Writing for the sake of writing

By Gina
@Gina145 (4004)
Johannesburg, South Africa
The structure of sites like Bubblews encouraged writers to publish as much as possible without too much concern for the quality of their content. I'm embarrassed to confess that, while at Bubblews, I once challenged myself to write 10 posts in a single day. While I managed to pull it off that day, there were certainly some junk posts among my ten. I never tried it again. I recently joined Niume and initially time constraints meant that I wrote... NOTHING. When I finally wrote my first post during an interrupted night's sleep, I came to the sudden realisation that my writing goal going forward should be about quality, not quantity. If I've got nothing worth saying I shouldn't feel compelled to write just for the little income a junk post will generate. Do you write for the sake of writing or do you write because you have something to say?
@Mike197602 (13363)
• Worcester, England
On mylot (the only writing type/earning site I use) I only make my own discussion when I feel like it. I've got over 20 discussion subjects written down so will be stopping my in the moment posts and concentrating on those subjects as I think they're a little better and I've not seen similar topics as yet. Loads of people did the same at bubblews as it was a cash cow for a while and people milked it
@Gina145 (4004)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@Mike197602 I very rarely start my own discussions at myLot because I don't often have ideas I think worth discussing. I hate the fact that I did the ten post challenge at Bubblews, but thankfully I only did it once. I'm sure I could have earned a lot more there if I'd done it more often though.
@bagarad (11470)
• Paso Robles, California
@Gina145 I've been doing that.
@Gina145 (4004)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@bagarad You're a lot better organised than I am, but it's time I did something about that. Now I just need to work out what I want to do with them.
Good luck on your writing. I love how everyone has their own way of doing things. It seems to work great that way. I love to write for both reasons at different times. It's cool.
@Gina145 (4004)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
Thanks @sharon6345 . We all have to do what makes us feel comfortable.
@Shiva49 (12083)
I have about 700 posts over six years at various sites. I have put in my best every time, so believe in quality - siva
@Gina145 (4004)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@Shiva49 700 posts in six years is good, but certainly not excessive. I'm sure that writing quality will pay off in the end.
@Shiva49 (12083)
@Gina145 Thanks I love the interaction more and post when I have something to share about my thinking, experiences. However, I want to get some returns as nothing is a real dampener! siva
@Gina145 (4004)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@Shiva49 The only thing worse than getting nothing is joining a site that offers high rates and then refuses to pay. That's why I'm so careful about which sites I join now.
@dodo19 (31998)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
I tend to write a post when I have something to write about. I try not to force it. If I don't have anything to say, then I don't write.
@Gina145 (4004)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@dodo19 Great to hear that. One of the good things about myLot is that the site rewards any participation including commenting, so members aren't forced to submit any crazy idea they can think of in order to earn a bit extra.
@dodo19 (31998)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@Gina145 very true. It's certainly one of the many good things about my lot.
I love to write, BUT I try to make sure it means something, a hard journey or something awesome to cook, with instructions or that photo that I think is awesome and I share that and where it was and what time of the year. No I can chat here and on Face, I write to say something.
@Gina145 (4004)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@andriaperry I've seen enough of your writing to know that you would never write junk. And thanks for mentioning Niume. I think I'm going to enjoy that site.
When I started at Bubb I wrote ten a day - but once I had a following and got lots of views I cut down to 2 or a day - and I din't skimp on good work either. I don't believe in doing something half-way. There was a period of tine, about 4 straight months, I was cashing in $50 every other day or at least every third day.
@Gina145 (4004)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@AbbyGreenhill I wish I'd been able to cash out that often but I suffer badly from writer's block. Many days I didn't post at all. I really admire you for being able to write ten quality posts per day, even if you only did it for a short time.
@Gina145 The thing is, I only 'though' I had to do ten, it wasn't necessary - more really is less.
@Gina145 (4004)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@AbbyGreenhill I agree. By the time I reached my tenth post on the day I did it, traffic had slowed right down.
I always use the platform available at a writing site to help educate, enlighten, entertain or simply offer an opinion on something written in my own words for readers to enjoy, or not
@Gina145 (4004)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@enlightenedpsych2 That's as it should be. Nobody is ever going to please everyone who reads their work, but as long as you're happy with what you're offering then you're doing fine. My problem with writing ten in one day was that I didn't even like all my own posts.
@Gina145 ah you are being your own worst critic, sign of am influential creative spirit for sure
The easiest way for me to write anything is when I have something to say. Writing just to write is rather boring for writers, in my opinion. I most likely have written some junk too.
@Gina145 (4004)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@Corbin5 I'm sure we all have. But it's one thing to write something that turns out to be junk and something quite different to deliberately write junk to meet a daily quota.
@5thHouse (1693)
• Sheffield, England
I agree about quality over quantity. I never managed to do the 10 posts a day on Bubblews but I know a lot of people did.
@Gina145 (4004)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@5thHouse I wish I'd never bothered to try it. Despite the fact that my posts weren't all good, I felt it used a lot of my time for little reward, and I really hate the fact that I wrote a few junk posts that day.
• Eugene, Oregon
I like to write and things to say (some better than others, naturally) seem to occur to me on a pretty much daily basis. I think the most I ever wrote on that other site was three in a day.
@Gina145 (4004)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@JamesHxstatic It's fine to write daily if you have something that you want to say. I often struggle for ideas though, so there were many days when I wrote nothing. I could comfortably write three on a good day though, but ten was just crazy.
@hereandthere (28908)
i think at the end of the day it depends on the site, what they will allow and not allow. but,yes, sometimes, i think about being someone who just expresses, regardless of reception.
@Gina145 (4004)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@hereandthere For me what the site allows doesn't really come into it. I don't like to write meaningless things like "this is my tenth post of the day" but some people often did it.
