever gone grant me my request if I have to ask him that. I dont he also has the initiative to do that so I really dont expect a lot from him.
@rachael5760 (2725)
• Israel
Yes, it is ok to ask your boss for a raise. You need to go in with a plan and show him that you have been contributing to the profits of the company, and that with a raise for you, you will do even a better job.