The child is a kid

Portmore, Jamaica
I have always wondered who came up with the idea of calling a child a kid. I checked the dictionary and found the definition of a kid to be a young goat and the definition of a child is a young human being, therefore it's somewhat baffling as there where the interrelation between the two arises. Some may argue that young goats are very playful just like children are but there are many other young animals that are very playful. It seems this definition originated in the US and has has been adopted in many other countries with the exception of Great Britain. There are numerous contradictions between Britain and the US when it comes to naming certain subjects or objects.
• Peoria, Arizona
I always thought it was the mixture of child and kin. So you have a young kin, it could be called a kid. I don't know though haha! It is interesting how words are made.
• Peoria, Arizona
@coffeebreakwhatever Haha, it makes sense to me!
It is kind of funny to compare children to baby goats but you want to hear something even funnier ? My step-pop used to call all of his children 'squids' yep a squid cause the word kid did not sit right with him and little people who are under 10 years of age are children but not baby goats @blubea
It is like a nickname people give to others. I mean... Someone might be given a name of Robert, but they are called Moose...because maybe they like to go moose hunting, or joined a moose lodge/club. There are different reasons.
• New Delhi, India
English language is full of such contraindications
It does seems a strange term for children but it has been around for a long time.
It makes you wonder doesn't it?