FORTY-EIGHT HOURS - NO SLEEP.

image by pixabay
Have you ever managed forty-eight hours without sleep? I won't go into details on this post - but I have. After the first twenty-four hours, I felt lethargic and must have dozed off a couple of times - but for no longer than ten minutes. Still on the subject of sleep : Do you have a standard time when you go to bed -or are you a night owl?. and what is most likely to disturb your sleep at night? For me, it would be the barking of our dog - thankfully, it only lasts for a minute or two.
@dodo19 (27728)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
I have gone that long without any sleep. After a while, if I really can't sleep, I just give up and get up. But after not sleeping that night, I'm usually exhausted that following night.
Yes you would be exhausted because when we sleep at night our cells are rejuvenated to keep us functioning at optimum levels.
"The day after" no sleep is always a "write off".
@marlina It is a horrid feeling.
I've never stayed up more than 20 hours, and that's rare. My normal day is about 16 hours. I wake when my bladder makes demands.
That happens to me on a chilly night - I don't know why.
@LoriAMoore (9687)
I take ambien now to help but sometimes it doesn't help but yes I've been up 48 hours before without sleep. It's not fun.
Before - it had seemed impossible to me until I actually did it.
The most I did was 36 hours of no sleep and it was awful.
I know, it is hard to describe the feeling.
@Morleyhunt (15947)
I've gone that long with no significant sleep...a few minutes here or there....I get pretty cranky...you don't want to be around me when I'm sleep deprived.
It is not a nice feeling, I know.
I am a night owl because I work nights. I try to treat it by listening to sounds of rain in you tube. It works.
But you do get your rest during the day? Although I know that sleep in the day is not as restful as nighttime.
@Kandae11 I try to make some time in the day and listen to sounds of nature.
I usually sleep pretty well except for those trips to the bathroom a few times a night
Then , the need to use the bathroom would be the only thing disturbing your rest. I try not to have too much liquid a couple of hours before bedtime.
@ridingbet (36366)
one will have reduced oxygen in his brain cells if awake for 48 hours.
It can be that dangerous?.
@ridingbet (36366)
@Kandae11 yes, and it can lead to cardio-pulmonary arrest or mental derangement
• Paramaribo, Suriname
up until now i did that twice. so i was binch watching a TV series at the time called chuck with my girlfriend ,and we kept telling each other that this is the last episode and jet we manage to go to the next one before you know it its 4 am in the morning and your left wondering what will happn in the next season so you say lets watch only the first episode of that season ,now your hooked we gave up at temptation and drank some coffee and kept watching we literally watched from Friday morning till son-day morning and after that your mind is so over worked that every thing you do and see that day goes by so fast you keep blinking all day loung and the worst part is now that you want to go to sleep sonday you cant because if you close your eyes all episodes start playing in your head again . the only thing that managed to make me fall a sleep is after a hole 2 hours of love making. told my self it was the last time i did that. jet still after a few weeks i did the same thing binch watching a nother tv series called true blood . now i cant even stay up past 2 am without blinking twice as fast
That had to be a very, very interesting show, because if I am tired I usually fall asleep watching a movie.
• Paramaribo, Suriname
@Kandae11 i know right now a days i cant do it any more my minds wants to keep watching but my eyes and body shot down automatically if im watching on the phone it falls on my face if im looking at my tv after a while the tv is watching me .2 years ago i could go 1or 2 days without sleep now i must struggle to stay up past 2 am
@shahidguno You need at least six hours sleep at night - 2a.m. is much too late.
@Prshnth (847)
• Bangalore, India
the maximum i was asleep was around 24 hours... i will sleep wherever i am standing and whatever i am doing if i don't sleep for 24 hour
Thankfully I never had to repeat that forty-eight hour episode.
@Prshnth (847)
• Bangalore, India
@Kandae11 unless you want to join army...do you know special forces do something called as sleep deprivation ,they can asleep upto 11 days....insane!!!!!
@Prshnth You mean 11 days without sleep? Impossible.
@besweet (7340)
• Greece
I've done 32 hours of work at the library when I was a student and had a project deadline. I tried to sleep on the desk but I was stressed and couldn't fall asleep. I think I was awake for 34 hours in total that day!
Did you make the deadline? Usually it is best when studying to take short naps but be sure to set the alarm.
@besweet (7340)
• Greece
@Kandae11 Yes we did. We were 6 persons in the team but 3 of the guys decided to quit the effort and one girl got a panic attack at some point. So it was just two of us left to complete the project and submit it!
@mosherii (379)
The longest I have stayed is 24hrs. I was a walking log.
Even 24hrs can be too long
@mosherii (379)
@Kandae11 I survived by taking coffee like water.
Forty eight hours straight with no sleep - no. I wouldn't make it obviously. Standard time to go to bed - 10pm tops unless I'm out partying. I can function as an early riser or as a night owl so that is no problem with me. Most likely to disturb me during sleep - noise from neighbors.
Ten p.m. is my time for bed - sometimes 9 and I can't sleep later than 6a.m.
• Trinidad And Tobago
Previously I went to sleep at 8.00pm and woke up at 3.00 am. that was my routine. But I invested a lot on a certain site and had to adjust my sleep in order to 'meet' with people on the other side of the world. I find it hard to sleep during the day...usually I end up with huge headaches. I love the night to do work...but it is not a healthy practice.
Some of us can't do much about the situation when it is job related , but usually one would get the most restful sleep at night. During the day, there will be the usual daytime noises which would disturb sleep.
• Trinidad And Tobago
@Kandae11 That too. But the daylight can also be harsh when one is not accustom.
@Dena91 (3612)
I generally go to bed between 1230 and 1 am. I am a light sleeper for the most part. I hear when our girls, cats, are up roaming around or chasing one another. Last night I was awakened to thunder and heavy rain. I don't believe I've ever been awake for as long as 48 hours, 24 tops but not 48.
Going to bed that late -- what time do you get up in the morning?.
@Dena91 (3612)
@Kandae11 anywhere from 5 to 630 am. I have always been this way. Once in awhile if I am super tired I will take a nap during the day. My whole family is a family of night owls.
@else34 (13666)
• New Delhi, India
@Kandae11 I have been a late sleeper for more than a decade.However I leave bed at 5 a.m in the morning.Once when my mother was seriously ill I didn't sleep continuously for two nights.
So you go to bed late and get up early - that won't give you enough hours sleep, but I suppose it works for you if you have been doing it for more than a decade. I hope your mom is well now.
@else34 (13666)
• New Delhi, India
@Kandae11 All I can say is I have got accustomed to it.I don't feel sleepy in the daytime.And fortunately I don't have any problems.Yes,my mother is fit and well now.
I don't know how much sleep I have had the last month but it hasn't been much. Maybe 2-3 hours per night, if I'm lucky. With a newborn I don't sleep much lately.
I know it must be difficult with a newborn in the house.
@Freelanzer (6413)
I must say I am a night owl
That means you go to bed very very late.
I go to bed around the same time each night, give or take. Nothing disturbs my sleep. I pulled an all nighter in college and was a mess the next day.
I know the feeling.
@FayeHazel (10783)
Ow, I have never done that. I hope you are sleeping alright. I go to bed when I'm tired. :-)
That happened when I worked with the government in my country - now I am my own boss it isn't likely to happen again.