Let There Be Peace on Earth

Portland, Connecticut
Is it just me or are things getting mean here on MyLot? This is a friendly site where you write something to get a discussion started. The idea is to interact, be friendly, make friends, be kind, get to know each other, not to be mean and critical. If you come across a post that makes no sense to you, then move on or report it. Don't get all mean with the writer. No one should ever feel like they are being attacked here. Has it happened to me? No, not in a long time but I am reading about it on other people's posts and I am seeing some comments on other's posts that are borderline mean. Funny, sarcastic, even inappropriate is fine but stop the critique. Most of us are adults and don't really appreciate unsolicited critical comments. If you have a helpful comment that will improve a user's experience, by all means share it but no one should be belittled or made to feel stupid because of their grammar, spelling or ideas. It just isn't right. It is time to nip this in the bud and get back to what makes this site unique and fun, friendly interaction. Nuff Said!! and as my mother always said " If you can't say something nice, don't say anything".
@akalinus (14612)
I just read a discussion where the writer blasted "you people" for an imagined infraction of how he thought things should be. He called the responders childish and ignorant among other things. Maybe he was just having a bad day, but it rubbed most of us the wrong way.
• Portland, Connecticut
I haven't seen that post but I saw another one where the poster had obviously been hurt by critical comments.
• Grand Junction, Colorado
I just ran across that discussion and left my 2 cents worth there!
• Portland, Connecticut
@beaniefanatic13 II read your comment and you stated it all very well. Honestly I reported two of his comments to people, name calling is not allowed here.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
I have also read the post about this and feel the very same way, if you dislike a post then just leave it alone.
• Portland, Connecticut
Yes, it is disturbing that people are feeling that they can criticise another member. It needs to stop.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
@BelleStarr This type of harassment is unacceptable on any social site and needs to be reported.
• Portland, Connecticut
@Asylum I did just report two comments that had name calling in them and are way beyond what is acceptable.
@sugartoes (39276)
• Greencastle, Indiana
AMEN I'm with you on all this that's a what this site is SUPPOSE to be is helping one another be kind to each other & looking out for one another other wise there's no point ion being here.
• Portland, Connecticut
Yes but some members have appointed themselves the judges of what is acceptable and it has gotten ugly. It needs to stop right now before it spreads Amen for sure.
@Micmac (7701)
@BelleStarr That's right. Members should be considerate to others. It's not constructive to criticize writers or lecture them on how to write. Someone did that to me. I don't appreciate their rudeness.
• Portland, Connecticut
@Micmac No one would appreciate being condescended to. It is rude!!
@CinnamonGrl (5740)
• Paradise, California
Sadly it seems there is no social site without some people being mean to others. I'm trying to just avoid those folks.And to avoid topics that have the potential to create meanness in me as well. I have always agreed with not chiding the writer. If they are new, I will explain why the post will likely be deleted.That kind of thing. But yeh I've seen people dressing each other down, it's a shame. I don't like the attacks either.
• Portland, Connecticut
It has been escalating lately and I don't know if it is because the site is growing but it is not a good trend.
• Paradise, California
@BelleStarr No, it isn't for sure.
I totally agree. Mylot should be a fun place to spend time.
• Portland, Connecticut
It should be and no one should come on here and be made to feel bad.
@akalinus (14612)
Absolutely. There are many discussions here. People can stay away from discussions that they don't like because there are plenty of other places to comment.
@Hate2Iron (7663)
I guess that I have been one of the lucky ones. I haven't met anyone mean yet!!
• Portland, Connecticut
May it stay that way forever!! But unfortunately some people have decided they are the arbitrators of what is a good post and what is not.
@akalinus (14612)
@BelleStarr They are all over the internet. You can't escape unless you give up technology.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Nor have I!
• Eugene, Oregon
I have run across little of that on this site, but hope that it does not become common.
• Portland, Connecticut
I think it needs to be nipped in the bud before it spreads.
@Genipher (5166)
@BelleStarr Like a disease!
• Portland, Connecticut
@Genipher Exactly.
There are some people here, who all they ever post about is to complain about others and, if it's not that it's sarcastic posts, but I mostly just ignore them, as if they don't exist.
• Portland, Connecticut
Yes I try to keep away from any drama if it is possible.
