Struggling this time of year...

I haven't been around here much the past few days. I have been trying to keep up but it is hard to stay focused. My heart and thoughts are in other places. This time of year I really struggle. As much as I love Christmas and everything about it, it makes me feel sad. I miss my Dad, I miss my Mom and I miss all those wonderful family get togethers. Even when I moved I always travelled home for Christmas. I can say with pride that I never missed one single Christmas morning with my mom and dad in all their years. I was there every Christmas eve when Dad would hang his stocking before going to bed. I was there every Christmas morning when they opened their presents and when they were up early preparing Christmas dinner. When my children were little we packed up the car with all the presents and headed "home". They always had their Christmases with Grammie and Grampie. Santa always brought their presents there. That was their Christmases until they were older and we're on their own. We have so many memories of time we were together. Once the children got older I made the trip on my own. One year I didn't have a car and I didn't think I would be able to make it that year. Money was tight and I just couldn't see it happening. I was so upset. We always exchange Christmas cards at work. When I opened one of the cards from a coworker inside was a bus ticket home. I cried so hard and I will be forever grateful to her for that. I am crying now writing this. She made that Christmas happen for me. When Dad passed 16 years ago it was two months before Christmas. The first Christmas without him was difficult. Mom had a hard time that Christmas morning. We hugged and cried a lot that morning but we got through it. Mom spent her last Christmas in the hospital. I was at the hospital that morning bright and early. It stormed hard that year. We traveled through a blizzard to get there but I wasn't about to miss it and I am glad I didn't because it turned out to be her last Christmas. She passed away February 2013. I no longer have to travel for Christmas. We have started making new traditions but my heart is always with those times of Christmas past. So even though I struggle each year I know I will be okay and I will get through it because I have those beautiful memories to carry me through.
I'm crying now along with you, I'm so sorry that you lost them. I can feel and picture how beautiful Christmas was in your family. I hope to make memories like that each year for my children.
Thank you! You and your hubby are great parents to your children and they will have many memories to look back on when they get older.
You brought tears to my eyes reading your post. I have been feeling a bit nostalgic this weekend too and your post brought back so many memories of those Christmases past especially the ones I spent with my grandparents. Once I married Christmas became my holiday and everyone traveled to my house. Yesterday I wrote about my dad who has been gone now 35 years but this will be my first Christmas without my mom. Bittersweet On the bright side you are so lucky to have such treasured memories of all those Christmases. Many people aren't fortunate enough to have wonderful holidays to share with family.
This time of year it is hard to be without those we love but you are right we are blessed to have the beautiful memories of that times we shared with them.
@Happy2BeMe that's what I think about when my grandchildren are here and that I am passing on their future memories of holidays and great times they spend with me
@Marilynda1225 Yes that you are and they will treasure those memories for years to come.
You are right. You have so many beautiful memories of past Christmases. You are very lucky.
Yes I am.
@dodo19 (33316)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
I'm really sorry that it's so hard. I can only imagine how hard it must be. I feel sad just reading about it. My heart goes out to you, and I hope that you can still have a good Christmas.
Thank you. I will have a nice Christmas with my children and grandchildren.
@dodo19 (33316)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@Happy2BeMe Glad to hear it.
@dodo19 Thanks
Now that got me crying! God bless you! The memories you have of your Christmases with your parents are solid and are yours. Nobody can touch that those. Thank you for sharing them with us. Yes, time marches on and we make new traditions and make new memories, but nothing beats the ones we have of Christmas days gone by. Big hugs to you.
Thank you. I am blessed that I have so many beautiful memories which I will hold with me forever,
@moffittjc (44454)
• Gainesville, Florida
That brought tears to my eyes! This will be my first Christmas without my own dad (he passed away at the end of August), and my mom is in a nursing home suffering from dementia. I definitely understand what you are going through, and I've been feeling the same way as well as Christmas nears. I'm trying to remain strong since I have my own two kids to care for, but it's really been hard.
I am sorry about the passing of your Dad and what your mom and you are going through right now. It is so difficult to get through the holidays without our loved ones but we will because we have others who depend on us.
@moffittjc (44454)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Happy2BeMe That's a great attitude to have, and thank you for reminding me of that! I have two wonderful children that I have to stay strong for, because they are depending on me! I hope you are doing well and that you will find positive motivation to get you through the holidays as well!
@moffittjc Thank you. I have my children and grandchildren who will bring many smiles to me this holiday season. I am sure I will have my moments when I don't do so well but I will get through it making memories with my family.
I know what you mean. And you made me cry. Part of my tears were for your old Christmas, but most are for my own lost Christmas.
It is a difficult time of year for so many of us who have lost loved ones.
@Happy2BeMe I suppose that is in part why the Christmas party has to move to the new generationĀ“s homes.
@marguicha Yes I guess so.
Its really hard facing Christmas and thinking of beloved family members who are no longer with us. I will be feeling it this year. My father and sister passed this year.
Thank you. So sorry for the loss of your father and sister. My thoughts will be with you this holiday season.
@Happy2BeMe Thank you.
Beautifully written, very well done. You have many lovely memories.
