Reluctant To See A Doctor Because I Don't Want To Waste His/Her Time

@Janey1966 (24127)
Carlisle, England
I say 'his/her' because it's likely that it could be either, judging by how long it's been since I've been to the docs. You see, I've had my Mirena Coil for 2 years (of 5) so I reckon I've given it quite enough time to 'bed in' so to speak. However, I do have problems with it; the main one being my periods last longer now than they did BEFORE I had the Coil fitted, which was the whole point of having it. Now, the periods in question are nowhere near as heavy as before. For example, I am able to leave the house and don't have to be obsessed with being near a toilet. So, in that respect the Coil has been good for me. BUT..would YOU put up with a period that is now on its 24th day, light or not? Because I have a diary I can monitor what is happening to my body. The fact is, there are far more red circles round dates on my little calendar than blue..and I'm 2 years in. What do I do? Do I carry on putting up with it or - as I'm contemplating doing - ringing the docs on Friday if my period hasn't finished by then. What worries me is having the thing out (which would have to be under general anaesthetic..long story as to why) and my body reverting to how it was behaving before..which was BAD lol. Oh, by the way, our GPs aren't that sympathetic when it comes to women's problems, whether they are male or female. This is another reason why I don't go to the docs very often!!
@ElicBxn (59932)
Well, the roomie had a bout of a period lasting over a month, and it wasn't light and after one (idiot) doctor said that she didn't want to do anything to "interfere with her fertility" (SHE'S 48 YEARS OLD YOU STUPID COW!) she changed doctors who went in and did a "burn" that stopped the bleeding - permanently. Now, at almost 52, she's as happy as she could be that it was done. You are only 6 years younger, it might be time to talk about that, after all, do you really want to have a child at this age?
@Janey1966 (24127)
• Carlisle, England
Trust me, that's never going to happen but I would love to know what a 'burn' is. Sounds nasty!
@ElicBxn (59932)
they go in and burn (somehow) the lining so no more build up and no more bleeding
@maximax8 (27049)
I think that you should have your coil taken out. Having a period of 24 days is not normal. Women's problems like that really have to be sorted out. You are not wasting the doctor's time. Some forms of birth control are very unpleasant to have and should be stopped if they cause bad problems. The average period lasts 5 days. A short one would be 3 days and the long one would be 7 days. Good luck.
@Janey1966 (24127)
• Carlisle, England
Yes, even during my bad times before the coil was put in, a period would never last this length of time. They were a lot heavier but at least I knew what to expect, funnily enough AND it was natural too. I'm not too happy about having this contraception inside me (as, trust me, it's not required) and another 3 years of it is leaving me a bit cold, to be honest.
hi janey if it were me I would find a doctor who is sympathetic and get that thing out. I have no idea where you live bu t most g ps around here are pretty nice I used a woman doctor myself and she was most sympathetic to my concerns.It does sound like the coil is causing some real problems.take care and let us know what happens'
@Janey1966 (24127)
• Carlisle, England
In my experience, woman doctors are actually worse because they can't cope with female dramas. Why that is I do not know. It's like they've all been trained with the men and they end up thinking the same way as they do..not sympathetically. I will stick to my original plan of ringing on Friday. Today, my period looked like it was going away but it's come back again, ever so slightly. This has been the pattern for the past few days..lulling me into a false sense of security.
@BarBaraPrz (16333)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Don't wait till Friday. Twenty-four days is not normal! There could be something seriously wrong. And if anybody gives you that "Give it more time" line, get in their face and scream at them, "Enough is enough! Take it out NOW!!!" After all, it is not doing what it was supposed to do, and it's YOUR BODY, not theirs. (You can tell them I said so, too. )
@Janey1966 (24127)
• Carlisle, England
That's what I keep telling myself (the logical part of me) but the cowardly, skitty part that can't make decisions is worried about the outcome of the thing being taken out. Stupid, I know. If I ask for advice the doc will just shake their head and say, "It's not up to me, only you can make the decision one way or another."
I wonder if i should get something like this. but,if you get cramps from it i don't think so. I can't go outside for two days because it is so heavy. but,it only last 4 days and the forth day it is very light. I am going to ask my doctor. If this is not painful to get out maybe you could try something new.
@Janey1966 (24127)
• Carlisle, England
Put it this way; if I'd researched Mirena Coil online beforehand there is no way I would've taken this route as there are many, many women going on forums and such-like having problems. It's their only way of sounding off as no doctor wants to take them seriously. It seems doctors are reluctant to go down the hysterectomy route (for example) due to the cost. I'm more sure of this now than I was before as all the women that were in the Day Surgery Recovery Room with me had had a Mirena Coil fitted. It seems we don't really have a say in it. In my case I (reluctantly) signed the consent form as the female gynaecologist told me that she would only put one is "as a last resort." Whenever I rang a few days later her receptionist (who told me she's had one fitted and "not had a period for 3 years)" she said that I needed to give it more time. I've not rang back since but have wanted to do so a few times. I've given it 2 years and am torn between persevering with it or having it taken out.
I do think you need to see a doctor if you are bleeding that much. I have a wonderful family doctor. It's really sad to hear that docs across the pond don't care very much.
@Janey1966 (24127)
• Carlisle, England
Amazingly, I think it's finally stopped..but you're right. Another alternative is to ring up in order to get the doctor to ring me back and give me advice that way. There is no point in going for an internal examination as my 'condition' means I would have to be under general anaesthetic..and that cannot be done unless I'm in hospital.