I Understand It Is Legal In Iowa

free image of red kangaroo
I understand that it is legal in Iowa to own a kangaroo. One of the lighter things I saw on the news this morning was about a police force rounding up an escaped kangaroo in Iowa. The owner said that they had always wanted an exotic pet and had purchased this critter at an exotic animal sale. Now they have decided that they are not able to care for it adequately. In fact, the owner was ready to post the kangaroo on Craig's List. Okay, people listen up: Exotic animals are not tame, they do not make good pets and they require special care. It is not fair to you or your family OR the pet to buy an exotic animal for your home. When you purchase these animals you boost your own ego and you encourage poaching and capture of exotic animals or inhumane breeding and sales. You keep this type of trade alive. So whether it is legal in Iowa or not. Do not buy a kangaroo.
That's a new one to me! Kangaroos have this lovable image but actually are mean animals. Crazy to want an exotic animal. Just asking for trouble.
I do not know what gives people these crazy notions.I think it is the animals the way we see them on cartoons and cutesy movies that makes us think we could do this.
@sjvg1976 (18407)
Oh that's sad . Why don't they made it legal when it an exotic creature?
I do not have any idea why they would make owning an exotic animal legal. It is not like they would be a good companion or anything.
It is so very sad for the poor creatures..how ridiculously cruel that man is...like a spoiled brat..I dont want it now.
A pet of any kind is a commitment and they do not ask for silly uncommitted owners.
@Platespinner (17062)
I have no interest in exotic pets whatsoever...in fact I tend to lean more towards farm type animals than pets anyhow (just don't mention that to the 4 cats that make their home with us).
@UncleJoe (10875)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
There's a saying that "You can own a dog but you only feed a cat."
Cats are "farm animals" and any other kind of animal they choose to be.
@GardenGerty Two of ours would thrive as barn cats (if they didn't kill each other in the process), the other two need their staff of slaves to cater to their whims.
@Asylum (48224)
• Manchester, England
I can honestly say that the idea of buying a kangaroo has never crossed my mind. In fact, come to think of it, I have never considered buying a duck billed platypus or a yak either. I suppose that I must be boring and unadventurous.
You do not even own a cat, what can we expect?
@Asylum (48224)
• Manchester, England
@GardenGerty I do have cats by proxy because my neighbour's cats are always wandering into my home. However, none of my neighbours have kangaroos, so my home is a kangaroo free zone.
@Asylum Of course they also adopt you on holiday as well.
@MsTickle (24993)
What a flaming idiot! a roo that size could kill someone or do a real lot of damage. Apart from that it makes no sense to try and 'own' a wild animal as a pet.
This is not the actual roo of the story. The one shown on TV looked smaller, like maybe a wallaby? People who do not know better call anything that resembles a roo. I felt like it was pretty bizarre to want an exotic animal. They find gators in lakes just a little further south of here. People get babies as pets and then flush them.
@MsTickle (24993)
@GardenGerty That's so dumb it's making me laugh..
@MsTickle In a way that was the point of this post. I cannot imagine thinking I could own an exotic pet.
that line from Jurassic park, just because you can doesnt mean you shouldnt stop and consider if you should. When the pirates of the Caribbean break down they dont eat the riders, lol.
There are many things that are legal, but not right.
@Jessicalynnt That would be an approach.
@bagarad (12762)
• Paso Robles, California
I learned this when my uncle decided to get an ocelot as a pet. When it was small it seemed OK, but then it grew up and it was not tame. I never really interacted with it, since I was out of the house by then and didn't get home much. I hear it began ripping off the wall paper and bringing down the curtain rods and tearing the drapes apart. They could not control it and finally put it outside in a cage. They finally got rid of it. I suppose they sold it or gave it away. I don't remember. I think my uncle learned a lesson.
My uncle rescued a racoon once. Cha cha was fine, and cute, until she reached puberty. I am not sure what finally happened to her.
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
Not my first choice for a pet. I don't get how some people think.
You say people think?!! Not sure this one did.
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
@GardenGerty True, craziness everywhere you look
I had no idea it would be legal anywhere to own a kangaroo. They should be kept in the wild of Australia. I totally agree with you. We have no business buying exotic pets.
I do not mind seeing them in a well run and staffed zoo. Not a house pet, for sure.
@GardenGerty True, about the only place I've ever seen one.
well I gather you are not for the sale of exotic animals, okay fair enough as I agree they do require special care . . . and if humans have trouble with domesticated animals, can you imagine the trouble with the wild ones ? Good post
I believe that most private individuals who think they want an exotic pet quickly tire of them. I also do not believe that for the most part they are easy to tame or take care of. The animals suffer. You are right, many people do a poor job of caring for domestic animals.
@PainsOnSlate (20579)
I can't even imagine owning a Kangaroo, They are big and can beat a human up...why would anyone want one?
When I saw the newscast it looked more like a wallaby or a smaller species. Not like this big red guy.
they're not like dogs and cats that would protect us if some thing happens, they belong in the wild.
You are right, they belong in the wild. They are not domestic, they are not tame. They do not have a purpose in a family.
@1wldngl (3991)
People get silly ideas and do silly things that they later regret. Poor animals sometimes suffer. It's a shame. I hope they find a good rescue or sanctuary for the poor Roo.
I guess I was not aware of how big a business this is . Yes, I agree, we do often get ideas we regret.
@UncleJoe (10875)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
(sigh) Now you tell me. Anybody wanna buy a used kangaroo?
Sounds like a line from a song.
• Rochester, New York
I don't know about owning a kangaroo, but I would love to own an owl. They are illegal to own in the USA so therefore that won't happen. Plus I know that I wouldn't be able to properly care for one so that would never happen. It's best to leave them in the wild where they belong,
But you can make your property into an owl attracting habitat and share the space, neither you nor the owl owning each other.
@GardenGerty funny, hysterical, sad or not but when I lived in the states I heard of a family only forgot which state they lived in that owned a kangaroo. The let the kangaroo hop around with their baby daughter in the pouch. Go figure. Of course only around the house and in the garden but still....
Sounds like they made their kangaroo one of the family.
@Hate2Iron (8022)
Its sad to think that you take them from their familiar home and when you can't keep them any longer.. you just pass them on to anyone. If you want an exotic pet, by a stuffed animal.
I do not know if the one on television was possibly captive bred. It was not as large or mature looking as my image. However, I agree. Stuffed animals can look very good and are low maintenance.
Iowa ranks #49 in animal protection laws in the USA. The worst state at #50 is Kentucky. Illinois is #1 in having the toughest animal protection laws. Bad move on Iowa's part since it is not a good place to have an animal of any kind.
No it is not. I am glad they found this one. The weather right now would have killed it. We had a group of large red kangaroos escape a nearby zoo in the early spring and freeze several years ago.