Strawberry Jello

gelatin
For the longest time my refrigerator would not chill right. I could not get it down to below 50 degrees F. That is not good. It is supposed to be around 40 or below. I finally got the matter sorted out, though and everything is staying fresh and keeping well like a refrigerator is supposed to. All I did was completely let it defrost. I made strawberry jello yesterday. It was a joy to be able to make jello!! In the UK you probably call it "jelly" and other places call it gelatin. I finished eating my strawberry jello today for lunch. The image is a free online image of strawberry jello, cause I did not take a picture of mine. So when things work right, it is easy to be thankful. I am finally enjoying a nice cold refrigerator. And I like cold jello for dessert in the summer. I hope you are having the simple joys of good food and working appliances.
I have a friend from Sri Lanka . . . because the British had influence in their country, they call it "jelly" too. Jelly to me is more like the fruit spread, as in jam (we had this conversation once ). Enjoy your strawberry jello (reminds me we have some in the pantry - I should make it!).
I can see the different names. I picked up from here that some people call them "jellies". Thought it would add some relevance for people. I probably have had this box forever.
@GardenGerty I guess we think of the name Kraft gave to it - it's just become our household term for gelatin. Oh yes, we've got a couple of jello boxes that have been around for a long time!
Although not my favorite thing, I do occasionally eat it.
I keep it on hand for bad colds and stomach upsets to drink warm. It has just been frustrating not to be able to make it, so I did, because I can.
Enjoying the fabulous foods and better working appliances and good advice on full defrosting to get things as far as temperature gauges working correctly !
It is not supposed to need defrosting as a general rule. I cannot remember now how it got frozen up. . . I believe it got ice in an air intake tube or some such. I hate it when things do not work right.
@GardenGerty well appliances are NOT like people who can manage themselves, usually, to be better than they are-- machines need people to keep them running in tip top condition.
@enlightenedpsych2 Yes, we can choose to manage.I will pity my appliances and try to help then work their best as well.
Jelly () was a staple dessert when I was growing up - usually with bottled (canned) fruit. With Vince being Type II diabetic, I don't make it now as I guess it is full of sugar although I must admit I've never checked the packet.
I did not check. I am type 2 diabetic as well. You can get sugar free, with artificial sweeteners. I think I redeemed myself by putting unsweetened strawberries in it. It was sweet enough.
@GardenGerty Vince reckons he can 'taste' the artificial sweeteners so I don't buy that sort. But there are plenty of other choices.
@JudyEv Actually you can start with unflavored gelatin and use real fruit juices to sweeten and flavor it. I do not like the taste of most artificial sweeteners either. For instance in coffee and tea I had rather drink unsweetened.
I am now as well. I blew the circuit in the kitchen a week ago connecting the fridge and the freezer was no longer freezing, until yesterday. Now everything is back to normal, and I like it that way. I didn't do anything to make that happen.
For years I have had a bottom freezer. This one I got in September has a top freezer. The freezer worked but not the fridge. I thawed it all out for about three days and it worked. In mine it seems the freezer is where the cold happens and then it drifts down to the fridge, but I had gotten ice packed in the place where the air was supposed to go through.
@GardenGerty I'm glad you got it working.
@Hate2Iron (7859)
That looks like the perfect summer dessert. Now all I need is the jello!! I have enough strawberries!!
Strawberries are so good so many ways.
Jello sounds very good on a hot humid day like today. I like it plain though. Not with the fruit that some put in it.
I tend to always put fruit in it. The Chinese restaurants around here make the clear in cubes for the salad bar.
@cupkitties (7174)
Gotta love the jello It's one of the few foods that actually tastes delicious while being healthy for us. Glad you got the fridge problem solved.
Oh, so am I as I bought it new when we moved and I was so disappointed.
I do believe the simple joys are what make life worth living! Strawberry Jell-O sure does sound good right now!
It and a salad were perfect to go with the hot main dish for supper.
@thelme55 (14571)
I love the strawberry jelly. I am glad your fridge is working good now.
I am glad too, and my husband is getting more cold foods now because we got it to work.
It is great when refrigerators work properly! I keep forgetting to buy Jell-O.
@marsha32 (6693)
mom has jello every evening.....I'm not much of a fan except when it's made in to any in to any of the wonderful salads.
@Lucky15 (33386)
Simple joys means...we appreciate.a.lot.more than worrying what we can not have :)
• Rochester, New York
I haven't had jello in the longest time! Maybe I'll make some tomorrow.
@CRK109 (14465)
I love jello. I love it by itself and I love it with fruit in it and I love it soaked through angel food cake. I always took it for granted growing up but I really do love the stuff. And yes, it is GREAT in summer!
I rather like jello pudding
@Yar_Joey (3303)
Hahaha! The only appliance that I enjoy this summer is the airconditioning unit. And of course the ref too. Enjoy your jello
The right temp for our fridge is 37 degrees which I assume is the same for any brand.