@irishidid (8521)
I wrote stories on Bubblews and had a following of readers. Here, I can't do that, unfortunately.
@Gina145 (4004)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@irishidid That sounds good. It's sad that you can't do it here, but there are other sites you can try, or even your own blog.
@irishidid (8521)
@Gina145 Nah, I just write them and publish in a book.
@ms1864 (6995)
• Bangalore, India
why can't you do it here? i would love to read stories. we could even discuss them if you'd like.
@innertalks (3820)
When I started writing more than ten years ago I wrote because I thought that I had something new to say, fresh ideas of my own about things I wanted to share with the world. I have written over 3000 articles on various sites over 12 years, and to tell you the truth I still like to write at times, but I am about all written out. I seem to have nothing much that is new now inside me to come out anymore. I have lost some of my incentive to write.
@Gina145 (4004)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@innertalks 3000 articles is a lot, so I'm not surprised you feel written out right now. I'm sure new ideas will come to you eventually. Maybe interacting here will provide some inspiration too.
@Gina145 Yes, responding to posts of others can be stimulating, when we put our own opinions/ideas out there to share with others. I think we learn the most when we are open to reading varied views and ideas about things.
@Gina145 (4004)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@innertalks That's true. I wish I had time to do more of it. Maybe I'd get more ideas of my own then.
@Morleyhunt (19540)
Sometimes I write a junk post, just to let people know I'm still here.
@Gina145 (4004)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@Morleyhunt Sometimes is fine. It's when people write ten junk posts a day that it becomes a problem.
@Morleyhunt (19540)
@Gina145 when I look at the new discussions list, I rarely read one by the person whose name keeps repeating. I have better things to do with my time.
@Gina145 (4004)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@Morleyhunt I look at the topics to see whether they sound interesting, but I find that the people whose names repeat really frequently rarely have anything much to say.
@meowch (1057)
I've joined a writing website for quite sometime but I never posted anything yet. If I want to publish an article it's because I have something important to say. I'm more of a quality than quantity.
@Gina145 (4004)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@meowch I hope you find something important to say soon, because publishing articles and seeing what others have to say is a lot of fun. But interacting on other people's articles is fun too.
@meowch (1057)
@Gina145 you are definitely right. I might as well publish my article tonight.
@Inlemay (16490)
• South Africa
I write about my interests but have never tried that bubblews 10 posts a day ever again either
@Gina145 (4004)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@Inlemay Glad to hear it I know you only write about interesting things.
@ms1864 (6995)
• Bangalore, India
Since i have joined mylot i have tried to write about things i find fun or interesting....i don't feel like writing about my everyday events...it will become quite boring for me. So i am with you on this one, quality over quantity.
@Gina145 (4004)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@ms1864 Sometimes everyday events can be interesting, but certainly not when one discusses everything one did in a day.
@bagarad (11470)
• Paso Robles, California
I try to have something to write or share (if a photo) that would interest me if someone else wrote it. I tend to relax a bit on Niume, but I still want to post quality. Quality posts get more hype, become more visible, and in the end get more views, I think.
@Gina145 (4004)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@bagarad You may relax a bit at Niume, but you don't post junk. It's definitely best to only share things we'd like if we didn't write them ourselves. That's a great approach.
@bagarad (11470)
• Paso Robles, California
@Gina145 What worries me is the many unattributed photos I see there with only a general link back to a source site that may also be the source of the text. I refuse to hype such posts, even if they may be featured. I stick with following people I know or am convinced are posting only their own work or giving proper credit for images.
@Gina145 (4004)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@bagarad I really haven't spent much time there yet but I was interested to see that some posts link to content elsewhere. It makes me wonder whether Niume would be a suitable place to promote my blog. I really don't want to break any rules and I'm still confused by what's allowed there. Unattributed photos are a concern on most sites, which is why I prefer sites where using photos is optional. I don't like being forced to use other people's photos if I don't have a suitable one that I took myself, but on some sites I'm forced to do it. I was very nervous about getting the attribution right on my first Niume post.
@Bluedoll (17074)
I see this question from two different perspectives. 1) writing in general 2) writing to a site like Bubblews I found that I was influenced by many posts on Bubblews that were trying to influence other members to write better posts with more quality. I tried that and found I got less rewards than those that could "network" themselves. Many could do it successfully without much quality. In the end after all my effort I got paid nothing, zip, zero.
@Gina145 (4004)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@Bluedoll For the most part while I was at Bubblews I only wrote what I wanted to write. It didn't please everyone and a lot of people earned much more than I did. Then again in the end a lot of them were cheated out of a lot more money than I was too. I'm sorry you never got paid.
@Bluedoll (17074)
@Gina145 I didn't get paid at the very end. Otherwise, it is yes write what we want. I agree.
@Gina145 (4004)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@Bluedoll Oh, that's different then. I hope you didn't lose too much.
I was going to say I don't write for the sake of writing but I do try to find something to write about so I have something somewhat worthwhile to say. So maybe I am just writing for the sake of writing.
@Gina145 (4004)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@JudyEv That's not really what I meant. I meant the kind of junk some people wrote at Bubblews about what they had for breakfast, lunch or supper, or reports of every payment they received etc. If you're looking for something worthwhile to say that's fine.
@Gina145 I used to skip all the 'meal' posts (as a mark of protest, not that anyone ever knew about it) but you get paid for remarks so in the end I decided not to let it worry me.
@Gina145 (4004)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@JudyEv I've never had as much time for these sites as some people do, so I'm usually quite selective about what posts I read. That's why I never earned a fraction of what other people did at Bubblews, and why I don't get paid every month at myLot.