Writing Sites Have Become Rare

Photo of my computer taken by author; all rights reserved
Laguna Woods, California
About 8 or 9 years ago, when I first started writing online, I saw a story about it on our local news and thought it would be a fun way to earn a little extra money. I was right. I have had a great time over the years and earned thousands of dollars writing online. I also had the opportunity to learn from and get to know many other writers, including several whom I have actually met in person, such as @ElizabethWallace. Sadly, many of the sites where I used to write have closed down. The list below does not include all the closed sites, but here are the ones I know about: eHow Squidoo Bubblews WebAnswers Triond SheToldMe Flixya Xomba Snipsly Post-Ur-Own Bukisa Zujava InfoPirate Seeky Helium Associated Content Examiner AllVoices Wikinut I earned money from most of the above sites at one time or another. The first time I heard of @DaddyEvil and @PrettyEvil was through WebAnswers. The three of us were among the top 50 people on that site at one time. At the time the site closed, I had answered over 6000 questions! Until Squidoo closed, I was doing pretty well with my articles there, too. Recently, the writers on InfoBarrel have sounded the alarm that InfoBarrel is also having problems. It has become difficult, if not impossible, to edit old articles or add Amazon modules, which is the primary way to make money there. This is often the first sign that a site will be closing soon. Hubpages is still open and doing OK, but writers constantly have to edit their articles and my income on that site has dropped dramatically, too. Today, I removed several articles which were no longer worth maintaining. It is sad to see how the world of online writing has collapsed in less than a decade. Have you ever written on any sites other than MyLot? What was your experience? Are there other sites I should add to my obituary of closed sites?
I remember Zomba and Bukisa. There were also Helium and Associated Content which became Yahoo Voices.
@carebear29 (26161)
• Wausau, Wisconsin
i liked helium
• Laguna Woods, California
@JohnRoberts - I forgot about Helium and Associated Content. I just added them to my list, too. It is sad to see it growing so long.
• Laguna Woods, California
@carebear29 - I never wrote for them, but I know a lot of people who liked Helium. I just added it to the list.
@PatZAnthony (11801)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Earning from those sites for years had many of us convinced we would always be able to work online for an income that made some sense. Who wouldn't love to see some sites like Bubblews and Examiner again?
• Laguna Woods, California
@PatZAnthony - I just added Examiner to the list, too. I forgot about them, and I had several friends who wrote for them. I was considering applying to Examiner when they fell apart. I agree that the writing sites on my list had many of us convinced we would eventually be able to make a living by writing online. It is disappointing to see what has happened.
Yup!!!
@PatZAnthony (11801)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
@DeborahDiane We are waiting for something wonderful to appear! Nah. Time to move on.
I haven't been on Infobarrel for ages although I enjoyed writing there. MyLot is just a lot easier.
I like the interaction here--I keep hearing that Hubpages and Infobarrel are going to merge at some point
@divalounger I hadn't heard that but as I said I rarely go there now. Certainly there wasn't much interaction.
• Laguna Woods, California
@JudyEv - I thought I remembered that you were on InfoBarrel when I first got to know you. However, I learned much more about you when you were writing on Bubblews and MyLot. It has been years since I added any new articles on InfoBarrel. I used to really enjoy it, and I learned so much from the writers on the forum. I would not be where I am today if it had not been for the writers, there.
Some that have not closed, like Persona Paper, have stopped their earnings program. Very few have left. I liked Squidoo I was doing very well there.
• Laguna Woods, California
@LadyDuck - I liked Squidoo, too. I was doing very well there, also. Sadly, Hubpages ruined the articles. The income from them dropped off quickly after they took over.
@DeborahDiane I was highly deceived by Hubpages, I have never liked that site.
• Laguna Woods, California
@LadyDuck - I feel the same way. It is such an irritating site. Who wants to constantly have to re-write old articles?
Interesting ... Of the ones you mentioned, which ones are still working?
