Oooops! Should Have Kept the Door Closed!

Yesterday after our trip to the flea market we went into town to meet my grandson. He just turned 12 and I was bringing his gifts to him. He is not hard to please and I am thankful for that. I bought him a pair of dress shoes that he will need for his elementary school graduation, and a casual shirt. He was delighted with both. The shoes fit, which was a worry for me because you never really know if they will fit unless you try them on. Little Miss was in the back seat of the car and my grandson opened the back door and kept her amused. She loved playing with her cousin. We must have visited for almost an hour. Had to keep our visit outside, which is another story for another day. Not thinking about the fact that the door was open and the interior light was on the entire time. Ugh. Yup, as luck would have it, I started the car up and the battery was dead. Called my husband, no answer. Called my brother, no answer. Panic set in. Thankfully one of my former DIL's friends showed up and had jumper cables. The juiced up the battery and it started. I let it run for about 10 minutes and shut if off to see if it would start back up and thankfully it did. Moral of the story, never leave the door open and the light on.
I never do I forgot a door opened once and after that day I never forgot again.
@SonjaRae (1309)
It only takes ONE TIME! LOL
@SonjaRae At least our car was in the garage and my husband has a power starter.
Time got away on me. I won't forget sgain!
• Lakewood, Colorado
Oh dear Elusive sorry that happened with the battery drain. Ugh. So glad you got to see your grandson..
He is such a delightful young man. I hope to see him graduate on Monday. Not sure how I will manage it with the little one though.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@ElusiveButterfly Oh dear..someone to watch her no?
@TiarasOceanView I would have to get my older daughter to come over and then drive her home. That isn't an easy thing when you have a clingy child at night. I will have to discuss it with Hubby when he gets home.
• Marion, Kansas
Why do we even carry cell phones, we never can get our husbands when we need them.
Heather, that is how I feel as well. Now if the tables were turned he would have been furious!
@SonjaRae (1309)
@ElusiveButterfly hahahahaha, but you would have been "over reacting" if you were!
@SonjaRae of course!
Glad someone was able to jump your car. That would have caused me to panic too.
I was worried that the car wouldn't start when we went shopping later on. Fortunately it turned right over.
@Srbageldog We were in the store for a little over an hour and I had forgotten about the battery fiasco while shopping. It turned right over without a problem.
@dodo19 (24451)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
Good thing someone came by with some cables and was able to help you. I'll definitely remember that when we get a car.
I was a little ticked at my husband because I keep telling him to have his phone turned up and on him just in case something happens.
@dodo19 (24451)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@ElusiveButterfly I can definitely understand that. I would be upset with my husband as well.
@dodo19 He has the phone with him most of the time. But, if the volume isn't turned up he can't hear the call coming in. Frustrating.
Yes that is never a good idea. My neighbor had forgotten 5 times ti shut her indoor light off and if it wasnt for my mom and i telling her, she wouldnt have been able to go to work those next days.
@ElusiveButterfly some cars they do.. not yours though lol
@simone10 (22378)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I have done that before and am also known to forget and leave the lights on. I'm glad that you were able to get help with restarting your battery.
I wish I had the automatic lights that go out when the vehicle is shut off. When it is raining I turn on my lights. I always worry I will forget to turn them off.
@simone10 (22378)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@ElusiveButterfly That is usually when I forget, when it's raining. I'm not as bad as I used to be but like you, I always worry about it.
@BettyB (4112)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I've done that. It can be frustrating and frightening when you can't get ahold of anyone. I'm glad it worked out.
I probably would have taken the kids to the playground for a while. That is if their grandmother would have allowed me to do so. My granddaughter would have loved to play outside with her cousins, who are also my grandchildren.
I've done that before. Good the friend came along and gave you a boost. Glad your grandson liked his gift. Sounds like it was a nice little visit.
My husband read me the riot act when I finally was able to reach him. LOL. I was more focused on my grandchildren.
@SonjaRae (1309)
OH goodness! I too had to learn that lesson the hard way! Thankfully I have AAA! Glad everything turned out okay, and the visit sounds like it was delightful!
I forgot that I have roadside assistance with my auto insurance.
@SonjaRae (1309)
@ElusiveButterfly Ah, well there ya go for next time! LOL
@SonjaRae yes, if I remember that I have it!
@RubyHawk (12963)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I can imagine how frightening that was when you couldn't reach anybody. Glad It turned out all right.
If it had been in the evening I would have been a little more worried. Thankfully it happened in the daytime.
@RubyHawk (12963)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@ElusiveButterfly Dark Always makes it worse
We learn as we go in this life don't we?
Yes we do. Wish it would sink in a little better though.
@ElusiveButterfly .....Some have to have things gone over more than once. That's okay.
@mandala100 (2471)
It often happened to me that I leaved the light on resulting in my car battery being disharged. I'm glad that there's someone that helped you.
I was so relieved to get the battery a jump and have the car start up.
@ElusiveButterfly That's the good thing that happened in that situation.
pretty sure many of us have done that at some point or other.
@xstitcher (8496)
• Petaluma, California
Glad your grandson liked his presents.
He was delighted. Always is happy with what I give him. The child is so humble.