When life hands you a can of milk, make ice cream

@Rollo1 (16689)
Boston, Massachusetts
A couple of years ago, I bought this little countertop ice cream machine. It's got a tub that has a core filled with something - a gel, maybe? - that freezes up and as the machine turns the tub, it magically turns your cream into ice cream. Soft serve, if you eat it right away, but who can wait? I don't have any cream and The Man has to limit that sort of thing now, so I haven't used the ice cream maker in a while. But I noticed that I had a can of low-fat evaporated milk. And so, I decided to see what would happen. A can of evaporated milk, 1/3 cup sugar, a little vanilla and some instant coffee dissolved in a 1/2 cup of 1% milk turned into a very tasty tub of coffee ice cream. It went down a treat on this hot and sticky day. It was low in fat and didn't cost much to make since I used canned evaporated milk. There are lots of ways to make ice cream at home if you don't have a churn, even if you don't have a machine. I have seen it done with hand mixers and even in plastic bags. Have you ever made ice cream? What method do you use?
Sounds pretty good and, we use evaporated milk, when we make snow ice cream also vanilla flavoring.
@Rollo1 (16689)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I have never made snow ice cream, but we usually get plenty of snow. I may try it.
@Rollo1 It's my favorite, you want to wait until the second snow of the year though.
@moffittjc (43074)
• Gainesville, Florida
Growing up, my parents had an ice cream machine, and once a week--usually on a Sunday--my parents would make homemade ice cream for all the family. My brother and I loved eating that ice cream, and we looked forward to it all week long!
Lovely memory!
@moffittjc (43074)
• Gainesville, Florida
@marlina It was a lovely memory, and I remember the ice cream tasting better than anything that could be purchased in a store!
It has been years since I made it. We did have an ice cream maker at the time.
Certainly sounds like a tasty treat and I like that you used the evaporated milk. I've never made ice cream but you have intrigued me as it seems so easy
• Israel
Never made homemade ice cream ... Sometimes I buy ice cream.
I prefer eating than making ice-creams.
@skysnap (17817)
I never used any machine to make ice cream. I just bought those ready to use packets and put them in fridge.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Go to Safeway. Walk to frozen section. Buy chocolate chip cookie dough. Eat.
I never have but when we were kids mom used to make sherbet in ice cube trays and it was delicious.
@rina110383 (24134)
I love eating ice cream especially my favorite one - pistachio but haven't tried making one.
i haven't in years, but have pondered this since I could make it low fat and with stevia
My mother had an awesome ice cream machine years ago. I remember an apricot icecream she made with the apricots of her apricot tree. Best icecream ever. Now I don´t eat much icecream. And I shouldn´t eat sugary food.
@mom210 (6761)
• Atlanta, Georgia
We have a little machine, I have not made any in a couple years but keep thinking about it. We need to whip it out
Smart of you! Never tried to make ice cream in all my "long" life.
@cahaya1983 (10053)
Yum! No I've never made ice cream myself. I got myself a new mixer recently - I guess that's a good reason to start making homemade ice cream!
I love ice cream, but have never made it. i'm glad that your improvised version turned out well.
Yes the very old fashioned way-- crushed rock salt surrounding a metal canister using a crank . . . evaporated milk should be banned IMHO but since you found a good use for it, I won't complain