How do you respond when someone interrupts you in conversation?

Walnut Creek, California
I was listening to sports talk radio this morning, of all things, when I noticed that one of the hosts was constantly interrupting his guest, a sports reporter who was being interviewed. It was as if the host was trying to assert his power by not letting the person being interviewed speak. I changed the station. In real life, one of my pet peeves is interrupting. I tend to speak quietly but clearly. If someone interrupts me, I notice it. It wasn't until I started teaching assertiveness in my Intro to Psychology class that I realized I was NON-assertive around interrupters. I used to let people talk over me and then try again. Now, I simply say, "Excuse me--I want to finish my point," or something similar, when I'm interrupted, and I usually get to finish my thought without offending anybody. How do you respond when someone interrupts you? Does it bother you as much as it does me?
• Uzbekistan
Yes, it does bother me and I also ask to be allowed to finish what I want to say. But I also interrupt. That's a bad habit, I know. But I get impatient when people talk too slowly and in a long-winded way and I already know half-way through a sentence how it will end. Unfortunately, I now live among a tribe in the south of Germany where most people talk in this way.
• Walnut Creek, California
Do they talk slowly? Or do they tend to interrupt?
• Uzbekistan
@TheHorse They talk slowly. That doesn't mean they're challenged in any way. On the contrary. This is a region where many world-famous inventions have been made. I've been living here for more than 40 years but I'll suffer until my last day when a local opens his or her mouth and talks in the regional dialect. Even well-educated people do that. It pulls off my shoes! I speak standard German. I can't speak anything else. But because of this, I'm sometimes considered arrogant.
• Walnut Creek, California
@MALUSE I wonder if, as an American who doesn't speak German, I would pick up on the differences in speech across regions there. Here in California (as in New York, but with a different accent) people tend to talk fast. Up in Montana, where I spend part of my Summers, people speak more slowly.
I think it's rude. One chap I know prefaces his interruptions with "Interrupting you..." as if that made it all right.
• Walnut Creek, California
I'd just lay my "Excuse me, I'd like to finish..." line on him.
@TheHorse I'll do that next time.
@UncleJoe (11276)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@jaboUK then you should be allowed to preface by saying, "Punching you in the face" to express your opinion.
I change my behavior to change their behavior. If interrupted too many times, I stop speaking. The majority of the time they realize their interruptions are the reason for my silence and more often than not, I am asked to contribute what I want to say.
• Walnut Creek, California
Some people I know talk so much they probably wouldn't notice if I went silent.
@TheHorse Well, going silent does allow others who talk too much to wear themselves out. A good thing.
• Walnut Creek, California
@Corbin5 Have you ever actually put the phone down, gone to get a glass of water, come back, and had the other person still be yakking away?
I don't like interrupting or being interrupted. I have a supply of phrases, similar to yours, that I use as well.
• Walnut Creek, California
Do they do the trick without "hurting" others?
@TheHorse I hope so!
• Walnut Creek, California
@DianneN I get a lot of practice with the ADHD kids I work with. But I try not to be "mean" about it.
• Denver, Colorado
My girlfriend does this to me all the time, but so do others. I try twice and then give up.
• Walnut Creek, California
You just let them ramble on? Sometimes I do that, but I then turn it into an experiement to see how long they'll blab on without seeking my thoughts.
• Denver, Colorado
@TheHorse - Pretty much. I just pretty much give up.
• Walnut Creek, California
@teamfreak16 At least you get to practice your listening skills.
This really bothers me. I see it on shows like MSNBC Live and such. Discussions. Many don't do this but some do. I can see getting excited about the subject matter but, it is a form of disrespect. That is how I feel when it happens to me. That they don't have enough respect for me to let me finish.
Political reporters are the worst to talk over people. I hate that.
@ScribbledAdNauseum .....Me too.
@celticeagle I change the channel or walk out of the room when that happens. Someone who doesn't want another to finish their thoughts isn't someone I want to listen to!
@Gillygirl (17602)
• Sutton, England
I don't like being interrupted either. I usually say I will listen when I have finished speaking.
• Walnut Creek, California
Does that tend to work?
@Gillygirl (17602)
• Sutton, England
@TheHorse In a professional capacity it does. Especially when accompanied by one of my looks.
• Walnut Creek, California
@Gillygirl My "look" depends on the situation. The other night, I was just saying (to the chronic interrupter), "Excuse me, I think (other friend) was still speaking."
I was never in this predicament .So I can not answer this.But if I was I will tell her or him to I am sure that you can see the line there.
• Walnut Creek, California
Alas, there are situations (like at work) where I can't tell someone to go to ****.
