Did you know there are certain foods you should never reheat?

@CRK109 (13660)
I'm sure some of you know about this. I would have thought someone would have told me before now, and looking at this list, I'm surprised I'm still alive. I had no idea. 1. Chicken. This is what I read about reheating chicken. After you've cooked it the first time, you should only reheat it ONCE. Stomach problems can be caused from reheating chicken multiple times. And when you reheat it the first time, it goes without saying that you should make sure it heats up all the way through to make sure it's safe to eat. 2. Eggs. Well, for me, this would never be a problem. I don't think I've ever cooked eggs and then had enough left over that I needed to reheat them. But I read that reheating eggs can cause serious problems for our digestion. Now I don't know if this would be the same for something like a quiche that is basically an egg dish with other things in it. I've reheated quiche and I don't remember having problems. 3. Beets. I grew up always eating beets cold with a little oil and vinegar on them, and I don't eat beets much anymore. But beets, along with carrots or celery or spinach (also on this list) are high in nitrates. If you keep reheating these foods that are high in nitrates, they can become toxic for us. Did you know that? I had no idea! 4. Spinach. Same as with beets. If you have spinach left over from what you've cooked, either eat it cold, put it into a salad or toss it out. Don't take the chance reheating it and poisoning yourself. 5. Celery and carrots. These are also high in nitrates, so it's the same kind of problem here. Thankfully for me, I tend to eat these raw, either with hummus or in salads. But there are times when I will cook carrots and I don't think I ever thought twice about reheating them. ugh. 6. Rice. Well the first big problem with rice seems to be that right after cooking the rice, whatever you're not going to eat right away should be stored in the refrigerator in an air tight container. Leaving rice out at room temperature can cause it to become poisonous and then reheating it...well that's just awful. Again, this is something I never knew. 7. Potatoes. Same as with rice. I read that you should never cook them and leave them out in room temperature to cool before storing them in the fridge. Whatever won't be eaten right away should be put right into the fridge or you could risk food poisoning. I know I've left potatoes out before. At a meal such as Easter, they sit on the table for a long time before leftovers are put away. I think we should all have gotten sick. 8. Mushrooms. I always loved Mom's mushrooms. Sauteed in some olive oil with a little salt and pepper and some sauteed onions. So delicious! Apparently, we should not be reheating these EVER. Well, I remember from those days of Mom cooking them that I'd take them out of the fridge and eat them cold. And they were wonderful! So what do you know about this list? Do you know if all of this is really true or am I passing around fake news? Some of it makes real sense to me and some is a little confusing. Claudia
@Platespinner (14694)
I agree with @MALUSE. Leftovers are quite a popular item in this house and though we rarely heat leftovers a second time, it does occur from time to time. Carrots, rice, potatoes, spinach (usually in quiche), eggs, chicken....I've done it all, fed it to my children and my husband and the only time anyone around here has suffered from food poisoning it's been the result of something they've eaten elsewhere.
@CRK109 (13660)
I'm glad I brought it up because it was making me second guess myself! Seems that someone out there decided to scare someone (like me) just for the heck of it! lol
@RubyHawk (11123)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I wouldn't be surprised if we left foof out of the fridge and warmed it over several times. If I have a large amount I only warm what I intend to serve.
@owlwings (37168)
• Cambridge, England
In general, it is vegetables which have little or no acid (all of the ones you mention) which are breeding grounds for bacteria and therefore spoil the quickest when cold and it's harder to tell by smell when something is 'off'. The same applies to cooked meats, though salt is also an inhibitor, which is why bacon, ham and smoked sausage contain a fair bit of salt (they are usually also dried somewhat so that they contain much less moisture, which also helps preserve them). I have eaten all of the things you mention (and many more) reheated as left-overs and I don't think I;ve ever suffered ill effects. Of course, in the restaurant trade, hygiene has to be at a higher standard than we sometimes tolerate at home, so every chef has to be aware of the dangers of reheating foods (and of the necessity of cooling them quickly if they are to be stored and reheated, of course).
@owlwings I also did and never had problems. I would add that not reheating the chicken completely cannot be dangerous because it is already cooked, you can also eat the chicken (already cooked) cold.
@owlwings (37168)
• Cambridge, England
@LadyDuck It all depends on what you mean by reheating. The point is that cold cooked chicken, especially, is an excellent breeding ground for all sorts of undesirable bacteria and most people's idea of 'reheating' would not kill any which had found their way into the meat and would simply make them multiply faster. Of course, as many can testify, most people don't die or get ill from eating reheated chicken but a restaurant can't afford to take that sort of chance and this sort of directive is almost always published for professional chefs or posted by someone who has read the food safety material which everyone on a catering course has to learn.
@CRK109 (13660)
I hadn't thought about the restaurants in this discussion. But what you say makes so much sense! Thank you!
Half of the food there I do not eat.
@CRK109 (13660)
And the good news is that you don't have to worry about them! lol
@CRK109 you got that right.
Well the only ones we would ever reheat would be the chicken. As my bf loves italian and chicken parm is a favorite of his but doesnt always eat it all at once. But i dont think he ever heats it up more than the one time
@CRK109 (13660)
I've been trying to remember if I've ever done that and probably not. I don't think I've ever had that much leftover.
@CRK109 we don't eat leftovers unless its pizza
@UncleJoe (6571)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I know you're telling the truth. I read the same article on MSN News. I also understand why thwey say this but unfortunately, we have been making these mistakes for years. We reheat roadkill all the time.
@CRK109 (13660)
Ewwwww! I'm so glad I wasn't drinking my coffee when I read this! lol I always know, when I see your bright and shining face to put down the coffee before reading! You are a very good teacher! lol
@Ronrybs (7067)
• London, England
Couple there I was surprised to find out about. I like beets cold and like you left over eggs are not a problem!
@CRK109 (13660)
I really do think some of these are wrong, but I've decided not to take chances. I tend to only cook a meal for one at a time so I generally have no leftovers to worry about. Easier that way.
@RubyHawk (11123)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I didn't know any of it. I always heat all our left overs. It hasn't killed us yet.
@CRK109 (13660)
I guess someone decided to scare everyone for nothing! Well, now I know and can stop worrying!
I don't believe this for one minute!
@CRK109 (13660)
thanks, Marlina. I appreciate your input!
I do not reheat potatoes because they get a bad taste, but mushrooms and spinach is something that even my Mom used to reheat (even several times) and the fact that she is 96 proves that they are not dangerous at all.
@CRK109 (13660)
that's so good to know and so I appreciate your input!
I don't think we have reheated chicken more than once. Or potatoes either.
@CRK109 (13660)
Well, that's good to know! I'm not sure how many of these are true but right now I'd be a little afraid to try it!
Well I reheat rice and chicken all the time and I am alive
@CRK109 (13660)
guess I did find fake news after all! I'm actually glad because I was trying to figure out how to remember all of that! Thanks, Chris!
In any event, I never leave any cooked food out of the refrigerator overnight.
@CRK109 (13660)
I don't do that, either. But from cooking to having leftovers, something is always left around somewhere! lol
I didn't know much of this at all so thanks for the warnings.
Very interesting and, I have noticed chicken, rice and, eggs don't taste as good after you reheat them.