• Laguna Woods, California
@danielasilva - On the list above, NONE of them continue to operate and pay writers. A couple of them may still have articles online, but the writers are not getting paid. InfoBarrel and Hubpages still exist. Writers have been having a lot of trouble with InfoBarrel and Hubpages is very time-consuming because you have to keep editing your articles. It is frustrating.
@DeborahDiane ohh...very sad...
@tallawah (7361)
• Kingston, Jamaica
@DeborahDiane You and I are on the same word, not merely page. To get a 1c the amount of work you have to put into Hubpages, and the liklihood some one who is planning to plagiarise your work will flag it so it is no longer viewable, is far too common.
I'm so sorry. I wish I could offer suggestions, but I only knew about B and this site. I also don't consider myself a writer in the true sense of the word. I truly hope someone here can steer you to other writing sites.
• Laguna Woods, California
@DianneN - Actually, I'm OK. I have my blog and my books, so I'm as busy as I want to be with my writing. I learned so much from the other online writers, that it makes me sad to see the sites close. The same publishing house which will produce Elizabeth Wallace's book has also requested one from me. I have completed the writing; they are doing the editing, design work and promotion ... at their cost. We're both excited about our books, which should be out later this year. I'll write a post about them, when they are available. Elizabeth's book will be out about three or four months before mine.
@DeborahDiane Super news and many congratulations!!!!!!!
• Laguna Woods, California
@DianneN - Thank you!
@tallawah (7361)
• Kingston, Jamaica
I have written on Ten of your named sites; plus Factoidz and Seekyt... and another one I can't recall. Oh it's really down to 3 sites now... this one, Literacybase and to some extent, Niume.
• Laguna Woods, California
@tallawah Isn't it sad that so many of the writing sites have closed down?
@tallawah (7361)
• Kingston, Jamaica
@DeborahDiane It is very sad, because people are now very limited, and have no real options
• Laguna Woods, California
@tallawah - You are right that today's writers are more limited and don't really have many options, unless they want to start their own sites. It is sad.
Bubblews was my first and we both know how that site ended
@DWDavis (11146)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I started on Bubblews when my class challenged me to try it out after seeing an article on Channel One, the in class news service. From there I migrated to Persona Paper, which is still open, but not paying. Now I am here on myLot and loving it. I also wrote for a while on HubPages but the time involved to maintain old articles and prepare new ones, for relatively little return or interaction has kept me away for a while.
• Laguna Woods, California
@DWDavis - Bubblews was great, while it lasted. So were some of the other sites, but they all faded away. Too bad Persona Paper no longer pays. I agree about HubPages. The site is a lot of work for very little pay. Frustrating.
@divalounger (2276)
I am on hubpages and that is one of the places I post poetry--I was on bubblews and persona paper for a while--it seems as though these sites often have a poorly thought out business plan--where are all us online writers going to go?
• Laguna Woods, California
@divalounger - I have often wondered the same thing ... where are the writers going to go? I agree about the poor business plans. I think part of the problem is that some of the big companies, like Time, Huffington Post, US News, and others, are now posting their articles online, so there is less of a market for freelance writers who are sharing their knowledge and experience. If you write poetry, Hubpages is as good a site as any to publish it.
@DeborahDiane Hubpages has been good to me, and they have been around a long time--the days of making lots of money are gone there, but I know several people there that make 200-400 a month--
• Laguna Woods, California
@divalounger - I would be thrilled if I made even $100 a month from them. Right now, with over 200 articles on the sites, I rarely make over $3 a month.
@HazySue (17029)
I used to make money on some of the sites that are now closed. Squidoo was one of my favorites - I was so sorry to see t close. I am still on HubPages but like you my earning has gone down and the constant rewriting is starting to make me crazy.
• Laguna Woods, California
@HazySue - I have tried to maintain at least some of my Hubpages articles, but I'm starting to give up on others. Any article which mentions products seems to be unsalvageable, so I am not going to keep updating them. Squidoo was so much easier. I'm sad to see that so many sites have closed the past few years.
