About Mopping Floors and Killing Grass

https://pixabay.com/en/yes-no-maybe-yellow-indecisive-941500/
After the tufts of grass growing between the concrete have been poked, pulled and scraped, I searched online for simple ways to kill the remaining stumps and roots so they don't grow again. I've read about pouring boiling water, vinegar, salt, bleach, dishwashing liquid, etc, but there were conflicting results and opinions shared by readers and experts. How do you kill stubborn grass? I tried adding baking soda to the water when I mopped the floor, but it left a white powdery residue afterwards. Next time, I added white vinegar to the water instead, but when I looked it up online later on, some are saying vinegar isn't good for tiles. Have you used baking soda or vinegar on tiles?
We usually just use weed killer.
i didn't want to because they're just a few unsightly clumps here and there
@hereandthere If there is only a few I dig them out with an old knife. You could then pour boiling water on them I guess.
@AnneEJ (5213)
• Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, Quebec
I live in an apartment now so don't have to worry about looking after a yard.
no more greenery?
@AnneEJ (5213)
• Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, Quebec
@hereandthere Someone else looks after the yard
I haven't got any tiles, so can't offer advice. I just spray weed killer on the grass and weeds.
that's okay. i didn't want to buy weed killer since they're just scattered tufts of grass.
That's my problem too . I wiped the yellow tiles in our bathroom with a bit of soap and zonrox . But after it dried it left whitish marks . The bathroom tiles on the wall looks dirty already like its not being washed .
@rina110383 (20886)
Haven't used both to clean tiles, though I've read and heard that they are effective in cleaning solutions.
you have your own toilet there at the dorm, right? what cleaners do you use?
@rina110383 (20886)
@hereandthere I use zonrox and muriatic acid.
@rina110383 i've never used muriatic acid, i'm scared somehow, but i've used liquid sosa to declog the kitchen and bathroom sinks. do the rooms there have a small kitchen or is cooking discouraged?
I use hot water and salt, the salt kills the roots and does not leave powdery residue on the floors.
how much salt should i put in the water?
@hereandthere To prepare an effective natural herbicide, mix 1 Kg of salt to 5 liters of water and also add a tablespoon of vinegar. This should kill the roots of the weeds.
@LadyDuck it's only a few clumps so i'll reduce the ratio/proportion. thanks!
@AkoPinay (7318)
Haven't tried using them. I only use laundry powder when mopping tiled floors. For grasses, I don't know how to kill them.
but wouldn't laundry powder be hard to rinse because of the lather/bubbles?
@AkoPinay (7318)
@hereandthere depends on its brand Surf is hard to rinse but Tide is fine for me.
@AkoPinay oh, we're the opposite. it's tide powder that i find much harder to rinse!
@ridingbet (16932)
we just use the detergents and liquid soaps on tiles. sometimes that Mr. Muscle does the trick. vinegar? we use that to soak turnips and cucumber, and then goes in to our stomachs. burp!
sometimes i do that - soak cucumber in vinegar with salt, pepper, and sugar. it goes well with fried and grilled food. i haven't used liquid detergent on tiles yet. wouldn't it be hard to rinse off? i thought mr. muscle was only for the toilet bowl.
@ridingbet (16932)
@hereandthere when your lavatory has clogs, you can use that muscleman too. also it can remove those green stains between the tiles- moss?
@ridingbet i would buy a small bottle of liquid sosa when it happens, but good to know mr muscleman can unclog drains, too. thanks for that.
I have used baking soda and vinegar on tiles, but I also give it a good rinsing afterwards. The vinegar is supposed to be diluted with water, as straight vinegar could be quite corrosive. I love that squeaky clean feeling. Kill grass/weeds? Come live in Southern California where we have a drought . . . many people have opted to not water their lawns anymore - they say brown is new green out here!
yeah, i think i didn't rinse the baking soda enough mud is also brown
@hereandthere If the baking soda isn't rinsed out well, you get that gritty residue too. And , yes, we have a lot of mud (more like dirt since it is so dry) here!
@mom210 (5254)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I make the kids pull them, what else are kids good for?
i agree. kids should be involved, not exempted.
• Midland, Michigan
I've killed weeds, grass and such in the concrete before and it last for that year but returns again the next. It's never totally gone. Even if using some commercial weed killer. My kitchen floor is over sixty years old and we cannot afford to replace it just yet. It takes about four things to clean it. I could do it one way the first time but I'd need to replace the mop head each time. I've thought about writing about it just today, so that's all I'm saying right now. I usually use commercial products.
yes, i've seen comments in websites saying they grow back but they also say at least it's safer for the soil and pets and children
@Lucky15 (29300)
I haven't. Just bleach to disinfect ;)
• Marion, Kansas
Yes, I like a little bleach water. Vinegar does disinfect as well.
I am confused on what this is. If there are tiles I am assuming its not outside. But if its inside I can't figure out why there is grass growing up. I hear vinegar works but I don't know if its true either.
• Eugene, Oregon
No, but vinegar will definitely kill grass.
good to know it vinegar works
• Marion, Kansas
Depending on the type of grass, salt dissolved in water, then add equal part of white vinegar. One or two squirts of dish soap makes it stay to do its work. 1 cup salt, four cups vinegar four cups water. Are your tiles ceramic? Vinegar works great diluted in the water. If they are some kind of no wax tiles you are supposed to just use water. I have an all purpose cleaner my hubby sells that I use on everything.
Never experience this, i'd probably just gut or remove it along with its roots.
@acelawrites (8499)
Yes, I used both for my CR/bathroom tiles but more white marks appeared when it became wet again after we used the bathroom. Don't know what to use. For grasses, maybe hot/boiling water is effective to kill the roots instead of using herbicides which is harmful to the environment.
No, I haven't used those on tiles yet.
@shshiju (6788)
• Cochin, India
I had never tried the above tips. Thanks for it.
is this inside? does it need sealed?