Can I earn $1 a day?

@troyburns (1434)
New Zealand
I know what you're thinking. That the folks who run this place can't afford to pay us as much as we'd like, and that what we're currently getting is fair. Hell, considering the quality of some of the stuff I produce, it's lucky I'm getting that much. But I would like to think I could earn more than a dollar a day, maybe not tomorrow but one day soon. Maybe if I work more hours? Is 14 enough? I don't want you to think this is special pleading though. I mean, it's not like I'm the only one hoping to get a reasonable payment for the work I do. In fact - and I don't know if you're aware of this - there are more than 250,000 of us kids hoping to earn more than a few cents a day. Millions if you include the grown-ups. I guess it's too much to hope for. But sometimes hope is all you have. So I'll go on making those shirts and those dresses, those footballs and toys, the little things which add to your life, and I'll have hope in my heart as I'm dying each day.
After our experiences elsewhere, when my first payday came round I was a bit worried. Would there be enough cash to pay everybody? Thankfully, there was, but if everybody was earning a dollar a day, would there be?
@troyburns (1434)
• New Zealand
@jaboUK - Experiences elsewhere is one of the things this post is about. Overpayment can be as big a problem as underpayment - the trick is to find the right balance for everyone. I've found it very interesting to note the value we place on a dollar if it's honestly earned.
@troyburns I agree about the value being placed on a dollar here - people are getting really excited when they reach the redemption amount, but it's only peanuts really, especially when you realise how many hours are spent here. For me it's not the actual cash that matters, it's the satisfaction of knowing that enough people have interacted with me to enable me to get there. As you say about the payments - let's hope that they've got the balance right here. Sorry I missed the point about the child labour at first.
@PhredWreck (6051)
I think you chose a bad title, most of your responses are going to be about 'here' because that is what the title says. Even the first two paragraphs don't help any. TPTB will continue to sleep at night. They won't even picture the conditions of the workers in their minds. They are too busy dreaming of the millions of dollars a day they can get, instead of the dollar someone hopes to get to help feed, clothe, and house their family. Dammit...why is it the first two discussions that draw me in today have no easy answers...
@troyburns (1434)
• New Zealand
@PhredWreck - Hi Grinch. I quite liked the title but it's become a problem so I've changed it. I don't mind that folks think I'm writing about myLot at the start (cunning attract readers ploy) but it's not giving the sense of perspective that I hoped for. Mea culpa. Glad you got it anyway.
• Marion, Kansas
@troyburns I "get it", but I was pointed here by another discussion and I think that clued me in that it is not what it first appears to be.
Thanks to @Bluedoll I didn't have to ask for clarification on your post. But I did at least have a gut feeling that it wasn't about MyLot.
@Bluedoll (17074)
me too but thought I better ask.
@troyburns (1434)
• New Zealand
@JudyEv - No, it wasn't about myLot at all but I didn't make my point well enough. Funny, it sounded much more clear in my head :)
@troyburns I'm always doing this. I know exactly what I'm talking about but half the time no-one else does. Funny how people can be so dense!
@Rollo1 (16650)
• Boston, Massachusetts
Surprisingly, China is not in the top ten for child labor exploitation. The top ten worst countries are in the Middle East and AFrica, though many countries do not bother to enforce the child labor laws they have. In some statistics, they count child labor as including children up to the age of 17. My 16-year-old son was busy on Thanksgiving, filling out an application to work at a local restaurant. But, he will work part time and go to school.
@troyburns (1434)
• New Zealand
@Rollo1 - There are lots of ways to read the figures, so it's sometimes hard to pin down the worst exploiters. The problem is so widespread, but East Asia may still be the biggest culprit.
@Platespinner (16532)
We live in a culture that demands more for less without stopping for a second to consider the consequences. We tout the virtues of liberty while at the same time supporting slavery of the worst kind with our pocketbooks. Unfortunately it isn't an easy problem to resolve, I can strive personally to spend my dollars responsibly but tracing the route of any given item from raw material to finished product for every item I buy is enough to make me want to crawl under a rock and never buy another item again (except my family my get a little perturbed when the pantry is empty and their underwear is full of holes).
@troyburns (1434)
• New Zealand
@Platespinner - Capitalism is rife with double standards, but that's not a problem as long as you're on the receiving end, if you know what I mean. The production end though is another matter and it's been like that since the Industrial Revolution at least. I don't think that we can make much of a difference with our purchasing power - the system will continue until there are massive social changes in the source countries.