@TheHorse I know that you cannot.I understand
• Walnut Creek, California
@amadeo But with my friends who just won't shut up or listen...
• New Delhi, India
I try to ignore at first but if necessary I ask the person to let me finish
• Walnut Creek, California
I do that sometimes. But I'm more likely to say "excuse me, I'd like to finish" than I was a few years ago.
• New Delhi, India
@TheHorse that's sober enough
• Walnut Creek, California
@amitkokiladitya It actually works sometimes.
@FayeHazel (21431)
Yes totally! Usually what I have to say is well thought through and I too am quiet -- and normally I don't say anything when interrupted - or if it happens over and over and over and over as it tends to - then sometimes I snap. I like "Excuse me, I want to finish my point" a better way to handle it though. Thank you
• Walnut Creek, California
I did it the other night on behalf of a friend who was constantly being interrupted by a chronic interrupter.
@FayeHazel (21431)
@TheHorse You're an awesome friend.
• Walnut Creek, California
@FayeHazel Heh. I just had t do it. It was driving me nuts.
Sometimes. I,just, try to be patient and look for an opening to talk. I guess I am too easy going.
• Walnut Creek, California
That does sound pretty (too?) easy going? Would say anything if someone said "Mars is the first planet to appear in the evening sky and is the second planet from the sun" while pointing at Venus?
@TheHorse Well, that is different. I would have to,gently, interrupt and make my point. If the person wants to argue, I just walk away. You cannot argue with ignorance.
• Walnut Creek, California
@Montecristodog Sigh. Ive had to many times in my day. I think my friend that I taught about Orion and Scorpio (they're opposite each other in the night sky--one is a Winter constellation and the other a Summer constellation) still thinks they're right next to each other.
Absolutely, it bothers me a lot and I find rude people who interrupt those who are talking. I do what you do, I say "excuse me, let me finish what I have started to say".
• Walnut Creek, California
It seems like a very "neutral" and appropriate thing to say.
@TheHorse I think it is but it does not work all the time. My Mom is someone who interrupts all the time and once she starts to speak it's hard to be able to speak again.
@inertia4 (27775)
I usually get mad. Can't help it. I notice that on Fox news. My girlfriend watches that fake news channel all the time and they always cut the people off. Like they know it all and don't want to hear what the other person is saying.
• Walnut Creek, California
I wonder if Fox Fake News does it more than CBS and all of the other Fake News Stations.
@inertia4 (27775)
@TheHorse Yes, Fox lies all the time. That is a fact. I like watching that Vice News on HBO now. They go deep into the stories.
I certainly have noticed news reporters continually interrupting those they're interviewing. Some of the old hands are quite good at dealing with this but others not so.
• Walnut Creek, California
It was interesting how Hillary handled one of (and probably more of) The Donald's interruptions during the Presidential Berates...I mean Debates. She just kept on talking as if he wasn't talking over her. I thought it was a good move.
@TheHorse Some of our pollies will say 'well, if you'd just let me finish' or similar.
• Prairieville, Louisiana
Cute grandkids at the table.
• Walnut Creek, California
Oh, those aren't my biological kids or grandkids. The boy is sort of my "pretend son." His mom came here from Eastern Europe and his dad is out of the picture. So I take him cycling, play soccer with him, etc. The little girl is a neighbor too. This is them coloring on my balcony a couple of years ago. Note how shes kind of being "the boss." That's what made me use the picture.
• Prairieville, Louisiana
Interrupting people is rude but I have done it myself.
• Walnut Creek, California
I try to catch myself if I'm tempted. My ADHD kid clients interrupt a lot.
I don't know if you are aware of this phrase "not cutting you" - In my side of the world, when someone is interrupting another person in the midst of dialogue - that is what they would say. I find it annoying because they are doing just that -- cutting in on your speech, why not simply say - excuse me..
• Walnut Creek, California
We say "cutting you off," as in a car.
Oh, I hate the type that interrupt others! I am non-assertive myself. It's just the way I was taught. However, if I feel passionately enough, I will talk over the person trying to talk over me. I think it's rude and childish to interrupt people. To me it just shows you that the person interrupting doesn't liket he point you are trying to make. Doesn't want to hear your opinion, even.
• Walnut Creek, California
Some don't even care (about your point). They just want to keep on blabbing.
yes it reallydoes and I now say PLEASE let me finish
• Walnut Creek, California
I'm glad you assert yourself.
I let them know that a conversation means we both listen and talk. If it does not stop I get up and walk away. I don't deal with that at all. It's something that will piss me off in a bad way.
• Walnut Creek, California
Glad I'm not the only one who gets ticked off by interrupters.