$600 worth of milk

Bunbury, Australia
I read a post by @Platespinner some months ago where she mentioned how her husband is great at negotiating ‘deals’ which result in both parties getting what they need without too much money changing hands. I think the barter system is a great way to do business and we’ve had lots of fun over the years doing deals in this way. It saves paying out cash which is always a good thing. About the time we bought the Jaguar we had a little yellow Mini which we were trying to sell. We were having no luck when one day our milkman knocked on the door and offered us a deal. His daughter needed a small, second-hand car and the mini would suit her perfectly. Unfortunately she had no money. Her Dad was prepared to buy the Mini for her but rather than pay us cash he suggested giving us a $600 credit on our milk bill. We could afford to wait for our money so we agreed. I loved getting a statement every month that showed we were hundreds of dollars ahead with our milk account. However before we were paid out, the milkman sold the business and paid out what he owed. Maybe next time I’ll tell you about an even more involved barter concerning some building work, a very big caravan and a powerful motor-bike. Stay tuned!
I could be wrong, but I am under the impression that the barter system is illegal in Colorado.
• Midland, Michigan
It could be illegal in a lot of states, but I've never thought to ask or look and see. We barter window cleaning for a dentist and an eye doctor. I usually owe them more than they owe us, but at least our bill is smaller. What the government doesn't know won't hurt them in this regard that is. If I did all my work using the barter system, then I'd not have any assets to show the bank if I ever needed to get a loan of any type, so not too many people could do it across the board.
Shhhhh.
I wouldn't be surprised if it's illegal here too particularly if there are relatively large sums involved. I figure the government gets enough out of us so I'm happy to 'work a swifty' in this regard.
@Morleyhunt (15942)
I've bartered quite a few things over the years. If I don't need to lay out cash I'm happy.
It's good if you don't need to hand over cash.
Judy we also had a mini when we owned a Jaguar, it was the same color as the Jaguar, fern green.
We seem to have quite a few coincidences between us.
@JudyEv So true Judy, it is incredible.
• Marion, Kansas
Perfect car for a young driver, I think, and a good deal for you.
Yes, a mini was a good first car really.
yes the barter4 system is reallygreat f or xome things
It doesn't always work but if you can make it work it's a good system.
@shebish (808)
• Egypt
The barter system is a much friendlier way to make a deal,it`s a win win for all involved, all this paper stuff makes life so stressful.
That's true. I'm all for avoiding taxes on this, that and the other.
That would have been a lot of milk for a very long time. At least you got your money.
From memory I think the bill was going down about $15 a week.
@manasamanu (3756)
• Bangalore, India
Nice it is that the barter system still exists. Going cashless means this. I love it. We will be waiting for more stories.
We were saving $15 a week in cash and the Mini wasn't sitting in the driveway slowing deteriorating.
• Bangalore, India
@JudyEv That's the reason you sold that car. It really has troubles.
@Nawsheen (22857)
• Mauritius
A perfect deal. Even i want to adopt the barter system
It's a good way of doing business I think - particularly for smaller items or services.
@BettyB (4290)
• Summerville, South Carolina
Bartering is a great way to avoid spending hard earned cash, but I don't care for milk, I would have had trouble making that deal.
I'm sure it wouldn't have suited many. We were spending about $15 a week on milk at the time. There was four in the household at the time.
Bartering is a big deal here in the south - if you place an add for say a lawn mower for sale people will say, would you trade for a boat in trade. We actually bartered when we sold a piece of property 17 years ago. We sold it to our carpet guy (he wasn't our carpet guy until that sale) and part of our payment was in carpeting, which we needed so it worked out good for all of us.
It's such a sensible way to go I think. There should be more of it.
@sueznewz2 (9332)
• Alicante, Spain
like you say ... everyone got what they wanted.. I'll be staying tuned in for your next story...sounds very intriguing .
We had a Mercedes once that we couldn't get rid of and swapped it for a boat thinking the boat would be easier to sell in the long run and we could have a bit of fun with it in the meantime.
Sounds like a pretty good deal there.
It worked for us at the time. We were paying out $15 a week less so that was good.
@responsiveme (14361)
I love the fact that barter is still in use. The perfect answer to cashless...That's what is bring stressed here
It's not always easy to barter as each party needs to have something that the other party needs.
@MarymargII (8196)
• Toronto, Ontario
It's great when you get deals and sales from unexpected places that work out!
I think so too. It's good if you can avoid paying out cold hard cash.
• Toronto, Ontario
@JudyEv Yep, I agree. Especially when there's not an abundance of it--lol!
@MarymargII I used to swap piano lessons for hay for my horses. I'd forgotten that till now.
@DaddyEvil (21861)
The barter system can be a lot of fun, Judy! Dad and some of my older brothers were forever "swapping" things around the farm! You never knew, when you went to bed, what you might have to take care of the next day when you woke up! (Dad and my oldest brother liked to trade livestock! My next two oldest brothers traded wagons, cars, tools and sometimes, our bikes for other things!) Hmmm... It seems strange to me that you and Vince live on a farm but you have to buy milk! All my young life, we had milk cows. The last three years I lived on the farm I had to milk them twice a day. (I still think I fared better than one of my older brothers! He had to milk cows as well as goats for two years! LOL!)
We don't call our 18 acres a 'farm'. Perhaps a farmlet. A milking cow would tie us down too much and my back wouldn't let me milk regularly now - and Vince thinks the only 'proper' milk comes in a carton or bottle.
@DaddyEvil (21861)
@JudyEv LOL! Tell Vince he needs to get out and live a little! Fresh milk is delicious! We only had 20 acres when I was growing up!
@DaddyEvil He grew up in a town so I have to make allowances for him.
@DeborahDiane (15853)
• Laguna Woods, California
@JudyEv - What a wonderful idea. We did a deal with a neighbor one time. We needed a new fence between our houses, but he couldn't afford to help pay for it. However, he owned a business that made wrought iron furniture. We paid for the fence and he added a beautiful wrought iron gate next to our house. We were happy with the deal.
That's the ideal situation. The wrought iron gate wouldn't cost him too much but he gets his fence. Way to to.
• Laguna Woods, California
@JudyEv - We loved that gate, too. It was much prettier than anything we would have had, otherwise. It was a Win-Win deal for both of us.
That's so cool! I too love bartering.
I think it is a great way to live. I'd do more of it if I could.
Sounds like it was a good deal.
It worked well for us.
What a great deal seems bartering is a lost art
I love bartering. Everyone gets what they want without a lot of cash being involved.