How to teach my cat to use her toilet?

Germany
I've been having this cat for almost two years, and she is really nice and good, except one thing: she refuses to use her toilet when she must poo :P She is not the first cat I've had in my life, and all other cats that I had could quite quickly and easily learn to use their toilet or to go outside when they have the need to poo or pee. For example, when the cat is two months or so old, and when she does that in my house, I take her, make her smell and even lick her "products" and then led her to her toilet to show her where she should do it. And after two or three times, every cat of mine has understood the point. However, this cat simply won't do it. For some reason, she always does it in the corner behind a super-heavy sofa of mine where it is for me hardest to reach or to clean. Also, she had four baby kittens last autumn, and she had also taught her babies that they should do it there in the corner, and not in their toilette! Sometimes I hate her so much for that! I must also say that it is impossible for me to give this cat away or to give her to shelther, because my kids are very attached to her and they would never forgive me if I give her away. Any advice? How can I teach my stubborn cat to use her toilet?
@NailTech (6892)
Hi Polgara~Firstly, I wouldn't recommend you teaching her to lick " her products", that doesn't solve anything nor does punishing her. How old is this cat? Do you take her to the vet and find out if she has any health related problems? Sometimes a cat will do that when they have an onset of an illness. I have had many cats so please don't think I'm just chiming in without any knowledge of cats. I am trying to help. I'm sorry if she "taught" her kittens to do this also. It is a learned behaviour just like adult humans do with their kids. The cat might have some issues with other things in the home. You did say there were no other cats, right? I'm hoping she isn't ill, that is the only other thing that comes to mind when I hear things like that.
@NailTech (6892)
You can also try to clean there in the corner with some sort of orange and/or vinegar smelling cleaner, even a home made type with vinegar and orange in it mixed with some water, cats hate those. They will deter from the area if it is cleaned right. And it will get rid of the smell that's in that corner that tells her she's pooped there before and that it's OK to do it again and again.
Well, I took her to the vet, and talked about the problem, and "licking of her products" was actually his idea :P She seems to be perfectly fine and healthy, she is quite a normal cat, very lovely and sweet, she likes kids and even dogs (she lives with our dog, but there are no other cats here), and in all other aspects, she is just a cat like any other. At least the vet did not find anything wrong with her. I did not try vinegar specifically to clean her corner, but I use even stronger chemicals to clean her waste (for example, the chemical for cleaning the most dirty areas in the home, the oven or fat or toilet), and trust me, it stinks terribly. But I will give it a try with vinegar+orange+water, it costs me nothing to try. I also have had a lot of cats before, but never this kind of problem. I even helped other people teach their cats about the same problem, and it always worked, but this cat, this cat defies the laws of biology, obviously ;) Thank you for your advice. I'll let you know how it worked.
@yanzalong (7800)
Many of mylotters love having cats in their house, which is contrary to me. One reason I don't like cats in my house is that they poo and pee as they wish. If you think you can teach cats, let me know how to. Thank
Yanzalong, I specifically asked for advice here, and not for mylotters' personal opinion about having a cat in the house. I don't understand why you reply if you don't have anything to RESPOND to the given question. Cats are easy to teach, sometimes easier that dogs, because, believe it or not, they are a bit smarter than dogs. Normally, if you need to repeat the same thing to a dog 20 times before he gets it, to a cat you need to repeat it maybe 2-3 times. I have a cat here which is not normal, and therefore, I ask for advice. I've had cats and dogs all my life, and I know how to teach both of them. If you need to know that too, then start your own topic and ask the question. I am sure there are a lot of people here who can give you great answers.
@yanzalong (7800)
Sorry if my response is not explicit enough. Actually it was related to your question. But it's okay, forget it. The information you have given has added to my knowledge about cats. Thank you for your suggestion.
@marianne87 (3526)
Is the litter tray used by other cats? Some do not feel comfortable sharing the tray. My male cat will not use it, he has to go out to do his business, if he is not let out he will use the bath instead. When he first arrived he would pee on my bed too. He had some adjustment problems for several months. Now, so long as he is let out a few times a day to poo, he doesn't make a mess anywhere, but if he is kept in, for example when we were away and the catsitter was only here twice a day, he still did his poo in the bath.
No, the tray is bought especially for this cat, because I also know about this problem about cats and their trays. Also, she can go out any time she wants, because we have a dog/cat door, and she uses it all the time. Most of the time she is outside, except when the weather is really bad, and when she must poo. When she has this need, she comes back into the house and does it in her corner. I also tried moving the tray into that corner, but she is crazily attached to the laminat instead. I also had cats before who used the bath, but only when they were angry about me or alone for longer time. They would normally go out to do their business, or use their trays, with no problems at all. But with this cat nothing seems to work. She won't even go inside the bathroom, because she is crazily afraid of it. I tried everything, punishing her, making her lick her own products, I bought her another tray, another sand, I sprayed her with water (which she hates), but no result. Thank you for your sound advice. However, with my cat, it doesn't work. With any other normal cat absolutely works, but my cat is someting "special".
There is a spray you can buy, I can't remember what its called but you spray it where you don't want them to go. There's something in it cats don't like. Also avoid using cleaning products which contain ammonia on the laminate , I don't know if that will make a difference but someone told me that
@koopharper (6216)
Have you thought to move the litter box to the place where this cat usually goes? Generally speaking cats like a clean toilet where they can dig and bury. I've never encountered a cat that trouble figuring out the appropriate place to go. There must be some smell or something that is making the cat go there. If you can't put the litter box in that corner or attract the cat to another spot. Spread some pepper in the area she likes to go. Cats are very sensitive to pepper and won't ignore it. She won't be doing it there anymore.
Yes, the first thing I did was to move the litter tray to that corner. But she is strangly attached to the floor... I know that cats like clean toilets, and to dig and bury as well, every normal cat likes that. But this one is rather peculiar. Not only that she does not dig or bury (I have laminat floor), but also, she doesn't mind if her corner is not clean as well. A couple of times, when I was at work or outside for a day or two, I didn't clean her mess right away, so she did it once again, at the same spot, having no problem at all for the mess already there. She is not normal, definitely, although in all other aspects, she is just like any other cat, perfectly healthy and smart. I am sure she has figured out already where she should do her pooing, but she simply refuses to do it. She is almost two years old now. However, I am going to try with pepper as well. I hate it so much, but if I have to sneeze whole week, I don't mind, as long as it helps. Thanks a lot!
@MissPiggy (1751)
Hi there, Polgara. I have read the responds above just to check whether there is someone who would think like I do and there is one who did. :) I almost asked you to move the toilet to the place where she likes to poop and pee but you have said that you did. So I think I'm going to go with this: have you ever tried to get your cat to your toilet and let her do it there? I used to have around 15 cats and there was only one that was unique. I always get this difficulty to ask him to poop and pee in his tray or get him outside. But suddenly, when I was alone at home and didn't close the door when I peed (please don't think I'm nasty, I know. Lol). He peeped into the toilet and entered!! I have shooed him out but he started to smell the toilet floor. And you what happened next? He ALWAYS peed and pooped in my toilet. He choose the corner and the water drain on the floor. So I only have to clean it with water. I don't know, but he was unique. Maybe you can try it?