Did you ever meet a lost relative?

@Jackalyn (6538)
Oxford, England
I am always interested as I met my Grandad for the first time in my late twenties. He was not what I had expected, but I had always worried about him as a child. It was sad as he had longed to see me and my sister all those years and I never did get a good explanation for his absence. I sort of understand the need to find lost relatives. It does make you feel more connected.
No. I don't really have many relatives out there and have no long lost ones. Maybe some distant relatives I am unaware of.
@ilocosboy (33962)
Its not really lost but just in distance relative, the feeling was really fulfilling to see the relative from a distant place
I have known all my grandparents and my aunts and uncles. It's odd that he never explained the reason why he did not want to meet you.
@cupkitties (6699)
I've met my half sisters. The youngest one resembles my older daughter quite a bit. Would love to meet my dad's half brother, assuming he's even still alive. There is a rumor that he was gay and his family pretty much shut him out. Of course my parents are homophobic as heck so we grew up never knowing him.
@Marcyaz (36036)
I had met some cousins that I hadn't seen for many years and it was a good reunion. Some things happen where you just can't seem to get together because of distance or some other reason.
No explanation at all? That's very odd. I knew all my grandparents well.
• Calgary, Alberta
Years ago I met my brothers to my dad's mistress. They were nice guys and I get along with them.
@irishidid (8270)
I've met two of my siblings. I was adopted.
@Jackalyn Over the years I've reached out to distant relatives but primarily looked to see if people are related to me as there are not that many people in the US with my last name.
Glad that you finally met your GrandDad.
Yes it does. I learned of a cousin I think, when I lived in Illinois, and sent them a card introducing myself and our connection, inviting them to an open house we were having. They came and it was a very enjoyable visit, though it was the only time I ever saw them. I also found a cousin a couple years ago and went to their home, only once, but once was enough. I still get many e-mails from her and am friends on FB. Her husband is my second cousin. He has been working on our ancestors and has a full wall dedicated to the lineage and how it all works together and who is connected to who. While I was there, I saw a picture of my grandfather as a baby. Very fascinating.
@CRK109 (14296)
Growing up, I had an uncle who had left his home here on the east coast, USA and drove out to California to be a musician. He played with a lot of the big bands back in the day. When I was about 13, we flew to California (my first plane ride) and I got to meet him, finally. And oh how I loved that man! Great discussion subject!
• Rochester, New York
I am connected with a majority of my family on Facebook. We have a family group that we keep in touch through.