Is Your Child Safe?

@nanette64 (17098)
Fairfield, Texas
Lead contamination in the schools drinking water is being found in schools all across the country. Lead is a toxic metal and there is no safe level even though school districts are told that 20ppb (parts per billion) is acceptable. Many of the schools in Dallas, Texas showed 3x's that level and many of the schools are now ripping out water fountains and checking pipes for problems. Parents are scared to death and for good reason. Lead in the drinking water can cause: convulsions, neurological damage, organ failure, coma and death; particularly in children and the signs can be similar to the flu or gastrointestinal disease. If you have children, you may want to ask the school they attend whether or not the water supplies have been checked and how recently. This is not something to mess around with; especially when it is your child's health and welfare.
Corrosive water and lead copper zinc and other metals in tap water.
Had to look that up for our state of IL, and for some communities, things do not look good regarding lead in the water. It always seems that kids are often the last thing on the minds of school administrators and government agencies.
A group of environmental organizations is pushing for a law that requires elementary schools in Illinois to test for high levels of lead in drinking fountains, sinks and other water sources because they say school districts aren't likely to test without pr
@nanette64 (17098)
• Fairfield, Texas
It pisses me off that everybody is trying to pass the buck as to WHOM will pay for the testing @Corbin5 . Just get it done!!! We're talking about a serious issue that needs to be addressed NOW.
@nanette64 I think we are leading lives of too-quiet desperation and frustration. However, knowing you and me, in the slammer we would be thrown for trying to make a difference! Well, if we were nice and peaceful....naahhh, we are not built like that.
@nanette64 (17098)
• Fairfield, Texas
@Corbin5 Yep, I can just see we'd be stuck in isolation cells.
Not sure how often that they test these water fountain.Not only school.Health Cub,work out where they have them. At my club I am always cleaning the water fountain.Not saying that this is the answer.But no one seem to clean it.
@nanette64 (17098)
• Fairfield, Texas
And the lead can be in the pipe leading up to where it exits in the fountain @amadeo ; which is where you can't get at.
@vandana7 (62279)
My little friend is not keeping too well. His mother is very alert of course. But yes, he has one problem too many, mostly cough..cold, and fever..sometimes vomiting and diarrhea.
@nanette64 (17098)
• Fairfield, Texas
The mom definitely needs to have it checked out @vandana7 . I'm sure a blood test would be a good thing to do.
@vandana7 (62279)
@nanette64 .. I am getting a bit concerned about the kiddo.
@nanette64 (17098)
• Fairfield, Texas
@vandana7 I would be too; those symptoms don't sound good at all.
The city sends out a brochure every year with the latest statistics of the water in our homes and businesses. I drink bottled water. So I'm not taking any chances. I don't have any school age children or grandchildren.
@nanette64 (17098)
• Fairfield, Texas
It makes you wonder though if the statistics are accurate. A good example being Flint, Mi. Some companies say the water is from springs but is from the community water supply. We have a separate water company where I live (different from what's in town) and they send a report every year and you would be amazed at the ppb of this and ppb of that. I use a Britta filter @just4him .
@nanette64 So do I. As well as bottled water.
@hostessman (8858)
• Tucson, Arizona
@nanette64 thanks for the info, i will pass it on to my grand children and let them check on things
@nanette64 (17098)
• Fairfield, Texas
Good plan @hostessman because you just never know and it's better to be safe than sorry.
• Marion, Kansas
I am not sure about where my oldest grands go. My youngest are all being home schooled. The school where I work is a nearly new building.
@nanette64 (17098)
• Fairfield, Texas
Homeschooling is a good thing; at least you hopefully know what's in the water @GardenGerty . At least with the new building, the piping is new.
I will check on that when my baby starts schooling.As of now,I wat h out for the lead in toys.
@nanette64 (17098)
• Fairfield, Texas
Definitely. Especially any from China @Iam_jauntyjen .
@LoriAMoore (4851)
Oh gosh, dangers that we don't even think about are all around us, aren't they?
@nanette64 (17098)
• Fairfield, Texas
And you would think that schools would be more responsible in having that checked on a regular basis @LoriAMoore .
yes indeed parents must be proactive about this lead problem in schools