Are we allowed to post music links on MyLot?

Pleasant Hill, California
Sometimes, when I cruise YouTube, I'll come across a song that's so pretty or so relevant that I want to share it with my internet friends. On that other site, the one that's behind in its payments and is losing members to MyLot, we are allowed to post links to music on YouTube and other such sites. Are we allowed to do the same here? I like sharing music.
@PhredWreck (6051)
There are a few layers to the answer you seek. The video must somehow relate to the discussion you are posting, and you can't use one that you would be earning for when viewed by other people.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Right. So I wouldn't post a link to my own music, for example, as I might benefit from such a link (more exposure, etc.).
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
@TheHorse That raises yet another point. I have created a few tutorials and uploaded them to YouTube, although I have not activated the earnings system on that site. This means that if I post a link to one of those then I will not financially benefit irrespective of how many people follow that link, but would Mylot be aware of that or simply assume that I am personally benefitting from it?
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Asylum Good point. It gets complicated. If you activated the earnings system, would you then have to delete the link, to protect yourself? If I posted a link to my own music, even if it earns no money, would it be "naughty" because it provides publicity (and potential increased earnings down the road) for a band I play with?
I have seen others posting music links. I know that we cannot post commercial links and that we should post links related to the discussion we start. I believe that if you are talking about a specific piece of music or an artist, there is nothing wrong in posting a link to a YouTube video.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Thanks for the info. It sounds like it's OK to post a YouTube link to a song I am really touched by, so long as my text discusses that song.
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
This is an interesting question and I am not certain how the rules relate to this. I suppose that it may depend on whether the post is purely about the video link or the video link is an embellishment of the discussion. It would probably be safer asking Admin prior to doing that just to be certain.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'm getting the impression that it's safe, but maybe I'll hold off for now.
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
@TheHorse As my reply portrays, I too feel that it would be most likely a safe thing to do, but checking first is always the best policy.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Asylum I did check, and I didn't see anything specific abut music videos. But I think it's OK, so long as there's no financial gain for the poster from the video.
As long as the links are not referral links and spam links one can post links here.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Thanks for the very straightforward response. I love music and will probably post the occasional "favorite gospel tune" or "favorite good lyrics tune" type link here.
I was also thinking of the same way. Instead I like to post my site here, I am selling vintage stuffs on ebay.
@mommaj (22768)
I see this has been resolved. Seeing your guitar, makes me smile. My brother use to play and we would sing together and even performed in front of our elementary school.