Do you believe in the five second rule?

My photo: Cookie on the floor
Eugene, Oregon
That five seconds is the rule that says if you drop food on the floor and can pick it up within five seconds, it's okay to eat it. I may have eaten something that touched the floor in my house once or twice in my lifetime, but that is all. Now researchers at Rutgers University report a study that confirms what I have always thought. Food that falls on the floor can be can be contaminated with bacteria instantly (as in right now). Longer contact means more exposure, but any contamination is too much for me. How do you feel about the five second rule? Ever hear the saying "her floor is clean enough to eat off of?"
• Manitou Springs, Colorado
I'm a bit of a germaphobe, so no, once it hits the floor, I don't even consider it.
• Eugene, Oregon
Agreed, Scott.
good on you Scott...i agree..
OMG! me too! especially about my food.
@zarlamain (22801)
I have never eaten off of the floor before. However, I can understand little kids doing that when there's no adult supervision.
hahaha...love your comment Zarla....
@zarlamain (22801)
@cnwriter Thank you!
If something washable falls onto the floor in my house, like a strawberry, or a grape, or even a piece of apple, I will often wash it again, and still eat it, that's if the dog doesn't get to it first....LOL...
Even if I were hungry I would always remember feces is under everyone's shoes. Now you think you can't eat off a floor. can you sleep in a bed a dog laid in. Not me. You cant imagine what a dog tracks in and there are people letting that animal lick them in the mouth. Roll all in their bed. Now that is a study we should read about next. I can eat off my floor is I am here alone if I chose to.I soak my mop after every use. I remove my shoes as I enter. My floors stay mopped. I still don't eat off it though I sure wuld not mind.
• Eugene, Oregon
So true about the nasty stuff tracked in on shoes. I was never into sleeping with dogs or letting them "kiss" me either.
@ramapo17 (11935)
• Melbourne, Florida
I wouldn't eat off anyones floors either. I was raised that way and my kids are the same way.
@Inlemay (16340)
• South Africa
why not - depends on where it stays for that five seconds
• Eugene, Oregon
If it hits the floor it is gone for me.
@ramapo17 (11935)
• Melbourne, Florida
• Eugene, Oregon
@ramapo17 The only way to live, lol.
If I dropped something on my own floor I would probably eat it, but not from anywhere else.
Same here.
@ramapo17 (11935)
• Melbourne, Florida
@MALUSE Me too is I just washed the floor and no one else was home.
@cherriefic (3984)
• Baguio, Philippines
I guess it only applies when you are still a kid not when you are old enough to know.
• Eugene, Oregon
Yes, I suppose that is true.
oh dear i left my kid hood years ago but still do naughty things once in a while...much more often when I am writing my Poetry of Love....
I've heard that saying. For me, it would depend entirely on the floor.
Yukes, food that fall on the floor goes to the "compost bin".
yes I have heard both and know that they are so wrong as its contaminated the second it hits the floor and nomatter how'she scrubbed the floor its got bacteria ' on it .I would never eat something I have dropped not worth it
If it hits the floor it goes in the garbage. I gag just thinking of it.
I've been too much of a germ freak to eat anything off the floor, although I have heard that rule.
• Eugene, Oregon
I have always been that way too.
Just give it a blow and it's good as new.
• Eugene, Oregon
Oh no, not for me.
@DeborahDiane (11616)
• Laguna Woods, California
I sort of believe in the five second rule. It depends on the food, whether or not any dirt can be rinsed off easily, and how dirty the surface is where it falls ... certainly not in a public street, but maybe on my kitchen floor.
@RubyHawk (8447)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I don't think much of the rule. We know if food touches bacteria then it's on the food. It doesn't wait 5 seconds to jump on the food.
It depends on what it is. And I have heard that saying but I don't believe it for a minute. Haha
Well, have done the 5-second rule on my kitchen floor on occasion, but not elsewhere. May rethink my floor.
No five second rule for me. If it hits the floor, it's in the garbage!
@blitzfrick (1793)
My mother (along with my help) insisted on keeping her house sp!c and span, but we still had roaches, living on the Texas gulf coast as we did. So back in those days I wouldn't eat anything off the floor, no matter how hygienic it may have been. Then I grew up, moved to the Northwest and did a lot of backpacking, mountain climbing and camping out. These activities are not for anyone who might be squeamish about dirt in their food. So these days I totally disregard any university findings and will pick up any dry food that happens to fall on my not-so-clean floor. Wet food is another matter, since it tends to pick up not only bits of grit, but also any stray hair that has fallen on the floor. Yuk!
• Eugene, Oregon
You are far braver about that than I.
@JamesHxstatic I'm not a germaphobe, for sure. In fact, I think the more germs I'm exposed to, the stronger my immune system becomes. However, I tend to avoid doctor's offices and hospitals. I generally go to the mall or ride the MAX for my innoculations.
• Eugene, Oregon
@blitzfrick I do know that hospitals are dangerous places for germs.
I think this is the way we build up our immunity, tiny little bits of bacteria introduced over our lifetime.
Right you are.
@MALUSE It's why kids do better when dishes are washed by hand and not in the dishwasher.
If it touches the floor, in the garbage it goes.
• Eugene, Oregon
Absolutely!