Anne's Birthday festivities were a surprise to us both

Photo is mine
Eugene, Oregon
That was Saturday. We got up, had coffee and breakfast; Anne had relaxed in bed with her daily crossword. As I stepped out of the shower, someone knocked on the back door, then it opened and someone came in. I grabbed my bath robe and was correct in assuming that it was our neighbor Janet from next door, coming to wish Anne a happy birthday. Anne was by now in the shower in the back bath room. I greeted Janet and said I'd tell Anne she was here. Suddenly (for drama), the phone rang; Anne's best friend was calling from out of town. I took the phone with me to tell Anne. She accelerated her shower and said she would call the friend back. Back in the kitchen now, I told Janet that Anne would be right out and excused myself to find some clothes. Once Anne came in to talk to Janet, the phone rang again, Anne's sister in Idaho. After all these things were cleared up, I suggested that we drive about an hour southwest to the little town of Elkton, where they were having a butterfly community celebration. Sadly, there were was only a lonely Painted Lady butterfly in the flight cage because a bird had gotten in and found a meal. But the adjacent library (huge for a small town) was having a sale, so we could not resist a grocery bag full of books for a dollar. We had a great lunch then headed home to rest for a bit before our dinner reservation at our favorite restaurant.
good for you and what kind of books are they?
• Eugene, Oregon
Almost all fiction, by authors we like a lot and they are like new.
@JamesHxstatic good for you there.
• Denmark
A bird ate the exhibits?
• Eugene, Oregon
That is what they said happened, yes. There are more eggs to hatch, so by the end of July, there should be a lot.
Great day for finding a bag of books on the cheap! Love to come across those kinds of sales. Happy birthday Anne!
• Eugene, Oregon
She thanks you and so do I! It was a fun day that we stepped in to.
Sounds like a wonderful birthday celebration.I wish Anne many more happy birthdays.
• Eugene, Oregon
Thank you! I relayed that nice wish to her.
A very busy birthday for Anne!!! Sounds like a lovely one too. Well, at least one butterfly was present for Anne's birthday.
• Eugene, Oregon
We need to go back down there in late July when there will be many butterflies.
That sounds like a very nice day. Sometimes the unplanned ones are the best.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
Glad so many people thought of your wife's birthday.
I never seem to make library book sales in time. Fortunately, I am very lucky at finding them for free or getting them (and giving them) as gifts. And, happy birthday.
@KrauseHome (33769)
Sounds like a great way to enjoy the day. Quiet relaxing and doing something you enjoy.
sounds like a great birthday filled with all sorts of friends!
• Eugene, Oregon
That is was. She had a good time.
That's a hell of a deal for books. Get anything good?
Happy belated birthday to Anne
• Eugene, Oregon
Thank you Marie!
Sad on the butterflies... But sounds like a great deal on books. Happy belated birthday to Anne.
• Eugene, Oregon
Thanks Jill, I'll tell her.
@DeborahDiane (16981)
• Laguna Woods, California
@JamesHxstatic - It sounds like you both enjoyed Anne's birthday. Glad it turned out so well!
• Eugene, Oregon
It was great, could not have planned it better, thank you.
Happy belated birthday greetings to Anne. I had a similar day, without the shower bit. Crazy when the cell phone and house phone rang at the same time! I feel so bad about those poor butterflies!!!!!
There is a flurry of texts and phone calls on the morning of our birthdays as well. Phone calls on the house and cell phone and texts on the cell phone. My husband's kids have a thing on someone's birthday they try to be the first in the day to get in a birthday greeting! lol Your day sounds nice in spite of the butterfly murders. (well birds will be birds)
I cannot believe that a birds ate all the butterflies, what a shame. Belated Happy Birthday to Anne.
That was a nice way to celebrate a birthday. With her friends greeting her personally, and her sister calling in to greet her a Happy Birthday. At least too, you too have time alone to celebrate her natal day.
@SonjaRae (4906)
Sounds like a nice, relaxing and yet eventful day! Happy Birthday to the Mrs.
It's amazing how doorbells and telephones ringing coincide sometimes. Nothing happening for ages then suddenly everything erupts at once. A belated Happy Birthday to Anne.