I fell through the cracks again...

By Yuki
@yukimori (9072)
I just realized that today is the 10th, and I have one more of the prescription NSAIDs my doctor wants me to take. Which means I'm due to have an appointment with the clinic in two days. It hasn't been scheduled. Normally, it's done at the previous appointment. They couldn't do it last time because their September schedule hadn't been opened in their system. I was supposed to get a call as soon as it opened up. Obviously that didn't happen. Unless they're still waiting, in which case I probably should look for another clinic... I dropped the ball, too... I should have followed up but completely forgot to do it. Guess I'll be playing phone tag tomorrow. Don't you just love the wonders of modern medicine?
It seems the more "wonderful" modern medicine becomes the more room there is for error.
@yukimori (9072)
No kidding... it seems like there's way too much room for error with everything being digital like it is now. I still don't get why they have to keep the next month's schedule locked like that. It makes no sense to me.
I have to say that I do not like at all medicines. Some times they do more harm than good.
@yukimori (9072)
I can't say taking them is my favorite thing in the world. If I could find another way to manage my symptoms, I'd gladly do so!
Sometimes yes and sometimes not depending on what it is. They should have called you.
@yukimori (9072)
Yeah, but this is kind of par for the course for this clinic. They kept me waiting for four hours for my first appointment. They forgot to schedule me last month, too.
@valmnz (12754)
• New Zealand
That's a bit slack on their behalf. If they try and tell you there are no appointments available you should tell them the story of what they failed to do.
@yukimori (9072)
The scheduler I'll end up talking to is actually at another office. She's a total sweetheart and has bent over backwards to get me in for a cancellation. She thinks the policy is stupid as heck but like the ones at this office she doesn't have control over it. I'll see if she can schedule a few months in advance for me this time around...
@valmnz (12754)
• New Zealand
@yukimori hope it all works out well for you.
@yukimori (9072)
@valmnz Thanks, Val. I'm sure it will... I live close enough that they could call me for a no-show appointment and I'd be there in about 10 minutes.
@PhredWreck (6051)
I missed my last appointment, but I have not been in a hurry to reschedule one. I was not too happy with my doctor last time. She seems to not really pay any attention to what I am telling her and I am tired of having to insist or tell her something several times before she finally listens.
@yukimori (9072)
Yeah, I know how that goes. I've gotten lucky with the guy I'm seeing now, but I had that one a few years ago whose advice was basically "suck it up, cupcake." Oh, and exercise more. Never went back, and his advice is pretty much the exact opposite of what someone with my diagnosis should do because the level of fatigue is unpredictable. Switching docs an option for you? I've found that there are a lot of nurse practitioners around here who listen way better to my concerns than the actual doctors will. The last thing you need when you're muddling through this crap is someone who isn't going to be right there in your corner, you know?
@yukimori A nurse practitioner is currently what I have. I have this feeling since I am a patient with state supported care payments that she does as little as possible. It took me almost 3 months, several phone calls, and insistence on a particular medication before I finally got something for the diabetic nerve pain in my legs, which was the reason I had gone in the first place. I've been seeing her almost 18 months now, and the situation with her listening has not improved any. I can switch doctors, in fact I may do it soon.
@yukimori (9072)
@PhredWreck I really, really hate that attitude. How someone who's working in a field where the objective is to help people can sit there and decide that one patient is more worthy than another based on what may or may not be in their wallets is absolutely beyond me. I guess it's obvious which ones are there because they want to be and which ones are just there for the paycheck. Never mind the fact that ignoring symptoms of diabetes can lead to serious complications... good lord. Wish I could smack her in the head with a clue-by-four for you. Sounds like she needs it.
i think i'd be huntin' me 'nother place if'n they couldn't make ya'n appointment fer a follow-up 't the time. seems a bit odd to me? i dislike lots 'bout modern medicine...'xcept fer the genetic testin' they're doin' now. which 'd be great if'n the doc's were trained to know what the heck any 'f it meant.
@yukimori (9072)
The really sad thing is that this is the best place I've found locally so far. If I go anywhere else, it'll probably be at least a two hour drive to get there. They definitely aren't 'with' it, though, and the turnover rate of doctors is extremely high.
@yukimori we've that trouble in these parts 's well. gotta drive 't least 100 miles to see a decent doc. kinda pitiful.
@Sounie (29)
hope all will be ok
@writerjo (1320)
@Sounie Well said Bhagyashree .. There you are
@Sounie (29)
The doctor would always make a laboratory request with the next month i should go back for its date . I would put it in my wallet so i can always take a look at it and be reminded when it will be . I also have it on my e-calendar complete with alarm so i can be reminded .
@yukimori (9072)
This office does the same, too... when they actually set my appointments up without me having to call and beg them for one.
I think it's so sad that when it comes to setting appointments and taking care of patients asap, it's not always asap. But funny they are quick about things when they want their money!
@writerjo (1320)
@yukimori Oblivion is nature , Appointments may Skip sometimes . I believe modern medicine occassionally