There's No Place Like Home

Bunbury, Australia
We arrived home late this afternoon having been away from the Thursday before Easter. The last week we've spent at Denmark on the south coast of Western Australia. The weather has been mostly fine and we've had a relaxing time. We caught up with two friends at the same park and travelled with them to various places. The caravan park is situated beside a river which runs into an inlet. The photo shows the canoes which can be hired for a punt up the river. There were a lot of pelicans near the mouth of the river and I'll put photos of them up one day. We visited several wineries and also went to an ANZAC museum in nearby Albany. I'm looking forward to going through my 67 emails giving all your notifications. So catch up with you soon.
@bluesa (11774)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@JudyEv , sounds like a wonderful time. But, I have to agree, there really is no place like home. :)
Thanks. It was restful and fun but I do miss having the internet. :)
@LdeL0318 (6498)
It's always nice to travel once in a while. But as you have said there will be really no place like home.
There are so many things to see in the world but we can't see them by staying home so it's good to travel occasionally.
@LdeL0318 (6498)
@JudyEv Yes that's true. We should also travel as long as we still can.
@LdeL0318 We are starting to feel some aches and pains so we're anxious to keep going as long as we can.
@fishtiger58 (30279)
• Momence, Illinois
I thought you were on a trip as I hadn't seen you in a while Glad you had a great time and arrived home safely.
We went away the day before Easter. I thought I might have been able to get on the internet a bit more but it wasn't to be.
@fishtiger58 (30279)
• Momence, Illinois
@JudyEv I'm glad you're back.
@fishtiger58 Thanks It's nice catching up with everyone again.
@Asylum (46802)
• Manchester, England
You managed to confuse me completely with this post. I saw reference to Denmark before opening the discussion, because the first line or so is written below the title. The image certainly did not look like Denmark to me, then I read that you are referring to a place in Western Australia.
I try always to mention West Oz or Australia now as I know some people forget or don't know that I'm down under. When Denmark is mentioned here we rarely think of the 'other' (country) Denmark.
@Asylum (46802)
• Manchester, England
@JudyEv It is quite local to me so it is the automatic thought. In fact, I was not even aware that a place called Denmark existed in Australia. The American members here keep doing the same thing to me. They mention cities which have names borrowed from Britain and I have to stop and read it over again. I am certain that you all do this to me for a laugh.
@Asylum I don't at all - although I might start doing it now! I take care to put West Oz in many of my posts to try to stop any confusion. We have thousands of English place names here too.
@silvermist (15794)
@JudyEv Glad you are back and that you are catching with pending mails and notifications.There is no place like home.Looking forward to the photos of the Pelicans.
We have one of them dancing! I hadn't seen this one before. Vince took it but it is so funny.
@silvermist (15794)
@JudyEv As I said,looking forward to the photos.
@silvermist The one of the pelicans is up now. It's called Doing the Pelican Waltz.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Things look clean. Do most people respect the environment in Western (and Southwestern) Australia? Except for the crazies who set fires, that is.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@JudyEv Will he be assessed by a psychologist?
@TheHorse Yes, he will. They are very conscientious about giving everyone their rights. Sometimes the crims or whatever seem to have more rights than the victims. In his statement he said he was depressed and wanted to help fight fires. He is almost bound to get a jail term but hopefully he'll get help as well.
@Ronrybs (7075)
• London, England
Nice to get home, even after an excellent trip
That's true. In a couple of weeks we are off again to a music festival.
@Ronrybs (7075)
• London, England
@JudyEv On the road again!
@Ronrybs Yes, something like that!
A punt up the river? Okay, That term is used much differently than here. We really only use it for football and for when we do something we do not expect to succeed. As in, "Oh, I guess I'll just punt."
'Punt' has those connotations here too. I think 'punting up a river' is probably very 'English'.
@JudyEv Yes, and sounds "quaint" to the rest of us English speakers.
• Midland, Michigan
While there isn't anyplace like home, it's hard to leave vacationing many times too, for it just seems too short. Maybe the length of time you were gone helps to minimize that feeling. I didn't realize there is a Denmark in Australia. There is so much about the world and it's places that I've no clue about. I'm learning so much here visiting with everyone. Glad you had a good time and got to spend time with friends while traveling around too.
I try to remember that most people here are familiar with Western Australia but sometimes I forget! Luckily I remember here or some people would be very confused.
yes,welcome back here.Good luck with the mail and notification there.
I am all caught up again now so that is always a good feeling.
Lovely to have you back Judy, and I look forward to more travellers tales.
Thanks. I was really looking forward to getting online and checking out what everyone was up to.
• Stanton, Kentucky
I'm glad you had a relaxing trip and and a safe journey home.
Thank you. We are off again in a week or two to a music festival. Just need to regroup and restock - and we have a house concert in the middle before we leave. Never a dull moment at the moment.
Sounds like a great trip and I really like those colorful canoes ( did you take a ride up the river?) I'm sure you'll be happy to be home and in your own bed
We didn't go for a row up the river. All these things cost so this time we didn't bother.
Nice to travel, but after a while we long for our home sweet home, don't we?
Home is always good. The bed is comfortable, you know how to work the shower and the stove without having to think about it.
@xFiacre (10367)
@judyev my abiding memory of Australia is pelicans. And the wallaby that kicked me inn the groin.
I have a great photo of pelicans dancing which I will put up shortly. It must have been a tall wallaby or are you vertically challenged? :)
@ida123 (6284)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
I think you enjoy so much of your travel to Denmark. Yes, no place can ever replace our home because home sweet home.
Have you heard the saying 'A man's home is his castle'? That is very true I think.
@Platespinner (18067)
Denmark in Australia...that reminds me of strip of driving through Mexico, New York many years ago. Oh, and your photo of canoes? Those would be considered kayaks in this part of the world (open, or sit-on-top kayaks, but kayaks none-the-less).
Maybe that's what they are here too. We certainly talk about kayaks as well as canoes. I don't really understand the difference.
@JudyEv A little bit of research has left me needing to apologize. According to what I just read kayaks are considered a type of canoe...much like a poodle is a type of dog...I did NOT know that.
@Platespinner You should have kept quiet and I would have remained impressed by your knowledge! Now I'm not so much.
@AnneEJ (5118)
• Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, Quebec
Glad you had a nice time away, but it is always nice to get home
We're regrouping now ready for our next venture out in a few weeks to a music festival.
@AnneEJ (5118)
• Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, Quebec
@JudyEv That sounds like fun
@AnneEJ Sometimes it pours with rain; sometimes we all get cooked by the sun so you need to be ready for all eventualities.
This place looks wonderful, I like the colorful canoes. Welcome back home.
The canoes are lovely aren't they? Thanks for the welcome.
@JudyEv Yes, those canoes looks so nice and clean.
I have a feeling you will be working through notifications for awhile!
I've managed to catch up so I'm glad about that.
@JudyEv I was caught up, then went to bed, lol!