@HazySue (17029)
@DeborahDiane I found that I liked writing on Squidoo. It seemed easier. I have tried to maintain on hubpages also but it has become counterproductive.
• Laguna Woods, California
@HazySue - I agree. I really liked Squidoo and made good money there. However, keeping up the same articles on Hubpages is frustrating.
@hereandthere (24123)
sometimes when i look up food online, then scroll down to the comments, the format of the site looks like hubpages, but i see 'delishably' at the top, not hubpages. i guess it's one of their niches?
• Laguna Woods, California
@hereandthere - I know that Hubpages has some niche sites, but I have not explored them. You could be right.
@DeborahDiane "Delishably" is one of the niche sites--
• Laguna Woods, California
@divalounger - Since I don't cook much, I haven't really checked out Delishably. I'll have to keep an eye out for their other niche sites, though. I don't know what they have.
I've only ever been on Bubblews before this one, so have no other experience. I am on a poetry site now, but it's a non-paying site.
• Laguna Woods, California
@jaboUK - It seems as if all the writing sites are pretty much either non-paying or they pay poorly these days. It is pretty sad. I'm glad you are on a poetry site, though. You will get a lot of encouragement for your work, there.
@RubyHawk (21448)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I have and earned good money but I'm afraid the end has come and I wonder why. Surely they made a good income from all the writers.
I wrote on several including bubblews that went under which was sad.
• Laguna Woods, California
@jstory07 - Yes, it is sad when these sites go under. Very disappointing.
@Shiva49 (9597)
I was with Associated Content which became Yahoo Contributor Network/ Yahoo Voices later. Being non US based, I did not get paid but enjoyed my stint of few years there. Then Yahoo closed it. I was also with Bukisa for a while and still with Wikinut though not active through posting new articles. Despite promising life time payment, they went back on their promise and that was a dampener with many either quitting or becoming inactive. I feel myLot is alright and hope it is there to stay - siva
• Laguna Woods, California
I hope that MyLot is hear to stay, too. I get tired of sites which say they are here to stay ... and then they close or sell themselves.
@Shiva49 (9597)
@DeborahDiane I heard Associated Content was sold to Yahoo for $100 million and for a total posts of 2 million that worked out to $50 per post. Looks like those heady days are well over - siva
@tallawah (7361)
• Kingston, Jamaica
Associated Content once paid... well... but that was a long time ago.
@dianadee (1766)
• South Africa
Was Also on Squidoo and Bubblews. Hope all is well here on this home front!
• Laguna Woods, California
@dianadee - It is almost shocking how many sites have disappeared during the past couple of years. I hope this one sticks around, too!
@dianadee (1766)
• South Africa
@DeborahDiane I hope not. It can be rather demoralising.
• Laguna Woods, California
@dianadee - I agree that it is very demoralizing to write a lot of articles for a site and "poof" the site closes down.
@SAM774 (2225)
i was not aware that there is so many site where you can write and get paid ...... but sadly it closed ...do you know any which is open ?
• Laguna Woods, California
@SAM774 - Most of the sites which are left do not pay very well. You also have to write in perfect American or British English in order to be able to publish your writing on most of the remaining sites. They are a lot of work for very little money. It is sad.
@SAM774 (2225)
@DeborahDiane oh that's sad
@carebear29 (26161)
• Wausau, Wisconsin
i miss bubblews but thankful for this site
• Laguna Woods, California
@carebear29 - I miss several of the sites on that list, including Bubblews. I am also thankful for MyLot. Many of us would have disappeared, never to know each other again, if it weren't for MyLot.
@carebear29 (26161)
• Wausau, Wisconsin
Postloop although a forum posting site has closed too. Some of the sites that are left, are pale ghosts of themselves.
• Laguna Woods, California
@snowy22315 - You are so right that the sites which are left are barely in existence these days. As you said, they are pale ghosts of themselves.