Do you have fire extinguisher in your house?

@thelme55 (14014)
Germany
Almost 2 hours ago, we had fire in the neighbourhood. I was blogging when I smelt something burnt. It smelt like a smoke. I immediately went to the kitchen to check if something was burning. There was nothing. I didn't smell anything. I went at the back of the house thinking that my brother has burnt something. Not a smell of smoke. I called my father and my cousin if they had smelt something burning. We then all run to the front window and there we smelt the burning of something plastic. Fire! Fire! Fire! I went down immediately checking what was going on. My brother was already out of our gate. My cousin in front of the gate. What did I do? I went to the faucet which has a long hose and started watering the wall of our front house. "What are you doing?" asked my father. "Watering the facade of our house to secure from fire", said I. "It's still far," said my father. "I know, I just want to prepare," . Then I heard fire truck siren and I put off the water hose and went outside the gate into the street bringing my tablet with me. I mingled with the people and watched the fire. It was behind the house in front of our house, across the street. I was trembling taking the video. I posted this video in fb. The fire was put out and I can sleep calmly now. I was glad that there was a strong rain the whole night before this fire went on. I don't know yet what causes the fire. I will know that tomorrow from my sister-in-law who knows the neighbourhood. Thinking about the fire, I have thought of fire extinguisher. Do you have fire extiguisher at home. I don't have that here in my house in the Philippines. I have to buy it soon. Do you have fire extinguisher? I have taken 3 videos of the fire and only 1 photo. That is the photo above. It looks so dark because I forgot to put on the light in our gate. Good night as it is almost midnight here in my home country. Thanks God we are safe. Update: Sorry about the photo. I kept on changing it in the right position, but it didn't function.
Yes, I have a fire extinguisher in the kitchen and one in the garage, it's better to be prepared in case of accident.
@thelme55 (14014)
Yes @LadyDuck. We should be prepared just in case.
and accidents can happen @ladyduck so I am grateful for this 'reminder type' post from @thelme55 who probably without even knowing if her post would impact and have people look at their fire extinguishers, I discover mine is empty and useless, so a new one is due
@enlightenedpsych2 I write the expiry date on the calendar that I hang in the kitchen, so I do not forget. I think that for this kind of reminders written notes are still a lot better than smartphones and computers.
Thank God you are all safe and the fire didn't reach your house . I think our fire extinguisher is already expired and was always forgotten to be replaced .
@thelme55 (14014)
Yes, I am thankful about that too @SIMPLYD. So there´s an expiration of fire extinguisher? I did not know that. Thanks for the info. I wonder how much fire extinguisher costs in Philippines peso.
@thelme55 I think it,s nt exactly expiration but i think it evaporates when not used for a long time which is in a year's time . So that's why every year it has to be refilled .
@thelme55 (14014)
@SIMPLYD that would be expensive to buy every year. Do you know how much it costs?
So relieved to hear you all are safe. Yes, we have a fire extinguisher in our kitchen.
@thelme55 (14014)
That's good @Corbin5. Do you buy new every year? I heard fire extinguisher has an expiry date.
@thelme55 No, not every year. Off to check to see if it has expired. Thank you for that tip.
@thelme55 (14014)
@Corbin5 you are very welcome.
We do not have a fire extinguisher. There was a fire close by my old building where I lived every summer.
@thelme55 (14014)
I see @HanniHar. Where you not in panic when there was a fire close to your building? I would be.
@thelme55 It was scary but they finally got it out. Thanks for asking Thelma. That means a lot.
@sunrisefan (17121)
It's good that the firetrucks arrived on time to put out the fire.
@thelme55 (14014)
Yes, it was good @sunrisefan or else there were many houses burnt.
@sunrisefan (17121)
@thelme55 Good job, Ms. Thelma!
thank goodness y'all did've those rains 'r that fire could'a spread quickly. i hope nobody t'was injured from such. yes ma'am, i've several fire extinguishers'n my house, also 've 'em'n my auto's 'n the barns.
@thelme55 (14014)
Yes, it could have spread so fast if it was not raining before the fire. The owner of the burnt house lives now with relatives. At least nobody was hurt @crazyhorseladycx
@thelme55 i'm relieved that nobody t'was hurt, hon. i know that losin' one's belongin's 'n home though 'tis quite traumatic'n 'ts own.
Good for you to think quick on dousing the house front with moisture to repel the flames and as far as us having a fire extinguisher that is working, I am ashamed to admit ours is currently NOT working BUT will get a replacement before the end of this month . . . thanks for the reminder my friend as I checked it after reading your post and sure enough, empty and useless so a new extinguisher is in the works
@thelme55 (14014)
Thank you @enlightenedpsych2. You are welcome. I still have to buy fire extinguisher. I have not been out to the city to buy that. The heat of the sun makes me lazy here in going out.
Fire is very frightening, and you are right - we should be prepared. I don't have an extinguisher either.
@thelme55 (14014)
Yes, it is very frightening. @jaboUK
• Austin, Texas
Thank God you and your family are safe. We live in apartments. The owners are legally required to have fire extinguishers in every unit. Not that it would do me any good because I don't know how to work it! I am glad that we also have a smoke detector alarm. Because I do know how to run!
@thelme55 (14014)
Yes, I am thankful about that @cmoneyspinner. I don´t have a smoke detector either. I have to buy that, too. At least we know how to run
@acelawrites (10933)
Yes, I have to bend my head to the left to figure it out! ha ha ha! You were really so nervous that's why. But fire extinguishers have expiry dates too, I know it is just for a year, but it is really needed for such emergencies.
@thelme55 (14014)
Yes, I was so nervous @acelawrites. I was not able to recognise my voice in the video I have taken. Thanks for the info.
@Lucky15 (33427)
We don't have one ;(
@thelme55 (14014)
Same with us @Lucky15.
I live in a retirement center and we have fire extinguishers three on each floor and all our rooms have sprinkler system in case of a fire
@thelme55 (14014)
That is great @Hatley. Your retirement home is so prepared. Well done.
yes,do have one.Had one for years and change them frequently
@thelme55 (14014)
That is good @amadeo. Well done.
@Teep11 (6945)
You know there's so many without fire extinguishers. Do you have fire drills for your family. You know doing so is a good idea. Be blessed.
@thelme55 (14014)
No, I don't have fire drills @Teep11. How to do it? Thanks for the idea. God bless you, too.
That was a close call you did good watering your house.
@thelme55 (14014)
Yes, it was @sharon6345. I can't remember where I got the idea of watering the walls of the house. Maybe from too much reading.
Glad they put it out fast. No I do not have one but I do need one.
@thelme55 (14014)
I am glad too @andriaperry. We both need one.
@moffittjc (41198)
• Gainesville, Florida
I keep a fire extinguisher in my kitchen.
@BettyB (4221)
• Summerville, South Carolina
We have one but we need to get a second one.
@Inlemay (16490)
• South Africa
I do have one
• Fujian, China
There is a fire extinguisher at home is a Necessary.Otherwise, what to do if there's a fire!Every room is equipped with a fire extinguisher.And you should always check them.