At our bird-bath yesterday

Bunbury, Australia
From my spot in front of the computer I look out to a bird bath and sometimes have the opportunity to take photos of the various birds that come to drink and/or bathe. There is always great excitement if a newcomer appears and I thought I had another one when I took this shot. But judging by my bird book it is a western rosella which I've written about quite recently. If you click on 'western rosella' in the green block above this text you'll be able to click on the other post to see the bird in much brighter colouring. Australia has a large range of rosellas and parrots. Many of the differences are very subtle. We have a friend who is a bird freak but he is away at the moment so I can't call on his services. The western rosella is confined to south-west Western Australia. Its fancy name is Platycercus icterotis and it grows to 25-30cm (9-11 inches). There are two forms and the green-backed one frequents wetter areas. This little chap spent some time quietly feeding round the bottom of the bird bath then something scared him and away he went. My latest idea is to place a feeding table near the bird bath. Hopefully the birds will stay longer and I'll be able to get better photos.
What a beautiful looking bird it is. Very colorful. It would be great to see one in person.
@MattMeng (3312)
• Hangzhou, China
Yes, it is rarely found in China.
We have some very pretty parrots.
@MattMeng I haven't heard of it being found in other countries.
@Inlemay (17276)
• South Africa
Do they eat fruit? fruit might be scarce in the area and therefore they are looking for food anywhere
@MattMeng (3312)
• Hangzhou, China
Some birds eat insects.
They do eat fruit and the orchards are all in blossom at the moment.
@MattMeng These might eat some insects but their beaks are more adapted for nuts and seeds.
What a pretty bird with all those colors! We have some parrot descendants in our neighborhood from a bird amusement park that used to exist nearby way back when . . . they were freed when the park closed down. But none as colorful as this fellow!
It's pretty irresponsible to just let birds go free like that. People do that will all sorts of pets that they decide they don't want any more - things likes snakes and alligators. It is stupid behaviour.
@JudyEv This was probably nearly 40 years ago that they closed . . . so you can imagine the packs of birds generations that exist today. I don't think this was the best place to just let them go either, but apparently they are thriving somehow.
@much2say It is very irresponsible behaviour.
@shshiju (9044)
• Cochin, India
It is very happy to see a beautiful bird in bathing.
@MattMeng (3312)
• Hangzhou, China
Exactly.
I love watching them. They really seem to enjoy their bath.
@shshiju (9044)
• Cochin, India
@JudyEv It is their swimming pool. Lol
@5thHouse (1704)
• Sheffield, England
That's a very pretty bird. We don't get many birds in my garden. I think it must be because there are so many cats in the area
@MattMeng (3312)
• Hangzhou, China
Cats want to eat birds very much.
@MattMeng That is why we don't have a cat any more.
@MattMeng (3312)
• Hangzhou, China
@JudyEv That would safe for birds.
@Plethos (4848)
right now they are on migration routes, great time to take bird photos ! do the feeding table, im sure they could use the rest stop.
These don't migrate in the strict sense of the word. They would have a region that they stick to.
@MattMeng (3312)
• Hangzhou, China
They are not migrate birds, because they are too little to fly over the ocean.
@Plethos (4848)
@MattMeng - they dont have to cross oceans to migrate. sparrows are tiny and are almost everywhere, same for crows. i also didnt see you live in australia, so im guessing they are a native bird and maybe they just go from one part of the island to the other.
@epiffanie (8351)
I love watching birds diving in and out of our birdbaths in the garden .. so nice to watch ..
The little ones have a wonderful time in ours. Sometimes they queue for their turn.
@MattMeng (3312)
• Hangzhou, China
Yes, they just like Angel.
@epiffanie (8351)
@MattMeng like angels? .. you mean because of their wings?
I love those colors! It looks like he was painted!
He is not as bright as some but still very handsome.
@MattMeng (3312)
• Hangzhou, China
Exactly, it is.
@MattMeng (3312)
• Hangzhou, China
Such a beautiful bird.
He is pretty, isn't he?
@MattMeng (3312)
• Hangzhou, China
@JudyEv Yes, rather pretty.
@acelawrites (10386)
You have lots of beautiful birds in your country. You are doing good in putting some water for their drinks or bath.
I guess every country has their own lovely birds and plants. We don't have macaws here unless maybe they are up in Queensland in the tropical areas.
I thought the photo turned out great. And I learned something new!
Thanks. He's not nearly as bright as the photo we took a couple of weeks ago but he's still nice.
This is cute. I have put a feeding table near the bird bath. In the morning there are as many as 30 different birds coming to eat, to drink and to bath. In the afternoon I clean up.