Thank you. I am blessed!
• New Delhi, India
Stay strong...dear friend You made me cry...parents are always irreplaceable.. Hats off to all the lovely parents..
Thank you!
@hereandthere (32437)
what a great gift that bus ticket was.
It really was. I will never forget how I felt when I opened that card at work that morning!
@MarymargII (10384)
• Toronto, Ontario
That story brought a tear to my eye-as I remember those Christmases too! Me and my family always went to my mom's as my dad passed away when I was young- but now I make a family time just with my kids and grand child so that is wonderful too!
Yes it is nice to spend time with family over the holidays. I treasure the times that we get to spend together.
@MarymargII (10384)
• Toronto, Ontario
@Happy2BeMe Enjoy the Christmas-y days we have ahead- and make fun and loving traditions of your own. I am still trying to do that and it does make things so fun!
@MarymargII Yes it has only been a few Christmases without Mom so I am slowly learning to do that.
I missed a few and always regretted it, made it to last year, and am planning on making it this year. -hugs- glad you had what you had while you had it
Thank you. Glad that you are going to make it again this year.
@Happy2BeMe yep, esp since I just found out everyone else, ie sis and BIL, and Mom and dad are all skipping cmas eve, and not even showing up till late the next day, which I think is just disrespectful of gram
@Jessicalynnt That is being very disrespectful!!
Those are wonderful memories. I'm glad you had such a good relationship with your parents.
We were very close.
@Happy2BeMe That's wonderful. I don't know what it's like to have a close family relationship.
@just4him That is sad. I was blessed with such wonderful parents.
what a most kind 'n thoughtful gift from yer co-worker. i'm glad that'cha were able to spend that time with yer momma, hon. i lost my dad 5 days 'fore thanksgivin' back'n 2011, my mamaw the 8th 'f december the same year. such broke me, i dread this time 'f year.
I am sorry to hear that. It was have been difficult to lose the both of them so close together.
@Happy2BeMe t'was a most tryin' time. thanks fer the hugs, hon.
@crazyhorseladycx you are welcome
@simone10 (21648)
• Louisville, Kentucky
Your post is so touching and it's making me tear up a little. I can relate to how you feel. During Christmas, I really miss my Mom and stepfather a lot. They always made Christmas so special for us when we were kids. I always helped in the kitchen on Christmas Eve, preparing out Christmas dinner that we ate that night and had leftovers on Christmas day.
Those memories just make you smile. We have blessed to have wonderful memories of parents who made out holiday season so wonderful.
@simone10 (21648)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@Happy2BeMe Yes they are wonderful memories. They make us both sad and happy at the same time.
@simone10 Yes they do.
My dear I know your struggle and wish you the best possible My mom is having a hard time this year. I saw just how bad today when I went to visit. Christmas is at her house and trust me I am not in the mood for crying and stuff. So I might not go. I took her gifts today and will drop the rest off this week. I would like to hope that it gets easier for you but clearly I don't know how that is. My brother has been gone three months now. God bless you.
Your mom and your family have been in my thoughts. I know it has only been such a short time since your brother has been gone. I am glad everybody will be there with your mom. She will need it. Thank you.
@Happy2BeMe Your welcome. Have a good day.
@sharon6345 Thank you. You too!
@1creekgirl (11351)
What a beautiful story. My family is similar in that our kids and grandkids have never missed coming to our house for Christmas. Well, our granddaughter did go to her fiancee's house one year. But for 49 years, they've brought gifts and Santa and goodies. I thought that as the grandkids came along, the parents would want to have Christmas at home, but we're so thankful they still wanted to come here. One year Santa brought and assembled two bunk beds in our living room! He's brought all kinds of things over the years. One time he brought a baby late Christmas Eve! But that's for another post. I know you miss your parents terribly. I hope when my husband and I are gone that our kids will still spend Christmas together at one of their homes. Being together with family is the most cherished part of the holiday. You are very blessed to have such wonderful memories.
Thank you for your kind words of support. My parents wanted us to continue the tradition as a family but our family fell apart while mom was in the hospital on her last days. It is sad that things went that way. I am glad for you and your husband have your children and grandkids visiting every year for Christmas. That is the way the holidays should be.
@1creekgirl (11351)
@Happy2BeMe I'm sorry your family hasn't stayed close. You're in my prayers.
@1creekgirl Thank you Vicki. I appreciate that.
You will always have those memories and Christmass spend with your parents in your heart forever.
Yes I will and I am blessed to have them.
@Happy2BeMe You sure are blessed. Happy memories.
@jstory07 Thank you!
@fishtiger58 (30323)
• Momence, Illinois
It's so hard when those you love are gone. My dad passed 16 years ago and my mom 2 years after him. I don't like being an orphan and miss my parents greatly. I hope you can enjoy the memories you are making today.
It is tough when you lose both parents. You have that feeling of having nobody even though you have other family. It is an ache in your heart that never goes away. I am sorry you lost them both too.
@fishtiger58 (30323)
• Momence, Illinois
@Happy2BeMe No the ache surely never goes away. Thank you