Feeling Thankful for Editors

Time out at my niece's farm
By Val
@valmnz (12573)
New Zealand
Isn't it funny how, when we know no better, we think how clever all those published authors are to produce writing that flows so easily. Sadly, for most, that is not the case. I now know that much of the success for published writing comes from the clever skill of editors. They know how to take a clumsy piece of work, whether it's simply a sentence, a paragraph, or even a whole chapter, and suggest ways to make it read more easily. Some of you know I received a small grant last year, toward editing and publishing my latest research work. Although I'm still in the early stages of my book, I'm feeling thankful for my amazing editor. Last week she suggested I combine three chapter into two, which has meant considerable rewriting. At first I resisted, but eventually I came around to her way of thinking. I'm glad I did. The resulting two chapters are much better and I'm feeling satisfied. It really does seem like a case of three steps forward and one backward though.
@Platespinner (18055)
A good editor is invaluable...my youngest daughter is my editor of choice. She isn't always very sensitive in how she points out problems (which has gotten her into a heap of trouble with some of her friends who want to become writers) but when I've had her check stuff for me she is usually spot on in her suggestions (of course she IS my daughter and I'm probably a tad biased...)
@valmnz (12573)
• New Zealand
My husband is actually good at picking up things that halt the flow of the writing for hm as a reader. And if it dos that for him, it could well do for other readers as well
@valmnz It's handy to have family members that can and do spot things like that, isn't it!
@valmnz (12573)
• New Zealand
@Platespinner Sure is!
@LoriAMoore (9542)
Editors are wonderful. What is the subject of your research?
@valmnz (12573)
• New Zealand
A local social history of the story of the old swimming baths here, in existence between 1917 and 1966. This is a wonderful journey I'm taking, but a huge learning curve.
@xFiacre (10364)
@valmnz It all sounds like so much hard work. I'll just stick to Mylot. On Saturday however I'm going on a day retreat for would be writers.
@valmnz (12573)
• New Zealand
I'm glad you haven't done that yet, I was wondering if I might have missed it during my absence. yes, this book is far more hard work than the first, simply because it's a different kind of writing from what I'm used to doing.
@Inlemay (17323)
• South Africa
that is great - if you take those steps into three steps forward ball change one back, then you are dancing
@valmnz (12573)
• New Zealand
Like it
@Inlemay (17323)
• South Africa
@valmnz then dance for the editor and produce a Wonderful Book
@valmnz (12573)
• New Zealand
@Inlemay yeds mam!
@thelme55 (11407)
I think it is good to have extra pairs of eyes to see the mistakes of what we are writing. Good editor is of great help when you write a book.
@valmnz (12573)
• New Zealand
Necessary I'd say, especially when you see the poor quality of some e-books published these days.
• Eugene, Oregon
And it is possible that your three chapters were fine. Editing can be no more than an educated opinion.
@valmnz (12573)
• New Zealand
They were passable, but it all reads much better now.
@irishidid (8119)
A lot depends on what the author wants or needs the editor to do. Sometimes you might just need a basic edits that checks for punctuation, spelling errors, etc. In my experience I just want the basics without the editor telling me to rewrite parts. Of course fiction and non-fiction have their differences so I can see why a rewrite may be necessary for non-fiction.
@valmnz (12573)
• New Zealand
Yes, I needed someone who understood local history , she's acting as a mentor as well.
I've been very happy for the extra set of eyes on my work as I get Scarred ready for the second edition. However, I got an e-mail from him informing me he won't be able to help me anymore. I'm grateful for the help he has given me, and I'm sure that the simple mistakes I've made I can take care of on my own for the last 18 chapters I have to go on it.
@valmnz (12573)
• New Zealand
That fine tuning from someone else really does help. I've learned a lot in the process too, so my writing is definitely improving.
@valmnz I know what to look for, since it always seemed to be the same mistakes I made.
@Jackalyn (6646)
• Oxford, England
Talk to me if you are up for an edit exchange?
I've never really thought about the role of editor. If I'd thought about it at all I would have assumed that they just checked the spelling and grammar.
@valmnz (12573)
• New Zealand
Since starting this I've learned there are two kinds of editors, ideally you can afford both! One makes sure the content is correct, has a logical flow,checks facts etc, important in non-fiction, historical fiction and such. The second then edits the spelling, grammar etc at the end, before publication.
@valmnz That's interesting to know, thanks Val.
Good editing is important. I think it is important for a writer to get another person's view on your work. Three steps forward and one back now is a lot better than a big rewrite and not getting published.
@valmnz (12573)
• New Zealand
Which is why I'm getting it edited as I go, decade by decade!
@valmnz ....There ya go.
That's wonderful that you have a good editor.
@valmnz (12573)
• New Zealand
She certainly knows what she is doing!
• Austin, Texas
My first attempt at freelance writing was reviewed by the site's editor. Point 1. She didn't tell me the article was unusable, which gave me hope. Point 2. She offered some really good pointers to help me improve its presentation. When I followed her advice and made the changes, I surprised myself! Why the surprise? Because I knew what the article looked like PRE-edit and the thoughts and ideas to make changes and improvement definitely did NOT come out of my head! The POST-edit final published article would not have happened without her. God bless good editors.
@valmnz (12573)
• New Zealand
Exactly! They know what they are doing. Our job is to write as best we can.
Oh,you lead a very full life after retirement. I reckon this is exactly what gives an editor an edge over a writer.Mybe we can compare an editor to a film's director in a way.
@valmnz (12573)
• New Zealand
correct. It takes more than just the writer to produce a quality book.
@boiboing (12524)
• Northampton, England
I recently edited a book for a friend and I know that I made it a lot better than it would have been. I'm keen to do more editing work. However, she was the perfect person to work with as she took every single suggestion and ran with it - no resistance, no fighting.
@valmnz (12573)
• New Zealand
Editing is a great skill to have. I help a friend and editing my own work has definitely improved. I'm working in a new to me field at the moment, so need my editors help!
@Jackalyn (6646)
• Oxford, England
You got a grant for editing. I an interested. I so know I need an editor and cannot afford one. I am off to research this!
@valmnz (12573)
• New Zealand
I won a local literature and history grant that we have in our community.
i'm so glad that'cha found'ja a great editor - they're worth their weight'n pure gold! i'd a brilliant one also, many eons 'go. sadly she's passed'n, i've yet to find a new'un. prolly coz i tend to dribble funny, lol.
@valmnz (12573)
• New Zealand
I think mine needs a lot of patience to sort me out too!
I'm sure you are enjoying this process although it might be a lot of work.
@valmnz (12573)
• New Zealand
It certainly is. If I'd known what I was in for I may not have started! However, most of the time I enjoy it
You are right. We think we know everything until someone in authority points it out to us and says that we need to improve.
@valmnz (12573)
• New Zealand
and oh boy, do I need some improvement!!!
Editors, especially good ones, can be so helpful. Thumbs up to you, too!
@valmnz (12573)
• New Zealand
Thanks. It's a wonderful learning curve.
• Portland, Connecticut
A good editor can make or break a work and it seems that you have drawn a great one. I am glad you are working well together and are satisfied with the direction your work is going.
@valmnz (12573)
• New Zealand
I have indeed. She was recommended to me by another editor, who was going to do the job, but became unwell.