I wanted to sleep in but.....

Centralia, Missouri
I wanted to sleep in but..... one of the bosties woke me up sick at the normal time. So got to wake up and clean up messes, which meant shampooing a carpet, again. I really want to take a little money and get that bedroom carpet out. I want something I can wipe off and mop! I hate carpet. Give me rugs I can wash anyday. Carpet is so irritating to keep clean, and I suspect no matter what you do, it's only so clean anyways. It traps dust, and mites, and hair, and whatever grossness. I have a feeling I am not the only carpet hater out there! What do you think, carpet is terrible?
• Preston, England
hard to keep carpet clean but warmer under bare-foot than linolium or floorboards
rugs and house slippers! lol
• Preston, England
@Jessicalynnt unless the floor surface is highly polished
@Jessicalynnt It isn't so cold here that carpet is essential. As you say, rugs and slippers but we rarely bother with either.
as long as people let animal walk in and out of the street and in their homes it will always be nasty. I would sure not ever want carpet if I had animals. I had a dog but she could not get up on any of my furniture. it's just nasty seeing a dog run,jump and play outside and have the freedom to do it in doors. carpets are only at their best if shoes are left at the front door.
pretty much, and as we have animals I want it gone!
@Jessicalynnt I want this rabbit gone too.
@sharon6345 never had a rabbit as a pet
@1wldngl (3991)
I totally agree. It's awful. One spring I put a towel down by the front door, for the guys to use to wipe their feet because it was raining so much. That towel got so dirty. It really made me think about carpet. All that collects in there and there really isn't anyway to get it all out...never...no matter what you do. And...you get a false sense of a clean barrier between you and the floor, kids lay on it, eat on it...etc. Ugh...it's just a big old dirty towel. At least I can toss the towel in the washing machine. We have no carpet and a few rugs. BTW....I'm in love with your Boston Bulldog. My Granny always had one and we call them Granny dogs. We always loved their silliness and snores.
we think she might be a bostie pug mix, not sure, she is not full boston, and so buggle eyed. and yes, she snores up a storm. is doing it under my feet as I type this. And that's exactly my thought on carpet, a dirty towel, GLUED down to the floor. shudder
@1wldngl (3991)
@Jessicalynnt She looks full to me. We had one, at the clinic where I worked, whose eyes were really really buggy. Popped one out, one time. Ugh, they got it back in as it didn't detach or anything. Glad I was only subjected to the story on that occasion.
@1wldngl Wow...so glad her eyes have never actually popped out!
I would much rather have a nice wood floor that I can sweep and mop. Carpets harbor fleas that are brought in by my lovely cats. Sick of getting bit up by the nasty little devils. We do have a steam cleaner, but it takes a while for the carpet to dry once it is cleaned. I also worry about the subflooring getting ruined because of the liquid that doesn't come completely out of the rug. Or of course those nasty spills that happen. I can always put down an area rug to have people come in and wipe their dirty feet on before they enter the house. It is so much easier to shake out an area rug and toss it in the washer to get it clean.
we are on a concrete slab, so not worried there, but yes, it does take awhile to try, and I would much rather mess with rugs!
@Jessicalynnt I have clients who have carpeting throughout their apartments, all but the kitchen and bathroom areas. One had a dog that would mess on the floor. That was so stinky. I would shampoo the carpets twice a month and it still stunk. Now that she let her dog go to another family the smell is much better. Even so I have to deal with spills, mud, and grime. It is a constant battle.
@ElusiveButterfly yeah I had to shampoo twice today.... sigh
@Marcyaz (35669)
We ripped out the carpet and put in new hardwood floors and it is so much easier to keep clean. We have some throw rugs down in areas of the house.
thats the long term goal, something cheaper for the short term, but anything but carpet!
@Marcyaz (35669)
@Jessicalynnt A lo of people just have tile throughout their house.
@Marcyaz I would be ok with that too, but hate messing with grout so figured wood easier.
I hate carpet as well. I wish I had hardwood floors, which was my intention when I moved in here. Sadly it never materialized.
we are pondering that peel and stick laminate, it can go right on the concrete and later we can put hardwood over it.
@Jessicalynnt Sounds like a good idea.
It is hard to keep clean.
and after awhile it may be clean, but it stops looking it
@Drosophila (16711)
yep I have wooden floor and a rug. Life is much better
that's my goal.
We've always had carpeting in the house through the years. But when a dog gets sick or pees on it, not fun to clean up at all!!
exactly my problem, and after cleaning up more than one mess from a sick dog, and shampooing twice in one day.... so wanna be done with carpet
@rina110383 (24134)
My parents used to keep one. It's difficult to maintain. After few months, they decided to remove it. It was a good riddance.
I want to remove it, just need the funds for the replacement flooring
@boiboing (12667)
• Northampton, England
I had a lot of cat sick to clear up after Bagheera's latest mouse binge. It's amazing how much vomit can come out of a small cat.
I can sympathize, so tired of cleaning up after today.
I don't like carpet much. We have vinyl right through the house although it looks like wood flooring. It is easy to keep clean.
thats what I am looking at.
I would trade a house full of hardwood flooring for wall to wall carpet in a heartbeat. Carpet I can keep clean! We never had a problem with Ruby messing up the carpet...and if so we have a professional carpet cleaner which works fine. We do have two area rugs and still they are not an issue.
carpet I struggle to keep clean, the tile in the kitchen is so much faster, sweep mop done.
Carpets are hard to keep clean. Rugs you can pick up and put anywhere you want.