Commit her or not

United States
May 31, 2010 12:54am CST
My mother has a problem.. She abuses perscription drugs very badly and has done so for a long time.And apparently I am the only one who can have her committed, but I am scared to. I don't speak to her at all because she had done some horrible things to me and my sisters, and I don't know what to do. I don't really see the point in having her committed because she doesn't believe that she has a problem, and if she doesn't think she has a problem then having her committed won't do any good. So what do I do... let it go or keep worrying over someone who thinks that pills are more important than her children
3 people like this
7 responses
@cream97 (29166)
• United States
16 Jun 10
Hi, LillyBelleDaisyRose. I think that you or someone that loves her should commit her. If no one does, then she is doomed to really hurting herself physically. I hope that someone gets her the help that she needs before her life may be over. Your mom needs help. If you can't help her, even though she has done some horrible things to you and your sisters, I would see if someone of the upper advantage can help her. I am sorry that your mom did you wrong.. I feel like this about my mother-in-law too.. If she ever needs me to do something for her, it will take a whole lot out of me, to decide to help her. That is why people should be mindful how they treat others. They never know when they may need help and don't have anyone to do it for them.
• Canada
15 Jun 10
Have you considered switching her pills for Cannabis. It can releive the addiction without harm. Just a thought.
@chaime (1153)
• Philippines
2 Jun 10
This decision is quite hard I believe. But as one commenter said, it is important to consider your mom's health if she abuses pills then sooner or later it will definitely come back to haunt her. You should consider the pros and cons of having her commit as well as not having her committed. Yes she might not believe that she has a problem but the doctors can convince her of that..maybe having her committed will amount to something and maybe not. The decision is upto you. Set aside all your angst against your mom, don't consider her opinion, cause of course she doesn't want that. consider only what is good for her overall, if she really is addicted to prescription meds then the only one who can help get rid of the addiction are professionals who know what they are doing.
@SirPyan (430)
• Malaysia
1 Jun 10
Commit. That's probably the best thing you can do as her child. Do it even if you have to force her. Well, not physically of course, but never give up talking to her and persuades her to get help. If you are scared, you need to overcome it. I know it's hard. But sometimes, some things are only achievable with a little sacrifice. If you love her, help her. Ask the professionals if you need to, consultants, counselors, doctors, anyone who can help.
@amybrezik (2123)
• United States
1 Jun 10
She is still your mom, and you should be concerned, even if you feel that pills are more important to her than you are. It is most likely, the pills that "control" her mind. Even if she doesn't feel she has a problem-- rehab may still help. Rehab may make her realize that she does-- you never know, if you try, at least you could say that. If you try and it doesn't work- that's not your fault. Have you thought of some sort of intervention?
@charylady (424)
• Philippines
31 May 10
i think it would be best to have your mother committed. that may be the only way to make her realize that she does have a problem. and the professional therapists are in the best position to help in this situation; children and relatives are just too close to the situation and may have a hard time dealing with the problem objectively.
• United States
31 May 10
Hi, Lilly! What a terrible situation! Your mother may not think she has a problem, but good therapists can help her see that and transcend it. Whether you get along or not, her health is at stake. She does need to be committed, and you're the only one who can do that, you must! I wish you the best...