I prevented a murder in the living room this morning.

2 black cats
@norcal (3215)
Nevada City, California
I love my two cool black cats, Darrel and his bother Darrel. The one thing I don't like about them is how they love to kill things. I guess that's kind of ironic, since I got them because I had rats in the garage. The rats would go under the hood of my car and chew the electrical wires. I don't mind if they kill the rats, but I hate it when they kill birds. I can always tell when they have a new victim because they have a special noise they make. I call it their kill sound. Mmmrow mmmrow. This morning I saw one of the cats trying to get something under the bookcase. I shut the cat up in the bathroom and looked under there with a flashlight to see who the unlucky victim was. It was an alligator lizard. He didn't look like he was too beat up yet, I threw a towel over him and scooped him up. He's been released back into the wild.
Those are awesome cats, it makes me miss Smokey.
@norcal (3215)
• Nevada City, California
They are very handsome, aren't they?
@norcal Yes, black cats have always been my favorites.
@norcal (3215)
• Nevada City, California
@TRBRocks420 They are the most overlooked when it comes to pet adoption too. That reputation for being bad luck seems to follow them.
@UncleJoe (10237)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Even house cats are natural hunters. I've seen video of cats killing cobras.
@norcal (3215)
• Nevada City, California
They are natural predators for sure. I'd love to see that video.
@UncleJoe (10237)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@norcal just go to YouTube and type in "Cat vs Snake"
@shshiju (10546)
• Cochin, India
Nice cats looks like twins. I think the cats not categorized their enemies like us... Lol
@norcal (3215)
• Nevada City, California
They are brothers, from the same litter. When I adopted them I couldn't decide which one to get, they offered me both for the price of one.
@shshiju (10546)
• Cochin, India
@norcal that' great. Do you feed separately or together to them
@norcal (3215)
• Nevada City, California
@shshiju They have their own bowl, but eat side by side and at the same time. They do sometimes fight with each other, but not during feeding time.
@Inlemay (16640)
• South Africa
Beautiful cats - its in their natural instinct to kill birds - mine know they are naughty when they do it
@norcal (3215)
• Nevada City, California
That is true. The only way to stop them is to keep them confined to the house. That's not something I am willing to do.
@Inlemay (16640)
• South Africa
@norcal CATS will be CATS! Hello from my two naughties
@norcal (3215)
• Nevada City, California
@Inlemay Oh, they are so beautiful!
@birjudanak (7261)
your both cats looking like waiting for hunting and its really scare me. alligator lizard really lucky otherwise it will murder in your house.such a naughty cat look like,how you take control on it because looking very danger.
@norcal (3215)
• Nevada City, California
Certainly they are dangerous to small animals
Cats are beautiful but they are killers. I save lizards every day in summer, I have seen that some survived and were still around at the end of the season.
@norcal (3215)
• Nevada City, California
That's good to hear. I would not like to think that those I save are still doomed.
@norcal I am sure that several survived, because they had lost the tail and I saw them regrow their tails.
He's one lucky lizard. How did he get in your house?
@norcal (3215)
• Nevada City, California
The cat dragged him in, through thr kitty door.
@rocky1980 (544)
• Chandigarh, India
lovely cats. congratulations you saved a life from killer cats.
Cats have quite a vocabulary if you take the time to learn it.
@norcal (3215)
• Nevada City, California
That kill sound is quite distinctive.
@mom210 (6788)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I am glad you saved him, ours likes to grab butterflies and it makes me feel so bad
@norcal (3215)
• Nevada City, California
Butterflies are so delicate. There is not much chance of survival for them.
Well, an animal is going to do what they are programmed genetically to do. It is one of the things that they will do as it is part of their genetic make up.
@ElicBxn (60884)
I keep all my brats, except Gabby, inside. They have gotten a few rats that came onto the cat porch, but, then again, if the rat was stupid enough to go on a porch that HAS to smell of CATS, then it has it coming. Improving the gene pool, so to speak. Gabby is a good old gal, she's not much of a hunter, even the mockingbirds leave her alone because they realize she's not a good hunter.
@shivamani10 (11231)
• Hyderabad, India
s. U did good things They are far better than human beings. We behave as if we are the masters but still can not pray for the wellness of our neighbor What a sad thing...We go on accumulating and eating even though we know that our neighbor is starving along with his family..Can 't we give them at least half of our food and save them? Why should we eat more and more which could not be digested ....and only adds some cholesterol to our body?
@Rosekitty (19441)
• San Marcos, Texas
Beautiful Furbabies!..I know how you feel..get them pesky things but leave the innocent things alone..hahaah
Wow an alligator lizard, never seen one too bad we could not have a picture provided !
@norcal (3215)
• Nevada City, California
This is what it looks like; it's not the lizard, but it is an alligator lizard. "Northern alligator lizard". Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 via Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Northern_alligator_lizard.jpg#/media/File:Northern_alligator_lizard.jpg
Wow that is a really neat remnant of before the Ice Age, thanks for sharing the little guy or gal (how do you tell the gender of an alligator lizard ? ) @norcal
@norcal (3215)
• Nevada City, California
@enlightenedpsych2 I would not have a clue about that.