The second washing machine to die on me.

Shortly after we moved here, the washing machine that came with the house started to act up. That proved to be a nightmare once it really broke down. It started to leak and flooded our laundry room. So we got a used one from someone, for free. That's what you get when you want something free, something that doesn't work for very long. It's a 20 year old Maytag, and we were told that it probably had a year left in it. But, that was to prove wrong. Try less than 6 months. I was hoping that it was as simple as replacing the belts, but decided to do some research into this. I found an appliance repair forum and signed up. I explained the issue in a post and was quite shocked when the reply came back a short time later. The washer was not spinning on any large cycle, it had to be kept on small otherwise it would just stop. Thinking that replacing the belts would solve the problem, I hunted down information on this, and I stated as much in my post. But when I read the response, I was floored. The repair would cost more than it would be worth considering the age of the machine. The answer came from an appliance repair man with 35 years of experience in the industry. He told me that it was most likely the tub bearing and that it would be a costly fix. So, I got onto the local parts website to look this up. While they don't have tub bearings in stock, I was able to price out the tub bearing repair kit and realized that this repair man was right. The repair kit alone was almost $90. Not worth it when the washer was free. So now, this is the second washer that is destined for the scrap yard, and will be going there once it has been replaced. I almost wish it was the dryer that died, at least we could hang our clothes outside to dry. It's kind of hard to dry sopping wet clothing when the washer stops.
I've had both need some help in the past couple years. The belt on the dryer broke thankfully it was a cheap fix that hubby was able to do. The washer we had the lil sensor on the lid didn't work so hubby rigged that and it worked for 6-7 yrs just fine then it would fill up and then konk out and never finish draining even after futzing with the knobs and such. We haven't had any further problems since we got our new washer about 2 yrs ago. I've had to do my wash by hand that that sux for sure. Sopping wet clothing is heavy and takes all day to dry... nonetheless the dripping along the way.
@cream97 (29166)
Hi. kris182_2000. This gets on my nerves too when an appliance will go out on me. My grandmother told me this week that her washing machine was acting up. She told me that she will probably have to get another one. I could not imagine my washing machine going out. I remember my grandmother used to get her washing machine fixed so many times before. And it was a total mess. So many people fixed it and then she would have to call someone else to fix it again. Apparently the problem was never resolved on this washing machine. She was getting ripped off constantly. I am glad that this repairman on the forum led you into the right direction. I hope that you will be able to get a new washing machine very soon.
• Thailand
I sympathize with him / her
hi kris years back we had the same problem and the repair man showed us that the repair alone would cost almost as much as an new washer,.so we at the time just bought a new model that had been on the floor for a long time and had been marked down to move it now. so we got an efficient washer for half off. Now I would love to have it but not here in an apartment if ever my son gets a full time job so we can afford the retnt. so for now this is just a dream