Vegetable Gardening on the Cheap

Last year we decided to put in a vegetable garden. Our space is very limited and we had to dig out a lot of rock from where we put the garden bed. My husband went to a local farm and brought back 2 truckloads of soil. The farmer let us have it for free! This spring he will have to venture back for 2 more loads. I want the garden to be twice the size of last years bed. Tonight we purchased a few packets of seeds. Some will be started inside to get a jump start on the season, which is so short in our region. It is best to start the plants inside or purchase the plants from a supplier such as Home Depot or one of our local greenhouses. Purchasing the plants from a supplier is more costly than starting them at home. Total spent on seeds so far: $3. Green beans, yellow beans, yellow squash, zucchini, and beets. Have to look for tomato seeds soon. Last year I found some peat pots on clearance. I usually save yogurt containers to start the plants in and then transfer them to larger pots if necessary. All that is needed is a nice sunny window and a green thumb. Can't wait to get started.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I do my "starts" on my balcony, and then supplement the original soil with some bags of potting soil from Home Depot. I use Dollar Store party cups as my original "planters." Hope you have continued success!
I bought a packet of giant sunflower seeds that I am going to start inside. I didn't think of going to the Dollar store to see what they have for cups.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@ElusiveButterfly They also have larger planters for $1 each.
@TheHorse I'll have to go this Friday, my day off, to check out what they have.
@Platespinner (15580)
I have big garden plans for this season. Unfortunately I'm waiting for my husband to drop a couple of trees first, so it will be a couple of weeks before I can get started. I'll probably be starting some seeds in the next week or so.
We have a lot of trees here. Our landlord won't allow us to cut down the trees though. So, we have to settle for the best spot in the yard that gets the most sun. I really want to expand it to at least twice the size this year.
@ElusiveButterfly We only have one spot that currently gets enough sun, and that's right along the south side of the house. Our lot is heavily wooded.
@Platespinner you could grow pole beans. I once tacked some twine high up the side of the house and planted the beans to grow up the twine. I was able to harvest a lot of beans.
@MGjhaud (20837)
nice. we live in the middle of a huge land and grow our own veggies too. we dont buy seedlings, we just get it from the vegetables we bought (and cooked) from the market.
I have saved seeds from past crops, but that was years ago.
Good luck with your plants. I hope you get lots of seedlings popping their heads up.
That is my weekend project. Have to get tomato and acorn squash seeds when I am out and about. Oh,and some potting soil too.
Good luck with your new garden. I would like to start one soon myself.
Love fresh vegetables. They always taste better when you have grown them too.
That's my dream to have vegetable garden. Unfortunately, there is no space for it and I live in the city. Moreover, we have floral garden that makes our backyard so colorful. On the other hand, we are hoping to retrieve my mother's farmland in the province. Then that would be good start for having veggie garden.
We also have flower gardens that I am trying to maintain. I purchased some zinnia, sunflower, and morning glory seeds. I'll be starting them inside too.
|I admire you. I never have success starting the plants ahead. Most I plant in the garden as seeds. A few I get started from the greenhouse.
I will start some of the squash and maybe a pumpkin or acorn squash inside. Maybe I'll start some of the beans to give them a head start and to extend the growing season. They harvest in such a short time as does the zucchini and yellow squash. But, I would love to harvest some earlier if I can.
• Marion, Kansas
I will be working in the community garden, which is free. I want to buy some fruit trees for here, and will plant a few things in containers.
We put our tomatoes in containers last year. They would have done better if I had watered them more often.
We cannot afford much, but I picked up sunflower seeds today, want to try and see if I can get those to grow for the seeds and more seeds to plant the following year
If I am successful with the sunflowers I am planting I will save some of the seeds from the flowers.
@ElusiveButterfly that is what I want to do, but first I gotta try and be successful with the flowers!
@Jessicalynnt I love to garden and have done is since I was a teenager. Of course I am only 22, lol!
I feel so happy to meet gardeners here. What will you do with all those vegetables More power to you for the success of your efforts.
What I don't cook and serve for our meals I will freeze. I also share with my family too.
@ElusiveButterfly I have stopped growing vegetable and even if I do then I do a small quantity. We too distributed loads of them but not a thank you from any one
@allknowing my family loves fresh vegetables and always appreciates it when I share.
My husband says he is going to have a garden when we move. I hope you gets lots of items growing in yours.
One day I hope to have a huge garden so I that I'll be able to do a lot of canning.