How many glasses of water do you drink per day

Hello,with this heat wave that we are having.How many glasses of water do you drink?I drink five glasses.Three in the morning and two in the afternoon/ Elders should drink more water so that they will not get dehydrated. Also you get water from some of the fruit.Like peaches,watermelon. Plus it help for those on a diet to lose some weight. I posted a chart to see if this will help you. Let us hear from you.How many glasses of water do you drink. the chart is public domaine
@garymarsh6 (14429)
That is a very helpful chart. I think more people should look at this hopefully it will help them keep hydrated. I must admit I do not drink water it makes me want to hurl. I have to have it flavoured with something. I do drink lots of coffee throughout the day though! I know I should drink more.
@garymarsh6 Thank you for suggesting this post Gary, it's interesting.
@Mike197602 what ever your doing.You seems to be happy.Enjoy there
@garymarsh coffee has the caffeine there.Not sure if this is a good thing.
@Inlemay (17042)
• South Africa
I used to drink 8 cups and my doc said its too much as I am washing all my minerals out my body -so I am down to 6
@Ibkenat six is great.
@pgntwo (22578)
• Tripoli, Libya
Variable amounts each day - aim to consume enough liquids to keep urine colour from being too dark... And caffeine stimulates the kidneys, so water is better.
@garymarsh6 (14429)
I have to get my stimulation from somewhere! Gawd what a party pooper! ;-)
@garymarsh6 Poor Gary.Do you drink any?
@pgntwo correct there.Smart person
I love fruit so I guess I get some water that way but the only water I drink is the flavored kind. I know I should drink it more often but it makes me feel bloated and awful when I do.
@LovingMyBabies sorry to hear that.I suppose that it could cause bloating.
@amadeo It's such an uncomfortable feeling so I don't drink as much as I should.
@nomus24g (24931)
That's vital discussion topic, you brought up...drinking optimum level of water is the need of proper body functioning (at any age)
@nomus24g yes,sir you are correct there
I don't drink very much water, but drink a lot of tea - that's made with water so that's got to be alright?
@jaboUK not sure about the caffeine there?
@amadeo There's not so much caffeine in tea as there is in coffee, is there?
@jaboUK It depends upon which tea you drink. If you find decaf tea that is naturally low in caffeine, and you like that, drink it.
I do not drink near enough water. I do not like it, and the amount that I do drink I have to force down. I do eat a lot of cucumbers and apples, both are high in water content.
@Juliaacv yes,along with peaches,watermelon etc.
I don't like water at all, but using the Britta pitcher made it okay. It removes all that nasty tasting stuff.
@owlwings (39768)
• Cambridge, England
There is a lot of nonsense talked about how much water one should drink each day and most of it is down to an over-simplification of the real recommendations. First of all, most people ignore the fact that nealy all foods and all drinks contain significant amounts of water and that should be accounted for in the daily total of water intake. It is NOT necessary to drink an actual "8 cups (2 litres)" of water a day because at least half of that will be taken in the food and drink we normally have. Second, how much water you need depends on a number of factors, including body weight (and the chart above does show that) but it also depends on the ambient temperature and humidity and how much exercise you do. A labourer working all day in the hot sun needs a great deal more liquid than someone sitting at home in a cool climate. Ultimately, the calculation of how much water an individual should drink, depending on all these factors becomes far too complicated and most people would actually be drinking (or trying to drink) much more than they need and (which is more important) worrying unneccessarily about it! It is certainly a fact that dehydration is much more serious than over-hydration - which is not to say that you can't drink too much water: you can and are certainly more likely to if you worry too much about your water intake and try to force yourself to drink two or three litres of water a day. The best and most reliable guide to whether or not your water intake is sufficient is to look at your urine. It should be a light straw colour. If it is dark and orange, then you should drink more water to correct it. If it is very pale yellow, then you are probably drinking more than you need and you certainly don't need to worry!
@vandana7 (67706)
Nice suggestion. I did not know that...though I was told about urine color and drinking more water. But drinking more water has a few advantages. We sweat less, and stink less. Seriously...
@owlwings (39768)
• Cambridge, England
@vandana7 I think that drinking more water doesn't have much effect on how much we sweat. That is controlled by how much the body needs to be cooled, I believe. If we are in a dry climate we notice sweating less because it evaporates quickly but in a humid climate we notice it more. What nobody has mentioned here (I believe) is that drinking water is alll very well but we also need salts and, really, one should put a little salt in the water we drink, especially if we are in a warm climate, because the body excretes salt in sweat and can become salt-starved.
@vandana7 (67706)
@owlwings ... I noticed the effect on stink though Owl. Practically. We stink less when we drink more water...I am speaking from Indian context...there is distinct change in body odor.
I drink more than my share.
@garymarsh6 (14429)
You can have my share too!
@garymarsh6 Lol! Thanks!
@Shiva49 (14003)
During summer and hotter days I drink more. I drink whenever I am thirsty I try to avoid drinking couple of hours before I go to bed for obvious reasons. Thanks for reminding and the guidance through the chart - siva
@vandana7 (67706)
I feel I get more nightmares when I am thirsty so I make it a point to drink some before going to bed. lol
@Shiva49 (14003)
@vandana7 Normally I have enough of liquids. I listen to my body and respond and find comfort in the Goldilocks zone - siva
I drink a few but I also drink ice tea mixed with lemonade.
@BelleStar yes I drink Ice tea also.With or without.
@amadeo Without, otherwise just too many calories.
I have a huge glass that I fill with ice and water throughout the day so I'd say I easily get my 8 glasses in
@Marilynda.I no longer drink ice water.Warm water is much better for you.
@amadeo Or, room temperature.
I am a bad boy in drinking iced tea all day.
@JohnRoberts you do have water in your iced tea.
@amadeo Yeah, but the caffeine isn't good for you.
@Lucky15 (33698)
I have to drink half gal. ;)
@lucky15 you have to drink half a gallon?
I drink 5-8
@NJChicaa that is good.Good for you.It also help your complexion.
Since I take a medication that cause dry mouth, I drink water all day long, but not sure how many glasses that adds up to. I will say, a lot.
@Corbin5 yes,dry mouth can be tolerable there.
@Asylum (48224)
• Manchester, England
I rarely drink just water but usually consume liquids in the form of coffee. My intake must be at least a dozen cups per day.
@Asylum I must say water is better.But that is your take
i like water so i drink it all day long. not sure about how much but a lot.
@jstory07 you should be fine.
@Fleura (7197)
I do drink a few, I don't usually count. The chart is useful but bear in mind that gallons and pints are not the same size in the US as in the UK (in the UK a pint is 20 fl oz while in the US a pint is 16 fl oz; in both cases there are 8 pints to a gallon)
@PatZAnthony (13057)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
There are many factors to consider that are often left out of the conversation. Sedentary people need less, or course. We all need more when we are outside sweating up a storm! The best thing we have seen was the suggestion of 1/2 ounce of water per pound of weight. There is no 'one size fits all' when it comes to hydration. Older people often have kidney issues and more liquids will not solve this. Checking with a specialist when that is the case is often suggested.