History in the making

Zurich
@Inlemay (16982)
South Africa
Rio de Jenerio Olympic games has not been the easiest for our swimmers they seemed to be stuck in a Silver Stream but last night one of our great runners Wade van Niekerk made history when he took to the Athletic track and Broke the World Record in the 400m and breaking a long standing Michael Johnson's WR. 43:03 So at last the Silver Curse has been broken and we have One Gold . . . News headlines state: "South Africa's Wayde van Niekerk broke Michael Johnson's 17-year-old 400m world record to sensationally win Olympic gold at Rio 2016. The 24-year-old finished in 43.03 seconds, 0.15 quicker than the time Johnson clocked in Seville in 1999." "Usain has been such a huge rock, inspiring me as an athlete. He told me back in Jamaica that 'you will break the world record'. And he came to me after and said 'I told you you could do it'." In the Men's 100m sprint - Usain Bolt reigns supreme but we were delighted to see a South African 5th in that final only ".13 Seconds" behind the winner Brilliant energy at the Athletic Arena in Rio - We are watching this at Midnight till 3 am in the morning! I remember two years ago sitting in a ZURICH Athletic Arena waiting to see Usain Bolt run - Magic Moments! What have you found amazing while watching?
i watched him race'n the telly actually (shockin', i know, lol). 'twas so glad that he won, such a humble young man 'n his coach bein' there to see such first hand, what a blessin'.
@Inlemay (16982)
• South Africa
his coach which is a lady - got there of her own accord as the SA Athletic Union does not recognize her at all. Sad fact
@Inlemay pitiful 'n they ought to be 'shamed. i enjoyed watchin' the piece they did'n 'em both :)
@Platespinner (17062)
van Niekerk's run was amazing. I was watching and was in awe of the fact that he was in an outside lane and managed to maintain that illusory headstart all the way to the finish!
@Inlemay (16982)
• South Africa
he has become a local hero overnight
Oh it's all magical - I'm loving it. Congrats to your runner.
@Inlemay (16982)
• South Africa
I told my hubby that we can sleep when its all over . . .
@ison_1 (1241)
I'm bleary eyed today! hi Lany Yesterday 5 golds for team GB! Max Whitlock x 2 in gymnastics! Justin Rose golf, Jason Kenny cycling and Andy Murray in the tennis. We are second in the medal table! So proud of team GB :) It's all been stunning to watch, but I think that Van Niekerk run was just sensational. So pleased I stayed up to watch it live. (Sorry for the very very late (or early) message)
@Inlemay (16982)
• South Africa
its all good - I have been getting many of those of late with all the friends up North - The Games are really hitting a peak and we cannot keep our eyes open anymore either - daytimes are so slow-go
• Walnut Creek, California
I'm just glad that the athletes who were robbed were not hurt. Most amazing? The undignified response of an American soccer player to being eliminated by a team that outsmarted them.
@Inlemay (16982)
• South Africa
those are the stories behind the scene - so many things happen that mar any Big Sporting or other event - sadly this one is no exception
That was a exceptional run I saw it and, it was cool to see Usain Bolt acknowledge him, he seemed genuinely happy for him.
@Inlemay (16982)
• South Africa
that was a special moment
@Ujjawal29 (248)
• New Delhi, India
I didnt know a record was broken in 400m. Thanks a lot fir the information
• Uzbekistan
You were in Zurich to see Bolt run? Did you travel there especially for him?
@Inlemay (16982)
• South Africa
yes we did - it happened that on the day before we were leaving SA on 23 August to go to Belgium we heard that he would be running on the 28th August in Zurich, so I called my friends in Antwerp and they said that they would drive us down to Zurich via Luxembourg for a day, so that we could see him run at the Weltklasse Z├╝rich. We stayed over and then returned to Antwerp via the Black Forest region. It was the most expensive 4 day trip in my life - the tickets for the Athletics are not cheap for a South African - R2600, or $240 each.
• Uzbekistan
@Inlemay Did you at least have good seats and see him well?
@Inlemay (16982)
• South Africa
@MALUSE we had fabulous seats, and my hubby even got our SA flag signed by some athletes but not Usain. We saw many other famous athletes as well - it was brilliant. We were the only South African in the Stadium and found ourselves on the BIG Screen a few times when any SA Athlete ran. The flag caught the cameraman's eye all the time. My hubby went to the rail just like a kid. The people were so friendly and asked us questions all night long. Then there was a magnificent fireworks display before we all left and hubby and I strolled back to the hotel.
@dyno10 (347)
So proud to be Jamaican. Usain Bolt is something else.
@Inlemay (16982)
• South Africa
he is amazing and a marvel to watch
@vandana7 (67680)
Well, so many Indians, and so far not even a bronze...law of probability does not work for Indians, and that is what amazes me.
@Inlemay (16982)
• South Africa
I believe only the very lucky athletes in all sports get to ever see an Olympic games in their lifetime, those that get to see it more than once are very talented or have the force behind them.
@SophieY (848)
• South Africa
Some great sport was shown - I shall miss it now that it has ended
I saw him run that was amazing Usain bolt wow.
Unfortunately I have not seen much of it, but love what I did see.
some really tall american in fencing,not sure it was fair for everyone else this kid had massive reach
@LoriAMoore (4684)
The only part of the olympics that i've watched was a short bit of the sprinting heats the other day and I saw Usain Bolt run. He's fast.