Jury Duty

Colorado Springs, Colorado
I thought I could get away with not doing this, but apparently not. I've been summoned for jury duty. After all, I've been a registered voter since 1982, and have never been summoned in all this time, so I assumed that I was free from it. I certainly don't want to do it, but I'm also not going to go out of my way to get myself disqualified, either. Who knows? It could be interesting.
I have been summoned twice. The first time I was dismissed. The second time - I attended but once we went into the court house - I had an excuse (legitimate excuse) and was dismissed. I hope you have a good time. It was a lot of waiting.... breaks.. waiting.. breaks.. waiting. Bring some entertainment with you (your phone, tablet, laptop? Book don't forget the charger and some snacks too!)
Good thing I was in the Army and am used to waiting.
@teamfreak16 That is good you have the patience.
@teamfreak16 That is quite the wait! I hope you didn't need to pee right then and there.
@Elizaby (3658)
• Pensacola, Florida
Here jury duty is done by driver license or state ID cards so everyone has a chance on being called.
I always assumed it was done by voter registration, but ID and DL cards make sense.
@Elizaby (3658)
• Pensacola, Florida
@teamfreak16 It has only been in the last 5 years or so that they went from using voters to the ID system
@Elizaby - that is probably the best way, as it gives them a bigger pool.
@boiboing (12465)
• Northampton, England
I've only been called once and I got out of it really easily because I'd just moved 200 miles away.
I only live six miles from the courthouse, so I don't think that would work for me.
@boiboing (12465)
• Northampton, England
@teamfreak16 Time to move?
@boiboing - Ha! Nah, I love living here in Manitou too much.
In California, you don't have to be a registered voter to get nailed for jury duty. They also take form the DMV.
It could be DMV. I had just switched my DL back to Colorado from Wyoming.
@Scindhia (1947)
• Chennai, India
I wish we had a sensible system like yours here. I have read too many Grisham books about such things and I'm eager to know how your duty turned out. Good luck!
Thanks. I'm curious myself.
@crossbones27 (19579)
• Redlands, California
That is what they say they go by. Being a registered voter, drivers license and something else I think. I guess it depends where you live.
The DL/ID sounds right, just because, for some reason, not everyone is registered to vote.
@irishidid (8563)
They don't base it on if you are a registered voter any more. Depending on where you live a lot of times nothing is done if you ignore jury duty summons. I've known people who treat them like junk mail.
I'll show up just in case. I have a feeling I won't get picked, and knowing my luck, I'd get arrested or something for not showing up.
That is something I could not go through. being the one to send someone to prison would not sit right with me. I wish you the best.
I know what you mean. I don't exactly have a great attention span. Could be fun, though.
I think that would be very interesting. I've never been called for jury duty and I've been a registered voter for more than 55 years.
I think it might be interesting. I don't really want to be away from home for a few days, but it could be kind of neat.
If you don't want to go out of your way to get disqualified, just pull over to a gas station on the way home and rob it...
I'm lucky enough to get out of it as I am disabled.
I'm a Bipolar, so they might not want me, because I'd have to order proof.
Glad you take the job of jury duty seriously. I made it to the jury box the last time around, but was the only one released due to the fact that the crime occurred in my little Chicago suburb and not in the suburb of the other prospective jurors. It was kind of embarrassing being the only one asked to leave the jury box.
I don't even know what I'm supposed to wear. I don't own a suit or anything. If something like that is required, they'll send me home as soon as I walk through the door.
I am free from it and am not ashamed . . .
I am always worried about being called in for jury duty.
I've been called up a couple of times but only been chosen - or not dismissed would be more accurate - just once. The first time is quite interesting but there is a lot of hanging about. Take a good book - or your cell phone!