How do you decorate your tree?

Ornaments, Phase I, Go On Tomorrow
@DWDavis (11542)
Pikeville, North Carolina
This year we are decorating our big tree in a different manner than we have ever done in the past. Because both of the boys were away until just before Christmas - the youngest came home Friday and the eldest will be home Wednesday - my missus and I did not put up the big tree until yesterday when Son2 was home to help with the lights. Instead we put a small tree on a table off to the side of the living room. Today, Son2 and I put the tinsel on the tree. Tomorrow evening, we will start adding a few ornaments, but not too many. We want to save enough for Son1 to do when he gets home on Wednesday. Do you put up a Christmas Tree? If you do, how do you decorate it?
@Shellyann36 (10754)
Yes we put up a 6 ft. fake tree with lights and plastic ornaments. The kids help us put the ornaments on every year and we forego anything glass. We put ours up the weekend after Thanksgiving.
We bought an artificial 5 1/2 foot tree pre-lit with multi-colored lights, old ornaments in both glass and metal from the good ole Christmases we had, ribbons from previous gifts I kept over the years, garland and a little tinsel. It is still up and awaiting the 'little Christmas' celebration recognized by Eastern Orthodox Christians since both wonderful types of customs are appreciated in my family . . . Hope your Christmas was good @Shellyann36 and your New Year, great !
@Shellyann36 (10754)
@enlightenedpsych2 I save bows and ribbons from gifts as well. I will even save Christmas paper if it is pretty and not messed up. Sometimes I use the bows and ribbons over again on gifts or I use them in crafts. I have seen people take them and arrange them on a paper plate and then string them up over their curtains as if they are giant Christmas ornaments the following year. I think that is such a neat project and a great way to remember a past Christmas. This year at Dollar General I just saw a great idea that I intend to do myself for next year. Little decorated clothes pins on jute or decorated raffia (sp?) to hold Christmas cards. I must admit that I keep them every year and I always hang them up. Our Christmas was pretty darn good and so was our New Year celebration. I hope your family enjoyed yours as well!
We do not even put up a big tree. We put up a little two foot tree.
@DWDavis (11542)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Depending on where our sons wind up living and working in years to come, we will probably stop putting up the big tree and just use the small one, too.
@Shellyann36 (10754)
@jstory07 does the furbaby mess with the tree? I have seen so many youtube videos this year about cats and dogs messing with Christmas trees. It is rather funny to watch but I am sure it is a pain to clean up.
This year we went away for Christmas/ We put up a tree quite early and just put lights; no decorations.
When it comes to decorating trees I am a conformist. Tree is pre-light, then beaded garland, then ornaments....no tinsel on fake trees.
We are only two, I put up a Christmas tree, not a big one, and I decorate it putting the lights first, then I hang the decorations and finally the tinsels.
@Platespinner (16772)
My kids usually work together to set up our tree. That will probably change over the next few years as they start moving out and on with their own lives.
Very nice tree and, Merry Christmas.
That is a very pretty tree. We might put out little table top one up this year.
We just have a small fibre optic tree.
@yukimori (9069)
I put the Christmas tree up last week. By Friday, the toddler had knocked it over and broken one of the base pieces off of it. We didn't even get more than the lights on it this year. I'd been planning to use the red and gold ornaments I bought last year during the clearance sales, but have reconsidered after realizing that the tiny tornado isn't quite at a point where she's going to leave the tree alone. Glass bulbs + toddler = NOPE. Maybe next year. I'm tempted to get out some pipe cleaners and use them to fasten some pine cones into the branches. I have several hundred of the things around here, and it won't be a big deal if she destroys them. Makes me glad I didn't end up getting the really nice, expensive tree I found on clearance after Christmas last year!