How Do You Handle Negative Or Destructive Criticism?

Singapore
Almost everybody knows that we cannot please everybody. And each one of us, one way or the other in our life have encountered or recieved negative or destructive criticism from others that challenges our ideas, character or ability. Yes of course, negative or destructive criticism is a big blow to our ego or it hurts our pride and has an unfavorable effect on our self-esteem and confidence if we don't handle it well. How do you handle negative or destructive criticism in such situation? What are the most effective ways to handle negative or destructive criticism?
• Lakewood, Colorado
I do not mind what others tell me as long as they do not have to shout or raise their voice..I hate it. Also not in front of other people. And I may listen if they are nice..nice is the key.
@TiarasOceanView Yup you are right my freind it's always the rpoprer approach and the tone of the persons voice that matter to me.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@PatZAnthony (11805)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Often it is easy to just ignore such things, but when it can't be done, it can get interesting. Maybe asking someone why they feel the way they do might help the situation.
@PatZAnthony You mean an actual face-to-face and heart-to-heart talk thing my friend?
I would have no problem with constructive criticism - delivered in a nice manner.
@Kandae11 Yes constructive criticism is a bit alright compared to negative or destructive criticism.
@Deepizzaguy (7619)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
The best way is to handle it by thinking to yourself "The person who insults me cares for me." or Count to ten and that way your anger will calm you down. My late dad always advised "Water off a duck" or "In one ear and out the other."
@Deeppizzaguy Yes that's the most practical thing to do I think.
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
@magnumopus I cannot have a temper tantrum because it could lead to a health problem that could severely damage me.
@BettyB (4287)
• Summerville, South Carolina
If its someone I can avoid, I avoid them. When its not, I give myself a pep talk afterward.
@BettyB I will do the same; Yes it's really good to pep talk one self to cast away all the negativity or toxicity that a destructive or negative criticism could bring.
@josie_ (5117)
No one likes to be criticize even when they put up a brave front and pretend it does not affect them. Response can be aggressive or passive-aggressive. I prefer the first rather than keep my resentment bottled up. A sarcastic riposte always come in handy.
@responsiveme (14414)
As best as I can...not perfectly always.
@responsivime That's perfectly understandable since we are still human beings.
I was married to someone that would criticize me a lot. I would stand up to him because I knew he was full of it and di not believe up but before I would believe but learned he was not right in what he said about me to me.
@Shellyann36 (8618)
I think it all depends on the subject of the criticism and of course who is dishing it out. It is easier to take criticism from some people than it is from others.;-)
@jobelbojel (5054)
Very important not to take them seriously. I will turn those negative feedback as my motivation to move forward.
@ShifaLk (7323)
It is difficult to tolerate negative comments about ourselves but yes now I am mature enough to handle them
@Gabugs (1789)
Interesting query @magnumopus Hmm let's see. I would first try to understand that person's point of view. Did he/she criticize me in good faith wanting to help or just wanted to criticize and run me down. If I thought it was the latter which prompted the criticism, I would approach that person and ask for an explanation.
@luispas (1779)
• Venezuela
Well, I felt a little down these days because I show my friends a drawing I made (it took me a long time) and they say that was horrible and it is not something I do, but I was thinking and remember that they always rather to find mistakes on my drawings. Anyways, I admit I cry a little and I couldn't draw anything at all last week. I can't handle with those bad trades, it's harder when your friends are the ones who hurt you. So time heals everything, an option is to find anything that can distract us from those critics, and just hear the constructive side of it, discarding the bad.
@Ruby3881 (2088)
Unless I need to be around a person who gives destructive criticism, I will generally avoid him. If it's a loved one or friend, I will point out how the criticism is unhelpful and explain that it's hurtful. But even with people I love, if they continue to be negative, I will avoid them.
Negative criticism based on little or no knowledge is worthless. I just ignore it as what happens in the virtual world. Again if such criticism comes from those that matter then I will work on it.
@judithml (25)
I would say I am not good at handling destructive criticism... I am easily let down by toxic/negative people who attack my character and ability and even credibility. So, those are my life's current stresses. I still feel like a child who needs protection from the world or from some unhelpful, cold people. And make myself strong first while I hide, lest they wont stop until I am so depleted..And I don't know what it means except that I'm hurt and down and feel bad. It could be a relationship issue rather. And I don't know how I'd fix it myself. Wish I am an adult or my life was all smooth sailing. But some people are just so cruel to wanna attack you where you are weakest and are just unreasonable, in many areas.. and these are things I dont need to be burdened with...people's non-senses, people who take pride in believing they must be smarter grown ups...and they do have gangs.. and politics Don't know how I'd handle it. And I'm thankful for the relief that a positive caring person provides because he knows what's going on on my side which those kids don't.so that I don't believe that those negativity is all what is life really like. But those do affect me. because they have gang and supporters. What I really do is remove myself from the situation, but I am sometimes paranoid that they follow me to do me more bad things. Not sure if I related to your topic about criticism. Cos what I say does sound like bullying. It's actually like that, protected and twisted by some people. A little bit complicated, but it's real and it's been weighing me down for the past few years already.. Actually it's a bigger problem that have been bothering me for a while now...and I am just able to take it a little bit lighter by 1- staying as far as I can from those people, even if I know they wont disappear. And will always re-appear. But just stay away from them even in my mind.. and my plans. They did that thing to me during a vulnerable time when I was going through big changes and other life's challenges. So i hated them for wasting my time for no reason other than they make fun probably of some people, don't know for what reason, it feels to me that they like me to feel that they really know better and that I'm somewhat delusional to want changes that they don't believe I can make, or that I need to go through their own tests and trials and what-nots. Problem is I dont trust them much. They knew me differently when I was still with them, ie co-workers but his/her gang mates are not my past co-workers. Some people are just sick and they want to reign. Sorry for this rant.
@HazySue (17056)
I listen, ignore, and move on if it is offered to me in a negative or rude manner. However, if it is said nicely and quietly I listen, think about it, and maybe learn from it.
@Tierkreisze (1348)
Unless the person who does it is really good at it, I'd just shrug it off. People who do that are just worse than the ones they criticize anyway, they are just doing that to inflate their own ego. Try criticizing them back and they'll blow.
@Mareena (452)
Dear....ITS ALL UP TO YOUR MINDSET. IF A DOG BARKS AT YOU...WILL YOU BARK AT THEM BACK? IF NEGATIVE CRITICISM CAN DESTRUCT YOU/ANYOTHER...THEN IT WILL BE A GREAT IDEA FOR OUR NATIONAL DEFENCE/ MILITARY....THAT IS WITH OUT ANY WAR , ATTACK OR DEFENCE SYSTEM, WE CAN DESTRUCT THEM IN THE BORDER WITH NEGATIVE COMMENTS...LOL IN ADVANCE WE WILL SETUP MICROPHONE AND HUGE 5.1CHANNEL SPEAKERS...SO THAT THE WHOLE COUNTRY N TERRORISTS WILL GET DISTRUCTED TAKE IT EASY DEAR...Just fart in their mouth...
@prashu228 (22882)
As long as i can bear it.. Have a great day