This is out on the dirt so cleaning up shouldn't be too hard although I guess you're meaning clean up the husks and left-over food. That is a lot of different birds. Do you take photos of them?
@JudyEv Yes, I clean up the husks, they scatter the empty shells of the seeds everywhere. I have to place the camera to get photos, the feeders are too close to my windows, they are scared if I try to take a photo. I took a photo of the dove last morning while she was waiting on the metal wires of our car port.
@LadyDuck Birds are very quick to react to any movement but you have a lovely photo there of the dove.
how colorful! yepperz, a feedin' station nearby'd no doubt seal the deal :) i must confess to havin' better luck with bird photos'n past years. this year aint been so great, lol.
If they were sitting there feeding I'd have a better chance with photos. They don't stay long at the bath - except the robins which like to soak their feet.
@JudyEv i hear ya, ms. judy. i've lots 'f pics 'f the diff'rent birds hangin' out by the pond, bathin' 'n those waitin' their turn. hard to get a good focus'n 'em to get great pics 'f such. ugh, 'n i jest scared a tanager off the waterfall whilst sneakin' to snap a shot.... dang 't, lol.
@crazyhorseladycx It's the focus that is the problem. If you zoom in there is the problem of camera shake. Do you remember Sheila Wilson (Naturelover) on Bubblews? I think on her blog she says she sets up the camera on a tripod focused on the bird table then basically sits and waits. I could probably do that from inside our office.
I have pondered putting out a feeder, would love to be able to sit and watch the birdies
It can be something really simple. The base of a pot plant sitting on an upturned bucket would be okay for starters but maybe not if there are too many cats around.
@JudyEv no cats, but a fierce puppy, so things would need hung lol
@Jessicalynnt I know many in America have hanging feeders. I forgot about them in my first comment. I have a fancy hanging one but the birds never seem to go near it. I'm thinking my table is a better idea here.
What kind of flora do these birdies eat ? and thanks for sharing the wild fowl in your neck of the woods @JudyEv
These eat grass-seeds and nuts. It's nice that our common birds are interesting to others. :)
@JudyEv well I have never been to Australia and through your posts I can visit free of charge ! The birds seem to eat the same food sources here too but we just have sparrows, wrens, blue jays, wildturkey, sand pipers, cranes, herrons and seagulls
@enlightenedpsych2 It surprises that even with our little wrens, there are 39 varieties. Of course, with some there are only very tiny differences. The main groups are fairy wrens, scrub wrens, emu wrens and grass wrens. I think you would find the same with your groups of birds.
@simone10 (22271)
• Louisville, Kentucky
The first thing I thought was a parrot. How cool that you have wild birds like that. The only way I can see a parrot would be in a pet store.
I don't know if there is a difference between rosellas and parrots. I seem to remember reading once that rosellas have the patterned feathers on the back. We are lucky here to see so many different varieties.
@simone10 (22271)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@JudyEv You really are lucky! If I were to come there, I could probably sit outside for a week and see so many different birds as well as other wildlife.
@simone10 We have our fair share that's for sure.
@Ronrybs (7077)
• London, England
What I find fascinating is the number of birds from foreign parts that are making a go of it over here. Can't say I've spotted any Rosellas
It is a shame really as they often oust the little native birds. Even in West Australia we have introduced species from the Eastern States that have created their own havoc. The kookaburra is one.
@Ronrybs (7077)
• London, England
@JudyEv I guess it is the lack of predators that allows these new arrivals to flourish
@Ronrybs Yes, that's true.
@moffittjc (32760)
• Gainesville, Florida
I like that you have such colorful birds in Australia! I wish we had more colorful birds here (well, ones that live in the wild anyway). I guess I can't complain too much, we do have pink flamingos! lol
I always thought flamingos were African for some reason. Your neighbour has a macaw doesn't he? I know they're South American but are there any wild where you are?
@moffittjc (32760)
• Gainesville, Florida
@JudyEv I don't know where flamingos are native to, but we have them in Florida (although their population has dwindled quite a bit due to habitat loss). Yes, my neighbor has a macaw. There aren't any wild ones in Florida that I know of, unless somebody's pet birds escaped or were released into the wild and have successfully started breeding.
That's a very cool bird. I want to get a bird bath.
It's great to watch the birds come in to drink and have a bath. One little robin comes about the same time every afternoon. I'm sure it's the same bird each time.
@MattMeng (3312)
• Hangzhou, China
@JudyEv Bird would come to see the people he loved.
@PurnaSharma (1771)
I like watching bird bath,specially when they shake their body to get off water and their body seems as in vibrate mode.
They fluff themselves up and look really tough - well, some of them do anyway. I've added a photo of our robin all wet. The robins stay in the water for a little while but a lot just pop in and out.