My First YouTube Video

My wife and I at the very last moment decided to go ahead and run a test to see if we could create a YouTube video using her tablet. I know we could have put some time into this and made it a whole lot better, but it was only a test. We did no preparation, no script, no editing, in fact, two minutes prior to start the camera rolling, we didn't even know we were going to do it. I just wanted to quick glue up my spindle stock and then run off to work. My own criticisms are many and varied. The start is bad. I didn't know the camera was already rolling and I kind of pop up out of nowhere and start babbling. Comedy potential but not the way to start a how to/demonstration video. I didn't comb my hair or straighten my collar, the sun is too bright and it's making me squint and my wife's shadow is a constant. Next time we'll plan ahead and it will me a great deal better. So before I decide this is too embarrassing for public viewing here it is:
The video was made as a test and done really quick on the fly. No preparation was done, no script, no editing. We are hoping to put together a few woodworkin...
A small suggestion...use some editing software to increase the volume just a little. I'm not a woodworker (for some reason I hit 'e' first instead of 'o' but I am not a weedworker either, although...) but I have been thinking of using wood glue to try to deep clean a few albums I have (yes, this is actually a viable option used by many)
My youngest son uploaded movie making software to my laptop. Our next project will be a lot more involved and of great deal better quality. I never thought of using wood glue to clean albums but it makes sense to me.
@koopharper Yep, you just smear a coating on, let it dry, and then peel it off...I have a couple I keep meaning to try it on but keep forgetting to pick some up
@bunnybon7 (36548)
• Holiday, Florida
@koopharper he was right about the volume. it was a bit hard to hear or maybe you are just soft spoken?
• Preston, England
it looks fine though a kind of DIY I never do - The camera could be steadier though some Youtubes look as if the cameraman is being attacked by bees. There are some good Youtube editing softwares online for free
I thought my wife did a good job holding the tablet steady. Doing it with a purpose built piece of equipment is one thing but this was done with just a tablet. We'll examine it closely to see what we need to do to make it more "professional" but I think with the equipment we have we can be successful. Thanks for the input.
Sometimes you need to dive in and get started. Once you've done that, the next time isn't so bad. I think you did quite well - looks good to me anyway. :)
Through it I can see the potential for future use.
@acelawrites (11001)
You should make the audio louder, but for a beginner using a tablet, it is nice. Congrats!
We'll find a way to address that. Not too worried about it at this point. It was really only a test to see if we could do it.
The first time is always never perfect.
They're often even worse than this one was.
@koopharper true. Don't ask me about my first youtube video, even my second, and third
@toniganzon What about your fourth one?
That is pretty good video for your first test.
Thank you. Bigger and better the future.
• Midland, Michigan
So the picture for this post used two pieces of the wood that you glued together in the video/ Now, I can get a mental picture of what wood turning might be, if that's what you were talking about recently.
The picture with the post came from Pixabay because I didn't have one handy. The spinning wood in that picture though is exactly what the blank I glued up will look like on the machine. My technique is a bit different than the person in the picture.
@bunnybon7 (36548)
• Holiday, Florida
cool that was great. you done a great job of it. much better then any of mine.
I see so many problems with it. The next will be far better.
Nice of you to let us she this attempt! Congratulations for going ahead with it and for thinking about any improvements you would like to make.
I see it as being really rough but why not put it out there anyway. Hopefully when we do the next one the improvement will be evident.
I watched it because it was a test, but it's not a subject that interests me. However I can see the potential for you. Onwards and upwards.
I'm multi talented so I might do things other than woodworking how-tos.
@sugartoes (40782)
• Greencastle, Indiana
you didn't do as bad as I have seen people do not bad at all so now that you know you can do a video NOW your on a roll to make more & have fun doing it you got this in the bag
I think the potential is there. Be interesting to see what we can come up with.
I think it was good for a first test and with a little tweeking I think you'll have a winner for YouTube. It was interesting to watch even though I don't know a thing about wood working