Child labor yields results yet again!

Pleasant Hill, California
Actually, I did most of the work on this one, but my child laborer helped with some of the surfaces and convinced me to test the silent tweeters to see if the tweeters or capacitors were at fault. It turns out it was the capacitors, but I'm not willing to fix them, so I've listened this "as is" on Cgraigslist. It's a 1965 KLH console stereo that was given to me by someone who sold me a Dynaco A-25 (vintage loudspeaker) single. The unit is worth about $350 in good condition, and sold for about the same in 1965. Would you want one of these in your living room if it played records, played FM, had an input for your ipod, and sounded great?
@Nawsheen (22912)
• Mauritius
I would not mind it as long as it plays great music. This child labourer is for sure developing some great skills.
• Pleasant Hill, California
He indeed! He knows much of what I know. Ah, for the old days of "apprentices." Here's what he made me do.
@Nawsheen (22912)
• Mauritius
@TheHorse great. Brillant kid
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Nawsheen He's a smart one.
In the apartment of my Mom there is something very similar. I think to remember my father bought it when I was a young teenager.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Do they still use it? My parents replaced theirs with something more "modern" in the 1970s. I missed the sound of the console, and later realized it was because it had tubes in it.
@TheHorse My mother lives alone in the apartment now and she only watches the TV.
@valmnz (12531)
• New Zealand
I'm not sure what you're talking about here, maybe my silent tweeters or capacitors are not working
• Pleasant Hill, California
My young friend and I tested it. The tweeters work. The capacitors need replacement.
@valmnz (12531)
• New Zealand
@TheHorse but I am such an illiterate in technology I have no idea what those two things are
@garymarsh6 (11721)
I think we had something quite similar when I was much younger. I am going to have to report you to child welfare services. What ever next !!!! You will have them going up chimneys !!
• Pleasant Hill, California
That was in my plan but now I'll have to give you credit for the idea. I'll sing to them softly, "A sweep is as happy as happy can be..."
It really does look great! I bet there are buyers out there who would want this piece for their very own. Lots of baby boomers would probably be interested.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Baby boomers, plus there's a trend back to vinyl among the young.
I would if it sounded good. Right now we just listen to music on our TV.
• Pleasant Hill, California
How's the sound? This thing will sounds really great once the tweeter capacitors are replaced and the turntable belt is replaced.
Wow, what an absolutely beautiful console. I had one many many years ago and got rid of it at the request of my then husband. After I sold it he was ticked off. Said that he didn't think I would actually sell it. Ugh. It was of course way to large for our small apartment.
• Pleasant Hill, California
This one is actually only 31" wide. Some of those old consoles sound surprisingly good. Sorry you sold yours!
@TheHorse I wish I still had it. The woodtones were so rich and warm. Loved that piece so much.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@ElusiveButterfly I love the look of nice wood. My house is prettier because of all the walnut wood near the front of my "listening room."
@responsiveme (11923)
Is he the boy who does math with you?
• Pleasant Hill, California
He is. We've known each other for five years now!
@TheHorse what class is he in?What math is he doing now?
• Pleasant Hill, California
@responsiveme He's finishing up second grade. I'll have to check and see what he's doing now.
@FourWalls (7895)
That looks terrific! Played FM? You're kidding. I still listen to AM radio!
• Pleasant Hill, California
Heh. I listen to news and sports on AM. I listen to jazz and classical on FM.
• Manitou Springs, Colorado
I would take that if it did all of that.
• Pleasant Hill, California
It's gonna need a touch of TLC, though.
@Fleura (5108)
Looks great, I'm sure someone would love it, as you say vinyl is making a big comeback!
• Pleasant Hill, California
I hope it finds a happy home soon.
You bet I would! It did turn out nice.
very nice.But would not fit in my decor.
@cindiowens (3738)
• North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
I absolutely would! It is beautiful and brings back memories.
@blitzfrick (2997)
I love the look of this! Takes me back to the look of the furniture when I was in my early 20s. Even earlier than that (the 1940s), my parents had a radio-phonograph that would cut records! High tech! To answer your question, yes, I'd love to have a working model of the unit in my living room, if I had room, money, and light-colored furniture, lol.
Back in the day I did have something similar but wouldn't have the room for it now. Hope you find someone looking for a vintage console
@JESSY3236 (4351)
It looks like the console stereo we had in the house I grew up in. We had it in the foyer. It only played records. It had speakers on the outside.
@Freelanzer (5435)
Lovely but I have no more space in my home for furniture - which is what I would use it as. I am a wood furniture addict and as such I need to downsize.