I am so tired, this paint job is taking forever.
November 7, 2010 6:52pm CST
We started the job on Tuesday. The home stager wanted it done in 3 days, my boss said it would take 5 days to complete. We are going to be on day 6 tomorrow, Tuesday was more running around than anything else. But now, 6 days into it, we're not even 3/4 done, and I'm extremely tired. The colors are horrible, none of us understand why the stager wanted such colors in the house, but we can't argue as we're being paid to paint and that's it. We have 4 people painting and you'd think it would be done on time, so why is it taking so long? Instead of using the proper cutting tools for walls, one girl is cutting by hand with a small brush and it's taking longer than it would if she were using the cutting edger. The house wasn't cleaned like it should have been, the cleaner will be coming once we're done painting, which really makes no sense at all. It took us 3 days to get the 2nd floo done, it shouldn't have taken that long. I figured at least a day for each floor, maybe a day and a half at most. I'm working so hard on this job, I haven't had a day off work since last Saturday, and I'm cranky and very tired. Hopefully we'll be done tomorrow, I'm going to be losing money the longer the job goes, I was supposed to make $675 for just under 5 days of work, and now it will be that same amount but for longer time. But we're making progress and are proud of our work, as this is our largest paint job so far, and it's been extremely challenging to say the least.
1 person likes this
8 Nov 10
If we can get a good reference out of it, then yes, it will make it worthwhile. I just wish it wasn't taking so long. I'm allergic to many types of paint, so by the end of the day, I'm breaking out in hives and really can't wait to get out of there.
• United States
8 Nov 10
I recently had a project going where I was renovating an old doctor's office that a man I work for was leasing for another business he owns. It had not been used for a doctor's office for some time, and had recently been used as a Christian based homeless shelter. Unfortunately, the homeless people showed their gratitude for the building owner letting the shelter operate at his building RENT FREE, and for the people who were trying to help them better their lives by operating a shelter for them, by completely TRASHING this building. By the time I started this project, the homeless shelter had been closed, and it was my job to go in and clean it up, which meant pretty much a total renovation. I had to clean out all the stuff the homeless people had left behind. I won't mention some of the things I found, but there were sleeping bags, blankets, clothes, backpacks, and luggage everywhere...all of which smelled like sweat and piss. I also had to rip out all the carpet, which also smelled like sweat and piss. We then tore out a couple of walls and re-molded a couple of rooms. Then came the job of completely re-painting the entire interior and exterior of the building. I pressure-washed the outside of the building, and thankfully, someone else did the scraping and painting out there. My team focused on painting the inside. The man financing the project insisted on buying all the materials, and he also insisted that we NOT use any painter's tape to do the edging. The not taping it up part I could deal with, we edged using thin pieces of cardboard, and it actually worked pretty well. Painting the walls themselves went pretty quickly. They were "off-white" in color, and we just applied a fresh coat (actually TWO coats) of the same color paint to freshen it up. The walls took about three days. HOWEVER, the trim, chair rails, and door frames were all DARK BLUE, the the color that was chosen to re-paint them was WHITE, which wouldn't have been a real problem if the guy had bought a good primer like KILZ, but as you can probably guess, he DIDN'T buy the good stuff. He bought the cheapest primer (AND the cheapest white paint) he could find in a 5-gallon bucket and Wal-mart or somewhere like that. SIX (YES 6) coats of primer and THREE (3) coats of paint on all the ceiling trim, chair rails, and door frames later, we FINALLY got it looking right. Yes you read that correctly...NINE coats of primer and paint (did I mention we were edging with 2" brushes and cardboard) on EVERY piece of trim, chair rail, and door frame. I lost count on how many days this took, but we were putting a fresh coat on everything, then allowing it 24 hours to dry (we were working on this job in the evenings after working our restaurant job and on our days off), so as you can probably guess, this ending up taking a couple of WEEKS. Thank GOD we were getting paid by the hour. We made some decent money on the side, but it was annoying as hell...LOL