@Auntylou (4323)
• Oxford, England
I try to buy Fair Trade products where I can and have stopped going to stores which are shown to be very exploitative of their labour force. However, fairly traded clothing is very expensive and more than I can usually afford.
Whoa, that went real negative at the end. What happened there, Robin?
@troyburns (1434)
• New Zealand
@ElizabethWallace - My title has caused a lot of confusion so I've changed it. Does that change the way you read this?
@troyburns Yes, that helps.
@Bluedoll (17074)
I'm confused sorry. You start out with myLot earning then in the third paragraph move to children (shouldn't children not be working but going to school) and I'm not sure who the 250 thousand are. The reference to making products I couldn't connect to the rest of the post. Help, sorry for the confusion.
@troyburns (1434)
• New Zealand
@Bluedoll - I never said this had anything to do with myLot, but it's interesting that you thought so. 250,000 is the conservatively estimated number of children working in Asian and South American sweatshops who are earning a few cents each day while making the things we buy in our stores. Hope that helps.
@Bluedoll (17074)
@troyburns It was the here that - thru me thanks for the clarification. The other comments did not help determine what here actually is, so wanted to ask. A long time ago when on a bordertown tour in Mexico was surprised to see young boys out earning a living for their families shinning the shoes of the tourists. It was an accepted industry by all the people in the market place as a way of life. Most likely this is not the case in the sweatshops and considered an admirable profession. Many of the shiners were happy little boys learning English and social skills. Of course it all seemed very strange to me coming from a culture where education is a requirement.
@troyburns (1434)
• New Zealand
@Bluedoll - No problem. It's clear you read it all the way through, which seems to be a rarity so far. (I meant the start to be misleading -shhhhh) Interesting story you tell. I think it reveals the difference between culturally valid work and production line routine.
@scheng1 (24812)
I think it is possible. You will have to type like hell, and respond to a lot of discussion. Even if you do not get to a dollar, 90 cents is still a very nice daily earning. No harm trying. You can start now, and work very hard for a week or so.
@troyburns (1434)
• New Zealand
@scheng1 - Thanks for the encouragement, but this post has nothing to do with typing.
@Auntylou (4323)
• Oxford, England
@troyburns Not one of your clearest posts!
@troyburns (1434)
• New Zealand
@Auntylou - I'm getting that impression! That's it, no more posting after midnight.
@wiLLmaH (8226)
• Singapore, Singapore
$1 is possible in here. I have hit once and almost a $1 many times.
@troyburns (1434)
• New Zealand
That's good going. It all adds up to a nice bit of pocket money.
@wiLLmaH (8226)
• Singapore, Singapore
@troyburns a money to spare on some little pleasures.
@UmiNoor (3478)
I have a feeling you might be talking about the sweatshops when I read the last paragraph about making shirts and dresses. Well, employers always want the cheapest labor but then the price of the products can be so staggeringly high. Just take the iphones as an example. Made in China but when sold in my country, the price is beyond the salary of even a graduate and because of the prestige of owning the iphone, this graduate would get into debt just to own an iphone.
@Lucky15 (33427)
There is a possibility. If we can stay here for longer hours
@troyburns (1434)
• New Zealand
@Lucky15 - It seems unfair that some people need to work 14 hours a day just to make basic living expenses, don't you think?
• Preston, England
I have hit a dollar a day here though not on days when I have had less time for being online - it can certainly be done
@vickyrose (1991)
• Canberra, Australia
it's a great diversion from the doldrums of life, the interaction is priceless so a dollar or even a portion of that is a bonus
I know you cna make that here if your dedicated to putting in that kind of time. Some times there is very little here to comment to so you might want to start posting something of your own.
@EddieHands (37857)
Yes you can earn more than a dollar. I have done that here in a day. Just depends how much time you want to spend here. Now that I made payout. I've been very lazy about posting here.
@Beatburn (3914)
Most focus on the earnings here and since they don't have the context, miss seeing that in other places, earning more than a 1$ is a far-fetched dream.
@zebra2222 (5113)
Fortunately, I do not have to rely on my earnings from myLot. I'm only earning 10 to 20 cents per day.
• Richardson, Texas
i dont think they will ever pay a dollar a day though the highest might be 50 cents a day if we are every lucky.
@PainsOnSlate (20083)
I won't give up my day job to play on the internet either. It might not be more fun but the day job is one you can count on.... money in the bank
@skysnap (17822)
I find it hard. I have yet to reach that level. In fact earnings here are slow. even 1$ is not easy. so you have to work hard. maybe try freelancing instead.