You can't fire me! I Quit!

Dallas, Texas
Remember that line from an old movie in black and white? Well that is what I told my boss man when I worked for the big K grocery store. He told me I was coping an attitude and I told him to lay off. He said, 100 boxes an hour must be stocked. I told the man That is a stupid thing to say to me sir. I went up to see the main man in his office and this big guy, a store security officer, I guess, or body guard. I told the boss man, You can fire me if you want. But I already quit. I told him what I thought of him. Boy that was a load off my chest. I felt lots better after that. When I returned as a customer a decade later, some of those who remembered me still say "Hello, how you doing?" Because they knew I was a good and honest employee and that I stopped working at the big K store because I was being unfairly treated. I used to complain about the shopping carts being found out in the local creek beds. I used to complain that the 2 liter soda pop on the top shelf were flat and spongy and had been sitting there a year. I used to complain that there were too many lazy courtesy clerks steeling food off the shelves when the boss man was not around and leaving candy wrappers and peanut shells on the floors. The guys on top likes my enthusiasm, and the guy from the American Food Workers Union told me I deserved higher pay for all I did. I complained about the store because I hated the way it was run. I would have preferred to be the manager, not a courtesy clerk doing GO BACKS. It was too stupid a job for me, a well educated person who aspired to things higher than cleaning out the trash cans and putting up with all those tyrannical dictators those little narrow minded managers and supervisors. I said, one day, you know, the thing that makes me different from the rest of you is I have the courage to say what I think and quit when I feel like it. No more mr. nice guy. I left that store as angry as can be. I was earning minimum wage at that time and only 25 hours a week. That was just enough to buy a cardboard box to live in underneath an embankment.
@UncleJoe (9281)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I once had to quit a good-paying job because, when they were being sued, I was instructed to go to court and lie for them.
• Dallas, Texas
You stood on your own ground. Never lie in court. Even if it is a tennis court. Love 40 ain't no shame in that.
Did the store improve after you complained? It sounds like you really cared about doing a good job and about what the customers receive when they purchase item such as with the soda pop being there a year that was flat
• Dallas, Texas
The soda pop was sold for ten cents a bottle and they restocked that shelf with fresh new ones that were up to date. The shopping carts were brought back from the apartments and the local creek beds and sent for repairs. Yea I had an impact on that store and I am glad I had the experience because I learned more from the job experience than the way I was mistreated by management. Not all managers there were as unfavorable to me as that one man who's name I will not mention. It is very hard to work in a job environment where your true potential is overlooked in favor of being labeled a subordinate and nothing more than that. The way they look down their noses on the workers is a reflection of the work forces in many US retail stores I think. Walmart seems to have a better approach and provides better support and opportunity for advancement than Kroger did at the time I was employed at Kroger back in the middle 1980s.
@lookatdesktop that Isgood you learned from the experience.do you have a job you like now?
• Dallas, Texas
@Marty1 , No. I am retired. I am not employed. I never had a perfect job. I would have preferred to be a musician or an artist. But then I am both, only I don't get paid for anything I do. I used to enjoy being in a band. That was my favorite fun thing to do and mostly my best friend is a guitarist who hates his job but would prefer to be a guitar player and singer for a band. We both grew up enjoying rock and roll . I guess I am a late stage hippy from the 70's. I will never change.
Aw sorry they were so mean to you Anthony. Yes I am glad you spoke up too. Of course it was not as if you were earning a fortune so just as well.
• Dallas, Texas
I never like having to lose a job, even if it's not my fault. It's hard to always do your job and stay in good standing with your employer, especially a narcissistic one. Most managers of grocery stores seem to be that type.
@lookatdesktop Yes it is bad to get fired for any reason or non reason..it messes with you for sure. Oh yes I have had plenty of narcissistic bosses.
• Dallas, Texas
I got fired one time...actually more than once, if I am being honest..I was given an option to resign however, that would have affected my unemployment so I would not.
• Dallas, Texas
Yep. It's a tricky situation. They know you need the money and they also know that by being fired rather than quitting will make it harder to get a referral to your next job. Quitting infers you left on your own accord and makes you less likely to have trouble to get another job. The thing is, being without a paycheck during this jobless time is a catch 22 situation, You are damned if you do and damned if you don't.
@lookatdesktop Things happen, and most potential employers are sensitive to that.