Watch Your Words

Green Bay, Wisconsin
In the past several days I've noticed the comments made are lacking words making the sentence read something the person making the comment did not intend. Now I'm good at deciphering sentences even with missing words. However, if those sentences stand uncorrected what you write and what you meant to write could be completely different and change the whole meaning of your comment. Mostly I'm noticing this trend from people who are well versed in the English language, so this isn't a lack of understanding on the part of the person making the comment. I'm also wondering if the person is using shortcuts to his or her comments just as often happens in texting. For whatever reason it's happening, it's a good idea to read over your comment before you submit it and add in that missing word so your comment reads the way you intend.
so now you are going to correct our papers.LOl.We all are human.I make a lot of error and do not worry about it.Not perfect but doing my best at the age that I am in.I am sure most here do know when a person is talking about.
We all make mistakes but yes we do know what the other is saying even if there are errors or missing words.
@bunnybon7 (31596)
• Holiday, Florida
we do all make some mistakes. that is what the edit is for. plus some just push ahead for the bucks i think and don't reread
No, I'm not correcting any papers. I just thought I would point out that a forgotten word can change the whole meaning of what you impart.
When I'm myLotting from my phone, I sometimes get errors because of the auto correct. But if someone misspelled something or for whatever reason, it doesn't bug me as long as I understand the person. If it doesn't, I would ask politely what the person is trying to say so I could better understand them.
Misspelling doesn't bother me, it's the missing words that can change the whole meaning of what the person was saying. Yes, misspelling does bother me, but I let it go on the blog site.
@just4him Oh yes, if its big chunks of words or the answer can direct somewhere else would be frustrating. Do you ask the person to clarify?
@infatuatedbby Yes I do.
I have posted a comment and when I read it after it was posted it didn't make sense. I try to quickly edit what I have said and hope that it changes before many have read it.
I've done the same.
@bunnybon7 (31596)
• Holiday, Florida
yes and i think this is what val was trying to point out. we all need to edit at times and not just rush on.
@bunnybon7 Yes, that is what I'm trying to get across. Thank you.
@Plethos (4848)
i tend post before checking for anee miztaeks. my bad
I've not noticed that.
@Plethos (4848)
@just4him - its rare, i know. but it happens, im only human.
@Plethos We all are.
@bunnybon7 (31596)
• Holiday, Florida
i know. some seem to be rushing through just to make more money and all you need to do is edit your stuff when you read it. i think some are in a hurry and don't read over it. probably why i don't make as much on here cause i try and reread my things
@Bluedoll (16125)
its no t the only reason i fush jest for thee money nope there is anotter reaons
@bunnybon7 (31596)
• Holiday, Florida
@Bluedoll there is edit if you get to where you actually want to say something for others to understand. did you mean push?
@Bluedoll (16125)
Reason I rush. You wrote rush in your comment. My point was that we don't always need to express ourselves in the same way. And it might be up to the other to lend a hand or ask what the person is saying. In this case I was not pushing but demonstrating an idea?
sometimes if it is late, or I have a headache, I will do that. OR I get to thinking faster than I can type and I skip a word lol
I know the feeling. My brain is faster than my fingers and I have to re-read everything to make certain I didn't miss words.
@just4him yeah, I know I think way faster than I type, although most of the time that just means missed letters
@Jessicalynnt My typos can be horrendous! I watch as I type so I correct them right away, still I need to re-read everything so I know it makes sense and I didn't miss any words.
@Bluedoll (16125)
I do agree. The more we try to communicate well the better our communication will be. It would be great if everything we wrote was perfect but it is not. What I have found is that a simple "what did you mean?" or a verification "are you saying this?" is able to clear up a lot but people don't even bother. So who really is lacking?
I have pointed it out a few times lately, just for clarification. I'm not being picky, but there are times when the comment which was supposed to be positive, turned out negative instead.
@Bluedoll (16125)
So you are getting the opposite? I've found something sounding lousy but after asking find out what the person really meant. Sometimes the person is me. On the other hand I can understand how a coward might put in something rude but disguised. Is that what you got?
@Bluedoll No, I didn't get any rude comments, praise God, but ones that sounded like the person was wishing for something they weren't, as it turned out.
I am guilty of that. I type everything on my tablet and it has a way of changing words on me and I don't even notice it. Also it is not always easy to read the small screen even with glasses. I try to proofread everything but I do miss things. Sometimes I am only here a short time and try to comment on people's post and I do make mistakes.
@Bluedoll (16125)
It is a good habit to be in if you intend to do writing elsewhere.
@Bluedoll very true but I have no plans on writing anywhere. My job actually involves a lot of typing and proofreading. I do it all day long so maybe I don't do it so well here. I will have to be more careful. It doesn't bother me if people respond to me and have words missing or misspelled words. I can always figure out what they are saying.
Making mistakes is common in everyone.
I know you mean well, but it happens to the best of us. Heck, you are a famous writer and would catch those errors. Run on sentences kill me, but you can't t teach an old dog new tricks. I just overlook them and move on.
I totally agree and in most cases those errors can be overlooked, however when you're trying to say one thing and it comes out the opposite of what you want to say all because a word was left out, that's when I bring it to the person's attention for clarification. Famous, eh? Thanks for the vote of confidence.
@just4him You are more than welcome! Let me think of the last time I wrote a book and had a book signing opportunity. Ugh, NEVER!
@DianneN I can think of nothing more satisfying in my life than working on a book and knowing that someday someone will read the words I write.
That's a good idea. People are in a hurry. It is the season after all.
I think people are always in a hurry, in season or not.
@just4him .....That's very true.
@deadreak (607)
• Dagupan City, Philippines
Yes i know you'll be bother and conciuos of every missing word, be inspector of ever sentence, its because you're a writer. For us just an ordinary blogger like us we don't mind those issues as long as we've got the thought.. and maybe put a little understanding on it.
If the missing word doesn't changed the sentence, no problem. If it does, then it's something you need to watch, whether you're a writer or a simple blogger. You don't want people to think one way when you mean it another.
I agree. Sometimes it is hard to figure out the respond that was left. I just like it and leave no respond because I do not know what they meant.
Yes it is hard sometimes, so I ask for clarification.
Very good advice and I'm one of the offenders although I do try to read over what I've written. My worst 'blue' is forgetting to put 'not' in some of my sentences as they read the exact opposite of what I want to say. I think my fingers can't keep up with my brain.
I know my fingers can't keep up with my brain, which is why I know I need to read everything over before I hit submit. I've never noticed any missing words in your comments or posts.