@tzwrites (4617)
Ignoring them is the best solution in my opinion.
@sol_cee (14333)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
Well some people here have their nose high up in the air.
• Portland, Connecticut
Yes I think many of us have felt that.
@Genipher (5166)
It's not my fault I was born with a ski-sloped nose! *sniffsniff* Are you mocking my looks, @sol_cee? I'm just...so hurt by this comment.
@sol_cee (14333)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
@Genipher humble brag. lol
@hereandthere (28902)
i stay away for a while when i get disappointed at what i see here.
• Portland, Connecticut
I am sorry that you feel you have to stay away, you should never have to do that.
@BelleStarr that's why i'm okay with my slow earnings here.
@VidaVida (133)
• Jakarta, Indonesia
@hereandthere take it easy pal... Different people, different motives..
I have not had problems here, ever. But I have this one lady that had a blog on the same site I write for that is also a friend on facebook, she will message me and tell me HOW to space things properly, or that I misspelled a word, like its her business or that she is the sites owner. I do not want to be mean but I wished she would back off!
• Portland, Connecticut
lol I didn't mean to do it!! lol I always apologize if I point out a spelling error and so it on a comment that can be deleted.
@BelleStarr LOL, well at least she does it privately but it still irks me, usually its a typo , like form and I intended to type from, nothing major that spell check would even detect.
Thankfully I haven't run across anything like that and if I should happen to I would move on, it isn't worth worrying about although we can report comments if they are offensive. I haven't seen one that offends as yet, maybe I'm lucky I haven't.
• Portland, Connecticut
I am seeing them on other people's posts and it is surprising which members feel like they can make them.
I rarely read other peoples comments unless it involves those limericks you guys like to make @BelleStarr too bad more people can't just keep it light and friendly.
My parents always said the same thing. If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all".
• Portland, Connecticut
If only some members would take that advice to heart, things would be a lot more friendly around here.
@BelleStarr I haven't seen it, just heard about it.
Mom used to say the same thing to me. Some here must not have had that wise advice given to them. A shame.
• Portland, Connecticut
Or they didn't listen. lol Moms are pretty smart that way.
Okay.I am not going to say anything
• Portland, Connecticut
lol Your comments are always kinds and thoughful and welcome lol
@acelawrites (10933)
It's a good advise; to ignore it if you do not like the post; that way, no one would be hurt; to make this place a really friendly one.
• Portland, Connecticut
we are all equal on this site and we should be friendly.
• New Delhi, India
Somehow you are right but person like @DaddyEvil & @vandana7 can help us though in improving our grammar and spelling mistakes
@vandana7 (62432)
Count me out kiddo...I am here to learn not to teach..lol
• New Delhi, India
@vandana7 you are a teacher accept it or not quote byy @DaddyEvil
@vandana7 (62432)
@ModernDayWriter . About an year ago, DE used to be very good in English. His bad days started. I started following him. Now he tries to convey everything in my proprietary English as I can't always understand English as the native English speakers use. Effectively, he is learning my English but I have stopped learning their English. Did you understand?
Funny - that's what my mother used to say too. I've not come across any meanness Isabelle, and I hope I don't.
• Portland, Connecticut
Oh there was some very mean things said today, someone called ignorant for starters, not me but another member. I saw the comment myself.
@BelleStarr I went and hunted it out after I read some of the responses here, and you are right - it was quite nasty and completely unnecessary.
• Portland, Connecticut
@jaboUK I think that member needs to be spoken to by admin. This can't be allowed to flourish.
Thankfully I haven't come across any of this although I've seen various comments and posts about it. This is a great site overall and we really don't want any nastiness spoiling it.
• Portland, Connecticut
I hope that admin will take some action, this member needs to understand that this will not be tolerated.
@BelleStarr Hopefully he will get reported if he hasn't been already.
• Portland, Connecticut
@JudyEv I did report the specific comments.
@Genipher (5166)
I believe correcting grammar and spelling is against the rules here...
• Portland, Connecticut
This particular case was way beyond that it was name calling. Members here help each other with their English and that is usually appreciated.
@Genipher (5166)
@BelleStarr Oh. I thought you mentioned someone getting harassed for their spelling and grammar. Even without the name-calling, it's against the rules.