Revived Computer

@OneOfMany (9197)
Or at least its brain! Using my newest computer I was able to extract all the data from the previous computer's hard drive without issue. I was unable to do it from my laptop for whatever reason, but it worked just fine from the new desktop. All 500 some gigabytes of data that I thought I might have lost I was able to recover to the new computer. Now I am in the process of backing all that recovered data into another, larger hard drive. Maybe down the road I will get even another and store data on that in another location where it would be safe. I'm not sure if I will be restoring the old computer or not. If I do it will wipe out everything on the drive and it would be like new again. However, it would be another machine that is sitting around that I might not be using. I'll have to give it some thought. All I really cared about were the files, and now they are on this new machine. Something to think about.
@Asylum (46355)
• Manchester, England
Am I right in assuming that you networked the two together, or did you simply connect the hard drive to your new computer?
@OneOfMany (9197)
I used a hard drive dock. I just found out about them last year when I was trying to get files off old IDE drives. Fortunately the SATA drives are much easier. Then the old hard drive becomes like a flash drive in a way.
@Asylum (46355)
• Manchester, England
@OneOfMany If you still have files to remove from a laptop, try using a bootable copy of Linux. You can download a free copy of Ubuntu and boot the laptop from it, then transfer the files to a flash drive.
@OneOfMany (9197)
@Asylum Fortunately it was a desktop hard drive that was the bad one. The laptop works great and its files are already backed up.
@KuznVinny (780)
I have 3 hard drives in my computer. The best stuff (hard-to-find old movies, etc.) I keep on at least 2 of the drives.
@OneOfMany (9197)
I now have the information stored in 3 places. Eventually I'll put more info in another location. I have to learn to be a little more consistent with what I save now.
@cacay1 (31822)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
Nice, you have a new computer.We need to have back up of our old files in case worst comes to worst.
@OneOfMany (9197)
Yes, now I have the data in 3 places. I just have to make sure I store the new data I acquire into back ups as I go.
glad you were able to save things, I remember you mentioning it a bit ago
@OneOfMany (9197)
Yes, but for some reason I wasn't too terribly worried like I would get in the past. I guess I had a feeling that I would figure it out sooner or later.
@dodoazo (8252)
What did you use for transferring your files from your old computer to a new one? Did you use the facility of Windows Easy Transfer? Since you said that you have successfully transferred your files without an issue, meaning the files are cleaned. Is that so?
@OneOfMany (9197)
I plugged the drive into a hard drive dock and it opened up three windows and I dragged files from the one with my stuff on it. I had to change the security permissions to access the files under my user folder, where the bulk of my data was. I almost thought that wasn't going to work, but it did. Fortunately both the dock and the new computer have USB 3.0. which made the transfer much faster than it would have been otherwise.