Being Health Aware

@patgalca (13962)
Orangeville, Ontario
I had my annual physical a couple of weeks ago. Because of my mom's heart attack getting my blood test and urinalysis, and hip x-rays was put on the back burner. On Friday I had them done. At the lab they gave me a pamphlet telling me I could register online and see my blood/urine test results. Since my doctor isn't in town and I only get a phone call if there is something wrong, I was happy to be able to check my results online. It was only a matter of 48 hours. I've seen results like this before because my husband gets tested at work and they give him the paperwork. It tells you your "scores" and then what numbers they should be between. I am so happy we are able to see our own lab results. It gives us a little more insight into our own health instead of just having a doctor say everything is okay. I saw my creatinine level was one point under the high point. I have had problems with this number before and it was determined that my kidneys are functioning at 85%. Seeing these results made me realize that I need to drink more water. With the number being within the range, my doctor might not say anything to me. But I am now informed and can do what I need to do to keep healthy. I don't' think is an Ontario Health Insurance benefit as I was told that as long as I had my blood drawn by a lab of the same name I could see my results. If there are any other Ontario residents and/or Canadians here, have you been offered this benefit?
@sol_cee (13166)
• Japan
I have no idea how to read laboratory results.
@patgalca (13962)
• Orangeville, Ontario
They are just numbers. One column is your result, and another column the numbers they are supposed to be. You can tell if your number is outside the range then that means something isn't right. I only knew about the one result because it was something I have had to deal with in the past. Being one number below the highest number in the range tells me the number is too high.