Why do people ruin an innocent concept like chatting?

@flpoolbum (2396)
United States
December 11, 2016 4:24pm CST
When I was a kid, long before the internet and inexpensive long distance calling, I enjoyed having a pen pal. With the worldwide coverage of the internet, I thought that it would be great to talk to people all over the world, make friends and share our cultures. Why do people have to ruin this concept by asking for money? It happens more often than not. It is so upsetting! You think that you have a good rapport going and then BAMB, they ask you for money. If they only knew-they are barking up the wrong tree! Why do some people have to ruin such a nice idea for others, who probably give up trying because they don't want to be bothered. Someone should set up a website for people wanting to be chat pals and make one of the rules, DON'T ASK OTHER PEOPLE FOR MONEY, THINGS OR VISA SPONSERSHIP! Yes, some guy wanted me to give him my personal information and send him $850 so that he could come to the U.S. and stay with me. What is wrong with some people? I have always believed that 98% of people are good, decent folks, it's the other 2% that ruin it for everyone! Maybe it's old fashioned now, but my Mom raised me better than that!
3 people like this
3 responses
@Happy2BeMe (62082)
• Canada
11 Dec
That is ridiculous and I hear of it happening far too often. I agree most people are good people but you will always get those who are only out for themselves. Who knows how many other people he said the same thing to. When I was younger I had pen pals from all over the world and not once was I asked for money but I have had it happen online a few times.
1 person likes this
@flpoolbum (2396)
• United States
11 Dec
When we were kids writing letters, we were innocent and the world, for us kids anyways, seemed more innocent. there was a time when people didn't even have to lock their front doors. I remember as a kid, going out to "play" all day. My Mom had no idea of where I was or what I was doing. I'm sure that she worried, but was confident that she raised me well and that I wouldn't get into any trouble (well, most of the time LOL).
@Happy2BeMe (62082)
• Canada
12 Dec
@flpoolbum That is exactly how I was raised. We left in the morning and came back when it was time to eat. Sometimes we ate at the neghbors house or they ate at ours. The didn't have the worries that they have today.
@dragon54u (31292)
• United States
11 Dec
It's because people are greedy. If we could get rid of greed the world would not know war, poverty, or most crime. Greed is the cause of all our miseries. Just remember that there are more good people out there than you think. For every bad, greedy person you meet there are thousands of good people.
1 person likes this
@flpoolbum (2396)
• United States
11 Dec
I do believe that most people are good and have good hearts. It's just so frustrating that the small minority of thoughtless people have to taint good and innocent things, keeping the good people from eventually even wanting to try. I use to work in Retailing and in Customer Service, in those fields you see or deal with the "sludge of society" a lot!
@Kandae11 (23428)
11 Dec
Some people will try anything to achieve their goals , and don't care less if they make others uncomfortable in the process.
1 person likes this